Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Guitar Solo(s)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well, as someone who has actually earned money as a musician I can tell you that you don't know waht you're talking about. What makes the radio pays, what doesn't does not pay. And all your so-called genius's can't make music that pays well......then they suck. Nuff said!!!
    That's a rather sad view of what makes for good music. The last I checked, with or without radio play Tom Waits still sells millions of records and lives quite well as do any number of other musicians who don't get played on the highly commercialized radio stations. By that definition of greatness, then Britney Spears is the greatest artist ever and are we really willing to make that claim?

I have nothing against Jimmy Page, I love Led Zeppelin but I don't think he is the end-all-be-all of guitar players. The same with Gilmour and Clapton. Great? Yes. Greatest, no. I also think they'd say the same (and in several cases, they have). That they get played on the radio doesn't make them great.

I'd also mention that an appeal to self-defined expertise falls on deaf ears. It's a fallacy to suggest that you have some knowledge the rest of us aren't privy to because you are/were a musician. Not to mention that I've played music long enough to have some clue of what I'm talking about.

But if it makes you feel better to think we're ignorant and you're the expert, go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    We were simply talking about music, n-one said "this is the best, everything else sucks I'm an expert" except apparently: u
    In fact, I specifically said we'd all be better served to avoid superlatives like "best" and stick to "favorite" and this was precisely why.

Gunslinger Apprentice Armand St Pierre is on a distinguished road Armand St Pierre's Avatar

Default on what basis?

There are so many different ways to judge something like this.....
    Is it a good solo because of it's technical merit, cuz if that's the case then we have an amazing array of folks who can dance with their fingers in ways that would take mere mortals years and years to measure up to.

Is it the power of emotion that emanates from their six string plucking, regardless of it's technical merit?

Is it pure popularity....what is hip or has been hip?

It's all purely speculative, at best, but I'll throw my favorite in just for fun.
    Elliott Randall's solo in Steely Dan's[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ItqbXe5JE&feature=related"]Reelin' In The Years[/ame]
    “A Human Thought is an actual EXISTENCE, and a Force and Power, capable of acting upon and controlling matter as well as mind.”

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"God always punishes us for what we can't imagine."
    SK

Quote Originally Posted by Armand St Pierre View Post
    It's all purely speculative, at best, but I'll throw my favorite in just for fun.
    Elliott Randall's solo in Steely Dan'sReelin' In The Years

Just heard that song the other day and was reminded of what a great solo it is. Some of Randall's solo stuff is pretty interesting as well, particularly the song "Soul Flower". That guy can play.

And in answer to your "on what basis" questions... all of the above. As you can tell from the range of some of the stuff I listed any number of things appeal to me.

How about Django Reinhardt's solo on the 1953 version of "Brazil"? Those are some pretty intense lines being played by someone with only two functional fingers on his fretting hand. His ability to phrase like that with one or two strings inspired Dickey Betts to write "Jessica" on which he solos just on one or two strings.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Well, as someone who has actually earned money as a musician I can tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. What makes the radio pays, what doesn't does not pay. And all your so-called genius's can't make music that pays well......then they suck. Nuff said!!!
    Because people place money in your guitar case to shut the hell up doesn't really count.
    Studio Muscian in Texas. Played on Elton John's album Captain Fantastic, as well as Head East, Willie Nelson and Meat Loaf. You guys are frauds so I'm out!!! Peace

Drummer by the way, and trust me I've seen my share of guitarists like you folks!!!

Wannabe's..... Go publish something and actually make a living at it, then get back to me will you? You all have lofty ideals but no sense of the reality involved.
    So we're frauds for talking about music and not being assholes like u? riiight...
    According 2 u music fans should never talk about music because they dont know what their talking about so they should just shut up? I dont care who says it, that stupid

If he is who he says he is then the person who just called us frauds is one Davey Johnstone, I looked up captain fantastic and found a guitar player who also played with meatloaf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_Johnstone
    Still, that doesnt give him the right to go around and be an asshole to everyone who isnt ridiculously opinionated like him
    The best revenge is as follows: I'm going to go illegally download every album I can find with him on it and then I'm not going to listen to them
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Well, as someone who has actually earned money as a musician I can tell you that you are all don't know what you're talking about.. What makes the radio pays, what doesn't does not pay. And all your so-called genius's can't make music that pays well......then they suck. Nuff said!!!
    That's a rather sad view of what makes for good music. The last I checked, with or without radio play Tom Waits still sells millions of records and lives quite well as do any number of other musicians who don't get played on the highly commercialized radio stations. By that definition of greatness, then Britney Spears is the greatest artist ever and are we really willing to make that claim?

I have nothing against Jimmy Page, I love Led Zeppelin but I don't think he is the end-all-be-all of guitar players. The same with Gilmour and Clapton. Great? Yes. Greatest, no. I also think they'd say the same (and in several cases, they have). That they get played on the radio doesn't make them great.

I'd also mention that an appeal to self-defined expertise falls on deaf ears. It's a fallacy to suggest that you have some knowledge the rest of us aren't privy to because you are/were a musician. Not to mention that I've played music long enough to have some clue of what I'm talking about.

But if it makes you feel better to think we're ignorant and you're the expert, go right ahead.
    So called "purists" who never made a dime plying their trade. Other term would be "Loser" lol lol Its all called a "business" boys and if you're not getting paid then you suck. Clapton and Page will tell you the same thing boyz. Its all about making a living not art. Name a "artist" who didn't get paid? Besides Wait lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I understand this can be a heated topic (although I don't get why) but I must ask that the personal insults are left out of the discussion.

Thank you.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Because people place money in your guitar case to shut the hell up doesn't really count.

I'm going to go illegally download every album I can find with him on it and then I'm not going to listen to them

*snort*dies laughing!You guys are killing me with this stuff, come on , its what's your fav. guitar solo for heavens sake.

I won't mention the rest of what's been said as Matt has.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

So what is your fav solo Linda? I know you listen to a wide variety of music styles.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

the only reason the subject got heated is because he showed up while we were peacefully discussing music and proceeded to tell us that only his opinion matters and that the most important thing in music is money,
    corporate dogma and people being extremely opinionated are 2 things which really bug me

I'll try to let it go now though
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Thanks for asking, wow, there are so many I love.I may have to really think on it.
    Y'all are pretty serious on this here subject. I like Luciana Souza, thats what
    I am listing to at the moment, awesome stuff, you know I like my saucy latin tunes.
    Did I ever kiss you for turning me onto Radio Jorge*kiss* I listen to it a lot!
    I will think about what my FAVORITE could be Carlos Santana maybe?

The answer is within

Carlos has definitely played some memorable solos in his career. The live version of "Jingo" from the 68 Winterland shows comes to mind immediately. I also have an album of Coltrane stuff Carlos did with John McLaughlin that is not for the faint of heart but definitely has some exceptional playing from both of them.

My Mood
    In Love

The Love Divine? I listen to that a lot too

A love divine is yours and mine......

The answer is within

The album I'm thinking of is called "Love, Devotion, Surrender"

My Mood
    In Love

Of course, I didnt think my title was correct, those are some of the words tho'
    I can hear it in my mind....great stuff, their guitars groan, scream, and cry together
    then take off flying!
    another one (heavy memories now) was called Caravan, not a best seller but stellar in the performance.

The answer is within

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

I don't know if it counts as a solo because it is kinda the whole song, but I love SRV's version of Little Wing.

Gunslinger Apprentice Armand St Pierre is on a distinguished road Armand St Pierre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    The album I'm thinking of is called "Love, Devotion, Surrender"
    That is a Jewel.

here's a few more of my favs
    Buddy Guy's Sweet Tea.....almost the whole album

Alot of Dean DeLeo's work with STP absolutely floors me. He's got a great command of keeping things in tune with the song while making his presence known. The solo at the end of Long Way Home (last song on Shangri - La Dee Da) is one of my favorite DeLeo moments.

I've been absolutely in love with Greg Koch ever since I saw him at a NAMM show way back when. The style might not be appreciated by actual "money making" musicians or their fans, but my heart doesn't give a damn.
    Spanked

Love them or hate them, it can't be denied that RUSH has stood the test of time. Their musicianship is a testament to their dedication to their craft. I honestly can't pick out one song that stands as a testament to their greatness as they are constantly progressing (something TRUE musicians should be aspiring to) but songs like Xanadu and "La Villa Strangiato certainly paint them in a positive light in my eyes.

If Dobro players count I'd also like to mention Jerry Douglas. wow....go Flux!
    at Merlefest
    “A Human Thought is an actual EXISTENCE, and a Force and Power, capable of acting upon and controlling matter as well as mind.”

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"God always punishes us for what we can't imagine."
    SK

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    I don't know if it counts as a solo because it is kinda the whole song, but I love SRV's version of Little Wing.
    It's all instrumental so we'll count it.

It is a very nice version of it for sure. I personally prefer Jimi's because I actually like the lyrics as well as the music, but SRV's is a great instrumental take on it. A lot of people try to ape Jimi's tone and few succeed, but Stevie did it nicely.

Love them or hate them, it can't be denied that RUSH has stood the test of time. Their musicianship is a testament to their dedication to their craft. I honestly can't pick out one song that stands as a testament to their greatness as they are constantly progressing (something TRUE musicians should be aspiring to) but songs like Xanadu and "La Villa Strangiato certainly paint them in a positive light in my eyes.
    Hell yes. The three of them are all great musicians and they have definitely evolved their styles over the years. Lifeson is a great guitar player.

If Dobro players count I'd also like to mention Jerry Douglas. wow....go Flux!
    Dobros most assuredly count in my book and he is at the top of the list of my fav players. He's done some great work with one of my all time favorite guitar players, Bill Frisell.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    That was going to be one of my picks, but I was hesitant to mention it for the same reasons.

Jayson, I like the lyrics too, but its so short on Bold as Love. I don't know if that's because the master tapes were stolen or what, but it had an unfinished feel to me... Overall, I like the rawness of that whole album. The first bar of Little Wing and the title track are my favorites.

Definitely my favorite of the Experience albums. You know the title track is my favorite of his songs. Talk about a great solo! I also really love "You Got Me Floatin'". First Jimi song I learned to play on guitar (I learned "Manic Depression" on bass pretty early but still can't play most of it on guitar).

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've gotta give some love to Tim Reynolds. I'm so excited to see him playing with DMB again. He adds so much to the band.

Here's one of his best solos from this past year. Two Step from Hershey. The quality isn't that great, but it's the only one I could find on youtube.
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNVDaxkEqQg"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=GNVDaxkEqQg[/ame]
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Geez I missed a troll, shame really. . . while I was gone I came up with another awesome song/ solo

The Outlaws- green grass and high tides.

Quote Originally Posted by ClicheGuevara View Post
    The Outlaws- green grass and high tides.
    For whatever reason, I used to love that song. It does have a very catchy solo.

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

has two very catchy solos!

True, I actually just youtubed it to hear it again (it's been many many years since I've heard this song). The solos are definitely of the "weedle-dee-deedle-dee-dee" variety but sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. For this song, it seems to fit perfectly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast