32 11.76%
  • 2 - not satisfied, although there are things I liked about the ending

25 9.19%
  • 1 - completely dissatisfied

8 2.94%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official End Thread

John F. Kennedy Pere Callahan is on a distinguished road Pere Callahan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess my general point is that from the first sentence of the book, Walter is Rolands ultimate adversary. Mordred has trouble controlling his bowel movements In reality, I would choose Walter to outsmart the brat. Also, his confrontation with Roland (if at happened at the very end) would further support the idea that "the ending is the same as the beginning"
    I guess in the end some think Mordred is great, while others think him a waste.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Callahan View Post
    I guess my general point is that from the first sentence of the book, Walter is Rolands ultimate adversary. Mordred has trouble controlling his bowel movements In reality, I would choose Walter to outsmart the brat. Also, his confrontation with Roland (if at happened at the very end) would further support the idea that "the ending is the same as the beginning"
    I guess in the end some think Mordred is great, while others think him a waste.
    I see your point but I can't agree I don't feel the same way.
    Roland was a real loner at the beginning. He had nobody he loved nobody and he belonged to nobody. So I don't feel we needed Walter at the end to show the brutality and the reality of the loop.

Roland would have understood.

Along the Path of the Beam Richie is on a distinguished road Richie's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I havent read the end yet

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by joe dirt View Post
    I havent read the end yet
    In this case

YOU'D BETTER leave this thread (and section) immedaitely. Don't spoil your fun. I myself met some spilers before I finished the series and I was really angry with myself.

Country
    Country Flag

Um.....then now would be the time to leave this thread

I hope you were kidding

Country
    Country Flag

He wasn't.

Pere - so good to have you here. I am following your posts all around the DT threads.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I stumbled across the site a few days ago. I've got about four years worth of debating on the last book to catch up on. By the way, your points are well taken.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Dont worry he wasnt reading, he was cheating to get his 5 posts in , I am right here with him!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Heath is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Heath's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

is mordrid in anyway related to the spider in IT

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think so..others may have a different opinion

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert Heath View Post
    is mordrid in anyway related to the spider in IT
    Distant cousins. Both the Crimson King and Mordred are partly descended from The Great Ones who are shaped like insects and I believe It is a Great One too.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeDaN View Post
    My main complaint with Walter after reading The Gunslinger Born was how he was shown to be able to use doors he made to travel to pretty much wherever he wanted. Now I don't own the complete graphic novel yet and I havn't read the other arcs yet so i'm not sure if he was bound by some rules and I'm not sure how much of a part King had in the writing of the comics, but if Walter yearned for the tower so badly, why not just make a doorway to it right away? And I also gotta agree with some of you out there, I didn't care much for how he died, I too would have liked to see a showdown with Roland. But in the end it is the way it is and I loved it.

Did you think that Walter even though he can make doors between worlds/times/places etc that he couldn't make a door to the Tower even if he wanted to?
    That's what I mean, they kind of leave it to the imagination. Like I said I haven't finished the arcs yet so I'm not precise on what his capabilities were, that is if they were revealed at all.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

A lot of things in the Dark Tower series are left up to the imagination. Having every little detail spelled out and nothing left to mystery would be awfully boring.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

A lot of things in the Dark Tower series are left up to the imagination. Having every little detail spelled out and nothing left to mystery would be awfully boring.
    And it's impossible as well.
    When you write down a sentence you open a door to the imagination in the reader's mind. If you write 10 sentences to explain the one before you give even bigger space to use the fantasy (because the new sentences open new doors).

Traveler Gantoad is on a distinguished road Gantoad's Avatar

I was both satisfied and dissatisfied. On one hand I find such an ending rather fitting for the nature of the story, with the wheel of Ka and the Tower of Gan. It's apropos. On the other hand, it means I don't get to read anymore of the series, and it leaves me feeling pretty unsatisfied. I want more; and I do not think the journey of Roland has even really begun.

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the party Gantoad

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't take that as a bitter remark at all. Just a smart-ass one.
    Ditto here.

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The End

I'm pretty new here so sorry in advanced if this topic A) has been posted and discussed before or B) In the wrong section [I’m pretty sure this is where is goes though but if that isn't the case someone just please move it ]

Ok well we all know Stephen King isn't that great with endings and he has said that him self. The ending to The Dark Tower is a love/hate relationship for me. I think that he should have left it as it was at first. [Roland shouts the names of all those who lives it costed for him to get there, walks in, and the door closes] I personally would have loved that. It would have left so many questions [and probably some angry readers] but it would have kept the mystery and what we envisioned at the top of the tower forever. I know he DID give us that option but i mean come on. After reading the whole series who was going to pass up the ending when it was right there in their hands? I know i couldn't. In another view the ending was good because it left it open for The Dark tower VIII. Though i do know not to get my hopes up. I'll just have to be content with The Gunslinger Born [Read that one], The Long Road Home [Didn't read that yet it's comming in the mail], and The Treachery for now.

Anyway i am curious to what other peoples opinions are on the ending. Did you like, it hate, love it? Was it what you were expecting? Were you expecting more? Were you disappointed? And anything else you have to say on the topic of the ending.

[Just a note: If we could please keep this thread focused specifically on the ending to The Dark Tower alone it would be greatly appreciated on account of i haven't gotten to reading all of Sai Kings books yet and I'm sure a few others haven't yet either. Thank you]

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jackie,

Welcome!

There's a pages long thread along with a poll on just this topic here: http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=376. Give it a read. It's a great thread full of fascinating points of view. Happy reading!

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok Donna, thank you i'll be sure to check it out

Country
    Country Flag

Jackie, welcome to the site. I hope we can have long palavers with you about everything.
    I'm gonne move this thread to DT7 section and later (in some days) it will be merged with the other DTend thread.
    (And don't be sorry about it, it's a nice big site, it's not easy to find threads. And we love merging. )

Anyway it's good to read your feelings about the end. I thik your perfect ending [Roland shouts the names of all those who lives it costed for him to get there, walks in, and the door closes] would have killed me.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Jackie, welcome to the site. I hope we can have long palavers with you about everything.
    I'm gonne move this thread to DT7 section and later (in some days) it will be merged with the other DTend thread.
    Anyway it's good to read your feelings about the end. I think your perfect ending [Roland shouts the names of all those who lives it costed for him to get there, walks in, and the door closes] would have killed me.
    Amen to that.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BeDaN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Anyway it's good to read your feelings about the end. I think your perfect ending [Roland shouts the names of all those who lives it costed for him to get there, walks in, and the door closes] would have killed me.
    Amen to that.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    I know he DID give us that option but i mean come on. After reading the whole series who was going to pass up the ending when it was right there in their hands? I know i couldn't.
    Ugh, I know!! I hate that! I'm entirely too curious to pass up reading the whole thing. King did that with another one of his books. (Not going into detail in case you haven't read it yet.) Like I am capable of not reading something that's just one page away. Pfffft! Sai King can be such a booger sometimes!! I still love him, though.

For the record, I felt somehow unsatisfied when I first finished reading The Dark Tower, but once I had time to ponder it, I decided I loved the ending.

Donna

Country
    Country Flag

I felt like I always feel after reading a book I love for the first time. I felt sorry it was over, and a bit sad because I can never again experience the newness of reading it for the first time, but mostly I felt like an era in my life was over. I started reading the series when The Gunslinger was first released to the mass market. I was practically still a kid when I started and as I read the last word for the first time I was a mother of three teenagers.

As for the actual last sentence, I've been using this internet handle since about 1996, so I gotta say I thought the ending was great! The moment I read it it just felt right and perfect to me. When I announced to my husband that I had finished, he said, "Good ending or bad ending," and my response was, "Only ending." ::sigh::

Donna

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast