Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Maybe Stephen King really is Gan...

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Maybe Stephen King really is Gan...

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

he's not gan. he just knows gan.

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rosie real View Post
    he's not gan. he just knows gan.
    Exactly. He just talks to Gan every now and again.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

Discord Tag: Can*/Tommy (They/Them pronouns)#5588

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Well, if he is Gan, I'm going to drive to Maine and punch him in the face and ask "What the fuck did I ever do to you?"
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

That would be very disrespectful, if you ask me. I mean, he is the Almighty and everything...

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

In 10 years when some inquisitive non-believer asks me when exactly the dark tower stories became a cult
    I'll refer them to this thread
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

John F. Kennedy Lola Deschain is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

does any one else notice coincidences in their lives with the books when they are reading them?

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

No...but then I wasn't looking. Perhaps I should read the scriptu...errr...I mean the books again and pay closer attention to whats happening around me...

Big Pants; Little Feet Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus is a jewel in the rough Candice Dionysus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I noticed some seriously large similarities between the town where I live, and Derry. There's nothing exact, just some big similarities in geography of the town, and how its shaped. Like how in Insomnia he describes the downtown area as being "in a bowl," and how the people here all act as if bad things don't exist, at all.

Also, I notice a couple of traits that some of his characters possess that I, too, possess. But that's always random, and usually in passing, after I've finished the book.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

The Higgs Boson is Gan, duh.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well...in a way.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that link does really show how bright Stephen King has always been, and how aptly he focuses on socially pertinent subject matter. When he wrote The Gunslinger, quantum physics was already appearing in popular science fiction, but the kind of theological questions TMIB levelled about it are just now occuring in the mainstream.
    I think that TDT will probably grow only more relevant to our culture in the future.

Now, I really must switch over to contribute to the fascinating thread going on over on that site! Thanks, Brad.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    That would be very disrespectful, if you ask me. I mean, he is the Almighty and everything...
    Yeah, but if he keeps his eye on everything, then he needs to answer why he chose to put all the shit in my life that he did. And how about a little more of happy part, eh? He should know I'm devout. I've been reading him since Carrie.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Unspeakable View Post
    In 10 years when some inquisitive non-believer asks me when exactly the dark tower stories became a cult
    I'll refer them to this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Lola Deschain View Post
    does any one else notice coincidences in their lives with the books when they are reading them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    No...but then I wasn't looking. Perhaps I should read the scriptu...errr...I mean the books again and pay closer attention to whats happening around me...
    I seem to get sinus issues when I read The Stand, sometimes a full-blown cold or flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Candice Dionysus View Post
    I noticed some seriously large similarities between the town where I live, and Derry. There's nothing exact, just some big similarities in geography of the town, and how its shaped. Like how in Insomnia he describes the downtown area as being "in a bowl," and how the people here all act as if bad things don't exist, at all.

Also, I notice a couple of traits that some of his characters possess that I, too, possess. But that's always random, and usually in passing, after I've finished the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    I think that link does really show how bright Stephen King has always been, and how aptly he focuses on socially pertinent subject matter. When he wrote The Gunslinger, quantum physics was already appearing in popular science fiction, but the kind of theological questions TMIB levelled about it are just now occuring in the mainstream.
    I think that TDT will probably grow only more relevant to our culture in the future.

Now, I really must switch over to contribute to the fascinating thread going on over on that site! Thanks, Brad.
    I agree with both of these and would venture that the latter is the reason the former occurs to Constant Readers. King can take a typical image of place, character, occupation, or dramatic situation and transform them into something unique and multi-dimensional; however, it maintains enough of the generalities for people of widely diverse backgrounds to see their own towns (or know of a town like it), friends, family, teachers, etc... there.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm going to stick by my theory that King's not Gan, he's just a genius. lol But if we're making a cult, I'm in.
    Random PM's are loved!

Call me Can.