PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

Darkday
03-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Justin Brooks has classified Cycle of the Werewolf as a novella in his bibliography (entry A22).

Randall Flagg
03-31-2010, 12:46 PM
No hard and fast rules, but I'll go with the definition the Nebula Awards uses. Thanks to Bev Vincent for the info.
Wikipedia is great. The opening paragraph for 'Novella' states:

A novella (also called a short novel) is a written (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writing), fictional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiction), prose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prose) narrative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative) longer than a novelette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novelette) but shorter than a novel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel). The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy_Writers_of_America) Nebula Awards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula_Award) for science fiction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction) define the novella as having a word count (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_count) between 17,500 and 40,000.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novella#cite_note-0) Other definitions start as low as 10,000 words and run as high as 70,000 words.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novella#cite_note-1)[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novella#cite_note-2)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novella#cite_note-3)

Merlin1958
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Here's what CD told the Mod at SKMB...

Once BLOCKADE BILLY is here and shipped, we will send SECRETARY #2 to press.
What a crock. I guess the UNDER THE DOME excuse was wearing thin, so now they have a new excuse. SOD II has been paid for, it should have been sent to press long before now.

To me the message is that CD has no money to print SOD II. They need the positive net cashflow from BLOCKADE sales to afford to continue the SOD II publication process that their customers already paid them to do.

I ordered my Riding the Bullet and Blockade Billy from The Overlook Connection even though they are getting the books from CD and Lonely Road (CD in disguise) just cause I couldn't bring myself to actually pay CD directly!!

I realize I'll probably get a second printing, but at this point I no longer care. Better that Dave should have to deal with them than me!!!! Actually, I should amend my collection such that if it ain't published by Schuster (et al) or DMG I don't want it. What incredible cojones they got over there!!! And they still send "updates" with no update info!!! They also expect you to order new books!!! I think they actually come from the "Lost" Flash-sideway's world. That's the only plausible delivery explanation. Its tricky getting books off the island and past Jacob. LOL :excited:

You guys want a hoot? Go back and read this thread from the beginning like I did. It's awesome!!! If King is actually, like someone else posted, trying to help these guys out with Blockade Billy he is in dire need of a Shrink. Lets see, the excuses I believe go as follows:

1. Chizmar's Dad dies, evrything on hold for a year (very sad, but c'mon!!)
2. Chadbourne does more art
3. UTD comes out (and that affects publication how?)
4. Blockade Billy is being released (No way we can send shit to the printer now!!! LOL)

That's just four that I can recall. Anyone else?

I don't understand how an author the stature of Stephen King can allow a publisher to treat his loyal fan base like this!!!

Rahfa
03-31-2010, 01:13 PM
That last post was dead on...

Really, the sad thing is this should be a moment of excitement about a new book, and because of the publisher's poor reputation, they get legitimately criticized instead. I have not the slightest sympathy.

johnsmith87
03-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, the obvious explanation is that he just doesn't know. He's probably being fed the same everything's-on-track spiel that they're feeding the rest of us. That, or he's not even aware that anything's wrong. I'm sure he's too busy with everything else to worry about a publisher not doing what's easily expected of them. Can't blame King for Cemetery Dance's misdoings.

Merlin1958
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, the obvious explanation is that he just doesn't know. He's probably being fed the same everything's-on-track spiel that they're feeding the rest of us. Can't blame King for the publisher's misdoings.

No you can't, but to think that he is unaware of the situation and CD's reputation is naive don't you think? At the very least someone in his employ is gotta be responsible for keeping him up to date on things. Someone actually posted earlier that he was trying to help them out. Yet he keeps giving them books and they keep disappointing fans. I think it was nerak who asked "Why not give DMG more work?" That's a damn good question. I have had some issues with DMG delivery which, were actually very minor and, pale in comparison to CD. They do just as good a job, if not better, of publishing the titles as CD.

We should start a pool on the actual delivery dates for Riding the Bullet and Blockade Billy from CD. LOL Put me down for Christmas 2010 LOL LOL

Ben Mears
03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, the obvious explanation is that he just doesn't know. He's probably being fed the same everything's-on-track spiel that they're feeding the rest of us. That, or he's not even aware that anything's wrong. I'm sure he's too busy with everything else to worry about a publisher not doing what's easily expected of them. Can't blame King for Cemetery Dance's misdoings.

Can't blame him but you can wonder why he would continue to do business with them when a small press like Centipede issues, on time, what many consider to be one of the finest SK limteds ever done yet refuses to allow that same publisher to issue any further limiteds while Cemetery Dance is afforded opportunity after opportunity to flounder with SOD and the like.

johnsmith87
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM

Can't blame him but you can wonder why he would continue to do business with them when a small press like Centipede issues, on time, what many consider to be one of the finest SK limteds ever done yet refuses to allow that same publisher to issue any further limiteds while Cemetery Dance is afforded opportunity after opportunity to flounder with SOD and the like.

No, you're absolutely right. I'd rather he publish with other small presses over CD any day. But I'd also like to think that if he actually knew what kind of disservice CD's doing to his work that he'd sever ties. I mean it's not like CD runs over and tells him every time they fail to meet their pub. dates for one of his books.

Randall Flagg
03-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Has anyone ever asked MS Mod @ stephenking.com to read this thread and consider pointing it out to King?
It wouldn't surprise me if King considers Collector's to be whiners (I disagree).

Merlin1958
03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Has anyone ever asked MS Mod @ stephenking.com to read this thread and consider pointing it out to King?
It wouldn't surprise me if King considers Collector's to be whiners (I disagree).

You know that's a real good idea. Wish I had thought of it. Probably the reason why you're a Mod here!!! LOL However, I don't have a SKBoards account anymore. Maybe you could be our emissary?

At the very least, perhaps she could shed some light on things with S.K. and CD that might take the starch outta some of our complaints or something. There's gotta be a reason he keeps giving them titles.

Ben Mears
03-31-2010, 02:30 PM

In this case collector's definitely aren't whining; just frustrated and disappointed with the way CD does business. SK would certainly understand and respect this position.
As for his knowledge of CD's issues I would guess from the very hands on way his official message board is administered and managed that he is well aware.

Merlin1958
03-31-2010, 02:49 PM

In this case collector's definitely aren't whining; just frustrated and disappointed with the way CD does business. SK would certainly understand and respect this position.
As for his knowledge of CD's issues I would guess from the very hands on way his official message board is administered and managed that he is well aware.

So then he just doesn't care? or maybe he gave them the Blockade title just to bail them out and get delivery of the backlogged titles out to the collectors? Perhaps, there was an "understanding" with the Blockade title between CD and King and he just didn't share it with the public for obvious reasons. He could actually be helping us out behind the scenes. I suppose its quite possible that there were guidelines set in stone for this title's release.

That would be a damn sight better to think on than the other choice which is, that he said "the hell with 'em" lol lol lol

However, I still think they exist in the Flash-sideways World!!!!!!

:panic:

Randall Flagg
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
You know that's a real good idea. Wish I had thought of it. Probably the reason why you're a Mod here!!! LOL However, I don't have a SKBoards account anymore. Maybe you could be our emissary?

I think I would be a terrible emissary. A good emissary would:

Be able to contact MS. Mod at Sk.com and entreat her to read the ~1,000 posts in this thread.
Present a strong/compelling reason for King to even bother with the issue.
Be impartial. (As a Collector that is difficult for me to do).
Have an elegant submission.

Volunteers?

Merlin1958
03-31-2010, 03:17 PM

I think I would be a terrible emissary. A good emissary would:

Be able to contact MS. Mod at Sk.com and entreat her to read the ~1,000 posts in this thread.
Present a strong/compelling reason for King to even bother with the issue.
Be impartial. (As a Collector that is difficult for me to do).
Have an elegant submission.

Volunteers?

You always struck me as an "Elegant" kinda guy, but OK. Perhaps our own Mr. Vincent? He's as elegant as they come. Don't ya think?

BTW good answer!!

I'd also be curious to hear what Mr. Vincent thinks on this subject. I read through most of this thread, but he seems mum on the subject. Perhaps, he has to be PC on this topic, but if you can Bev, I would relish the opportunity to hear your perspective as a published author and minor character in a King Novella!!

Ben Mears
03-31-2010, 03:53 PM

So then he just doesn't care? or maybe he gave them the Blockade title just to bail them out and get delivery of the backlogged titles out to the collectors? Perhaps, there was an "understanding" with the Blockade title between CD and King and he just didn't share it with the public for obvious reasons. He could actually be helping us out behind the scenes. I suppose its quite possible that there were guidelines set in stone for this title's release.

That would be a damn sight better to think on than the other choice which is, that he said "the hell with 'em" lol lol lol

However, I still think they exist in the Flash-sideways World!!!!!!

:panic:

Since Blockade is a first edition of a new story vs a limited edition reprint (SOD) I'm sure there were absolute deadlines that had to be met by CD as part of their contract.

SkippyD023
03-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Here is Ms. Mod's response when asked why CD keeps getting his work when they still have not published everything.

Originally Posted by Gris
I'm looknig forward to the novella, but I really have to ask...

Why does Stephen insist on publishing with Cemetery Dance over and over again?

I'll be buying this from CD because it's the only way to get it, but maybe future projects should be steered away from CD until they actually distribute the projects that are outstanding. I don't know, Like Secretary of Dreams volume 1 deluxe editions (4 years outstanding), Secretary of Dreams volume 2 (2 years outstanding), etc...

CD makes a great book and one certainly can not complain about the quality, but maybe it's time to give another small publisher a chance to make a name

Ms. Mod's Response:
Stephen has published with several small print presses; he is not giving CD exclusive small press rights. I don't know what the situation is with Vol. 1 deluxe editions--I thought they'd already gone out. I have this response from CD regarding Vol. 2 of Secy of Dreams:

We were actually prepared to print in the Fall/Winter, but Chuck (and the folks at Scribner) asked us to delay to stay out of the way of UNDER THE DOME, because of all their promotional efforts...so now we are set for Spring/Summer. Once BLOCKADE BILLY is here and shipped, we will send SECRETARY #2 to press.

CurtSeattle
03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Somebody tattled!

That isn't good news for Cemetery if Ms. Mod didn't know that the SOD 1 still hadn't been delivered. That means that probably the whole Stephen camp didn't know there were titles from a long time ago still undelivered.

Methinks there might be an e-mail asking what is still outstanding going to CD possibly in the near future.

Maybe not....shrug. As I said, I have a great experience with CD, but this thread is like watching a soap opera and I find myself hitting refresh on it a lot. hehehe!

And now back to our award winning show, "As the Page Turns" brought to you by Brodart, makers of THE protective cover of choice for King fans who care about their books. Who CARE about their passion! ...Statements and philosophies expressed in no way reflect the opinions of Brodart. Any such drama should be taken up with "As the Page Turns" and not with Brodart. Brodart is an equal opportunity employer. Go Stephen King. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming."

ibeforej
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Unlike other books that still have pending lettered releases, there's no mention of any "Forthcoming" Secretary of Dreams Vol 1 books: http://www.cemeterydance.com/sh/king02.html. It just states that the book is out-of-print. This is surprising since every other "forthcoming" CD lettered edition has a note near the bottom regarding what part of the printing process the book is in at that point in time.

Is the lettered edition the only one that hasn't been shipped out yet? I have a numbered edition myself and I had a gift edition prior to that.

Merlin1958
03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Here is Ms. Mod's response when asked why CD keeps getting his work when they still have not published everything.

I'll be buying this from CD because it's the only way to get it, but maybe future projects should be steered away from CD until they actually distribute the projects that are outstanding. I don't know, Like Secretary of Dreams volume 1 deluxe editions (4 years outstanding), Secretary of Dreams volume 2 (2 years outstanding), etc...

CD makes a great book and one certainly can not complain about the quality, but maybe it's time to give another small publisher a chance to make a name

Ms. Mod's Response:
Stephen has published with several small print presses; he is not giving CD exclusive small press rights. I don't know what the situation is with Vol. 1 deluxe editions--I thought they'd already gone out. I have this response from CD regarding Vol. 2 of Secy of Dreams:

We were actually prepared to print in the Fall/Winter, but Chuck (and the folks at Scribner) asked us to delay to stay out of the way of UNDER THE DOME, because of all their promotional efforts...so now we are set for Spring/Summer. Once BLOCKADE BILLY is here and shipped, we will send SECRETARY #2 to press.

My only response to this would be to ask you all to go back and read the posts starting around #720 forward on page 29/30!!!!

Actually, I am surprised they would tell Ms. Mod that line of crap!! Even if they were asked to hold off from the Nov 2009 release date, why didn't they send it to the printer in Jan or Feb? They're not even gonna send SODII to the printer until AFTER Blockade is recieved and shipped!!! That means MAYBE May/2010 to the printer, July/Aug 2010 they get 'em back and we're lucky if we get our books by Halloween/2010!!! LOL LOL All of that is a BIG "IF" LOL

We probably won't see SOD II until after the Yankees win the 2010 World Series!!! LOL

:dance:

Sam
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
You think the Yankers are gonna win the 2010 series??:P

biomieg
04-01-2010, 02:13 AM

Ms. Mod's Response:

I think it's good to bring the whole matter to Ms. Mod's attention... but I believe it should be stressed that the major issue is not the fact that there are (severe) delays per se, but the fact that 1) there's so much prepaid money involved and 2) CD just refuses to be honest with their customers (all their vague updates and evasive answers and plain ignoring of emails).

Surely, the delays are highly annoying and in some cases border on the absurd (Legacies) but honestly - aren't you guys mostly fed up with CD because of the prepayment drama and lack of honest communication? So that should be the essence of any complaint addressed to King's office (in my opinion).

Gris
04-01-2010, 05:02 AM
It floored me when Ms Mod responded that CD told her the SOD1 were all shipped. I'm sure I'll be able to ask again in 2 years when Riding the Bullet receives the "long-overdue" moniker.

I don't have a lettered edition on order, way to rich for my blood at the time, but someone (or many people) who does needs to go explain it to her.

herbertwest
04-01-2010, 05:02 AM
120 pages.
1st Review online :
http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/blockadebilly.html

Tito_Villa
04-01-2010, 05:17 AM
Thats intrigued me and almost makes me want to buy a copy!

Ben Mears
04-01-2010, 05:32 AM
120 pages.
1st Review online :
http://charnelhouse.tripod.com/blockadebilly.html

I'm in!

Rahfa
04-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Obviously, the normal s/l of SoD I has been released, and it's hard for SK's Mod to get excited about the 52 people waiting for the lettered edition...even though it's $1500 a pop.

Bottom line, I doubt SK really cares about the s/l collectors anyway...I mean, he's probably more amused than anything about the whole mindset, and he's not looking at a calender for delivery dates, etc.

We have to remember that from Mod's perspective, this is a core group of, what? 2000 committed fans out of millions? It's not a big deal to them, and has actually zero to do with him or his fan base. Collector's have ZERO leverage - we're still going to buy the trade books, and that's all that matters.

Am I impressed SK does business with CD? No, not at all. But other than signing a contract, I'm not sure SK has even the tiniest bit of concern over if or when an s/l comes out....didn't his interaction with Jerad consist of one short letter and that was it? And he sent some flowers to Grant one time, I guess.

It's just not on his radar screen...

I think we do the right thing by just sitting on the sidelines of CD's books...to me, it's like this Blockade Billy book didn't even get published. I'll get it eventually, but I totally have zero investment or excitement in tracking down an early copy. That's not my fault; that's CD's fault entirely...

Nerak
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
And he sent some flowers to Grant one time, I guess.

He sent flowers??? To HERE or to Don?!?! There were flowers from Uncle Stevie and noone PRESSED THEM!!! ok ok breathe! HE HE

anyway I don't see why he WOULDN'T care. These are HIS books. His publishers are getting bad reps for not publishing ontime. (Yes, I know we introduced LSOE in 2005, but we didn't take your money) There has got to be SOME POINT to be made that would make an impact. Don't you think?

Rahfa
04-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Haha...he sent flowers back in the Black House days I think...

I'm sure he 'cares,' which is different than CARES...I mean, he's got a million things on his plate...so why would he worry about the 750 fans who want to spend the $350 on a hobby he probably considers a little silly?

I'm not saying that's his feeling - but if I were him, I think that's where I'd come down on it. But...it would be really, really easy to say "meh, enough of CD, go to someone else." But he obviously has good feelings toward them for whatever reason.

Merlin1958
04-01-2010, 09:48 AM

Why of course!!! We expect to win every year!!!

And its YankeEs!!!!

LOL
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-02-2010, 12:17 AM

And its YankeEs!!!!

The spelling IS wrong. He put a "Y" instead of a "W". :wtf:

wizardsrainbow
04-02-2010, 04:33 AM

And its YankeEs!!!!

The spelling IS wrong. He put a "Y" instead of a "W". :wtf:

:thumbsup: Wankers, yup, that sums up the boys in pinstripes.

shnnrc01
04-02-2010, 04:59 AM
nice.lol.

Rahfa
04-02-2010, 07:38 AM
"The throw is late! Dave Roberts is safe at second!"

And after that, nothing else they ever do, will ever matter a single, slight bit...

carlosdetweiller
04-02-2010, 07:48 AM

And after that, nothing else they ever do, will ever matter a single, slight bit...

Except win World Series after World Series. 27 now and counting.

And speaking of defining moments the Red Sox (I am assuming that is your team) SOLD BABE RUTH! They sold Babe "F***ing" Ruth! And nothing else they do will ever matter.

And has anybody ever seen "No, No Nanette"? I didn't think so.

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Except win World Series after World Series. 27 now and counting.

And speaking of defining moments the Red Sox (I am assuming that is your team) SOLD BABE RUTH! They sold Babe "F***ing" Ruth! And nothing else they do will ever matter.

And has anybody ever seen "No, No Nanette"? I didn't think so.

Well, Pedro was sort of "Precious" wasn't he? Nah, nah Grady, he's got this bitch under CONTROL!!! And if not him....Wakefield will.............OOPS! :doh:

Aaron Boone will forever be my hero right up along side Bucky Dent for their momentus at-bats vs the Red Sux!!!!

LOL LOL LOL :clap::clap::clap:

Now that there is 3 vs 2 I say we move the discussion over to the Yankees 2010 thread boys and girls! LOL LOL Funny I didn't notice a Red Sox 2010 thread.....must have missed it! :doh:

Oh, anyone know the fastest way to get to Logan Airport?

Through Bill Bruckner's Legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-02-2010, 08:11 AM
What language are those people above speaking?

Rahfa
04-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Who's Buckner? Aaron Boone? Bucky Dent?

I know they weren't players on the only baseball team that's ever lost 4 straight games in a playoff series. That history goes on forever...can't be surpassed. Ever.

I'm not going to add a new post, to respond to the new bleatings down below...except to say that 2004 wasn't a "blemish," but the greatest, largest, most epic collapse in the history of professional athletics.

So you're right...you did make the history books.

That's a fact; cry if you want, but you know I'm right...

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Who's Buckner? Aaron Boone? Bucky Dent?

I know they weren't players on the only baseball team that's ever lost 4 straight games in a playoff series. That history goes on forever...can't be surpassed. Ever.

Just like 1918 - 2005. Either way you slice it we make the history books yet again. :rock:

You see............when you have such a rich winning history there has got to be a clunker here or there. We lost to the Dodgers in '55 too (Who's a Bum?). The salient point here is that for the Yankee's....winning is a regular thing. In Boston it only happens when the planets are in alignment, King is writing a book about them or some such foolish thing. Even when the Yanks didn't make the dance in '86 we sent the second team with MOOKIE WILSON!!to scratch your boys from the books. :nana:

I'll take all that winning and one blemish over all those blemish's and one or two World Series any day of the week!!!! :dance:

And now, after almost 100 years, they finally thought to themselves at Red Sux Central, Hmmmmmm maybe we should build the team a little differently and more like the Yankees!!! Yeah, that's the ticket!!!! We'll get Pitching and Defense and let the hitting come to us (sic). Only problem you still got is we beat your bullpen since Pedro's days. Starters were never an issue, its the bullpen where we feast!! Papelbon? please. You gotta go to Mo!!!!!

Call me when you get to double digit Championships boys! LOL We're still waaayyy ahead in the last 20 years!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Yogi have more rings than your whole team? Jeter too? and whatever became of the legendary NoMaaaar? nope, never got one. Williams? nope. Yaz? nope. Fisk? nope. Boggs? nope. In fact, Boggs & Ruth had to come to N.Y. to get one!!! They shoulda called it "Oh No Nannette!!!" :doh:

Ari_Racing
04-02-2010, 08:57 AM
There's no sport as cool and awesome as soccer.

My team is Racing Club de Avellaneda, and here's a pic of my team's supporters:

http://www.solo-racing.com.ar/noticias/2008/12147786159_1195950748_f.jpg

And we have the world's largest flag :)

http://www.tuttiallostadio.it/images/racing%20club%20arg%20tifo.jpg

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
That's Awesome, Ari!!!!!

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Ok, I officially abstain from any further baseball talk in this thread!! If you all would like to continue bashing the Yankees (LOL) we have a thread for that (2010 Yankees) in another more approved forum. I welcome your thoughts, comments and attempts to further try to better the Red Sox Legacy through disparaging the Yankees! LOL (J/K folks)

Question: I see that low and behold CD has actually delivered a King related title The Complete Concordance (Ok it took 'em almost 4 years, but hey). My questions is why are these popping up on Ebay for 35-45$, almost half what you had to pay CD for a book that I think is still available? And I would think was bought for a collection in the first place?

Others seem to expect that this will happen on the secondary market (in other threads), but I don't see how folks can afford to take a 50% hit on a book they've been waiting 4 years for. I may be naive or uninformed. Can someone more knowledgeable enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

Rahfa
04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
This is from CD's latest email:

"1) The first printing of Blockade Billy is in the VERY LOW five figures and we're over 50% of the way sold out after just FOUR days of sales. At this point, we can tell you these 1st Edition/1st Printings will NOT be going to any of the chain bookstores or big online retailers. 1st Edition/1st Printings are a must-have for any collector and this is EASILY the lowest 1st trade printing of any new King book since, well, probably the 1970s."

Since DT IV had only 40K trade editions, I'm sure that statement about 'lowest trade printings since the 1970s' is not really accurate...and of course DT I had only 10K trade editions, right? Which is about as low five figures as you can get...

Bottom line - a 25K (let's say) edition is a big deal, but it's not a life-changing moment. And, if you have to send another email to encourage sales, I'm not sure that is evidence of a really strong sales anyway...I'm sure it's going fine, but the hyperbole doesn't impress...

Ben Mears
04-02-2010, 10:26 AM

"1) The first printing of Blockade Billy is in the VERY LOW five figures and we're over 50% of the way sold out after just FOUR days of sales. At this point, we can tell you these 1st Edition/1st Printings will NOT be going to any of the chain bookstores or big online retailers. 1st Edition/1st Printings are a must-have for any collector and this is EASILY the lowest 1st trade printing of any new King book since, well, probably the 1970s."

Since DT IV had only 40K trade editions, I'm sure that statement about 'lowest trade printings since the 1970s' is not really accurate...and of course DT I had only 10K trade editions, right? Which is about as low five figures as you can get...

Bottom line - a 25K (let's say) edition is a big deal, but it's not a life-changing moment. And, if you have to send another email to encourage sales, I'm not sure that is evidence of a really strong sales anyway...I'm sure it's going fine, but the hyperbole doesn't impress...

Probably more like 10K but even if it is 25K and they supposedly had 1.3M hits on the website Monday, were mentioned in multiple media outlets, and had their mailing list grow to 35K, the sales % total is surprisingly low. If the hype in this announcement is accurate I would have expected the first printing to be sold out.

lophophoras
04-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Probably more like 10K but even if it is 25K and they supposedly had 1.3M hits on the website Monday, were mentioned in multiple media outlets, and had their mailing list grow to 35K, the sales % total is surprisingly low. If the hype in this announcement is accurate I would have expected the first printing to be sold out.

Same here.

Nerak
04-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah, when I thought of low, I was thinking like 5000...when I read low 5 numbers I was like, that's not a small print run. Maybe compared to what Scribner puts outs...but, low 5s to a small press is a LARGE print run.

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!

Merlin1958
04-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I believe their first email stated that the 1st/1st would be 10K and they got permission for an additional 10K (which I assume is going to Amazon, et al). I think they confirmed that to Ms. Mod at SKMB. I agree the hype was that NOBODY who ordered outside CD was gonna get a 1st/1st.

I ordered mine through Overlook and was a bit worried so I emailed Dave and he told me that he was allotted an amount of 1st/1st's with the baseball card so I can rest assured I'm covered. Not only do I get to support Dave, who I think is a really great guy and pleasant dealer, but I didn't have to pay those Ponzi Bastards directly before I got my SOD II!!!! A small Bonus, but still.......I have really grown to hate those folks at CD!!!

Although, in their defense, I'm sure "orders were coming in like crazy" was what it seemed like considering the orders were all coming to Mindy on her cell phone at the nearby Starbucks!!! LOL LOL :wtf:

ibeforej
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Question: I see that low and behold CD has actually delivered a King related title The Complete Concordance (Ok it took 'em almost 4 years, but hey). My questions is why are these popping up on Ebay for 35-45$, almost half what you had to pay CD for a book that I think is still available? And I would think was bought for a collection in the first place?

Others seem to expect that this will happen on the secondary market (in other threads), but I don't see how folks can afford to take a 50% hit on a book they've been waiting 4 years for. I may be naive or uninformed. Can someone more knowledgeable enlighten me?

Thanks in advance

While I can only speak for myself, I'm selling my copy since I have 2 lettered editions coming in...at some point. :rolleyes: I'd also rather go ahead and sell it, rather than have to store it and risk it being damaged.

Dolso
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
As a relatively new (compared to some of you:D) collector, I can only say that I would much rather trade my money with DMG than with CD. One of the first books I pre-ordered was through CD & I was just blown away when they charged me but I didn't receive the book for over a year. Almost stopped me from collecting -- I thought that that was the way this whole industry did business.............then I met Jared, Tomas & Stu! I'd credit them with my continuing lack of money!!!!;)

Fsmdr
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Camelot Books will also take preorders for 1st Blockade Billy with baseball card. It is not on their site yet but Kim from Camelot told me that they will be receiving them.

herbertwest
04-03-2010, 02:30 AM
I read a lot of articles on french websites about this book

funny thing: their email says its sold at 50%.. am sure that before i did read it was almost sold out (1st/1st)?

LostAlivE
04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
If they are a little more than 50% sold out of Blockade Billy then should they know just how many copies they are going to print?

The Library Policeman
04-04-2010, 02:39 AM
I ordered one 10 minutes a go. My first direct dealings with CD. I fear the worst!

frik
04-04-2010, 04:44 AM
I ordered one 10 minutes a go. My first direct dealings with CD. I fear the worst!

Don't!
I've been dealing with Cd for years - always a satisfied customer: excellent product.
Yes, except for some huge delays.....which I can't see happening with Blockade Billy.

sk

mikeyw
04-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Ms. Mod's Response:

I've been off the site for a good while so i'm just catching up - I CANNOT BELIEVE that Sk has given another book to CD......staggering - yet more payments to someone who fails to deliver........

why not let DMG have it - we'd see a dam fine book and get it delivered.

I wrote directly to SK's office last year after my attempts to get a refund from CD were ignored - I sent him all the details of the delays and false promises of publication and said it brought him into disrepute - in fact I published the letter on the forum. Sadly I got no reply. A real shame.

I did eventually get my refunds - after months of waiting, I was drip fed my money back......

I would advise anyone to steer clear of CD unless they are happy to simply throw their money away.....

Cloysterpete
04-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I would advise anyone to steer clear of CD unless they are happy to simply throw their money away.....

Comments like this really bug me, has anyone on here actually been ripped off by CD?, you yourself admitted they refunded you for christs sake.

Fact of the matter is CD produce some amazing books, yes they charge before they ship and everyone know by now that some books (not including Blockade Billy) are hit by ridiculous delays.

But you can ask for a refund at any time and you will get it, as far as i'm aware they have always refunded everyone who has asked, yes not in a timely manner but that doesn't mean people are throwing their money away by ordering with them so stop scaremongering with comments like that please!.

I'm no fan of CD and I only ever buy books from them that are in stock and ready to ship but enough is enough with these statements.

Sam
04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Actually Cloysterpete, I would argue that every person who ordered the Legacies book that was announced 10 years ago has been ripped off by CD. Ten years is long enough to be declared legally dead, and I think we can all agree that no one here actually believes that book will ever be produced.

I agree that CD produces some really PHENOMENAL books. They really do. Their dependability hurts them greatly though. Great product will only carry you so far. At some point, wondering if they will actually get that great product makes people wary.

The Library Policeman
04-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Don't!
I've been dealing with Cd for years - always a satisfied customer: excellent product.
Yes, except for some huge delays.....which I can't see happening with Blockade Billy.

sk

Thanks.

I'm actually really looking forward to receiving my copy. I got my Buick 8 and Secretary of Dreams on the secondary market and Cemetery Dance sure do make beautiful books. Of that there is no doubt.

Cloysterpete
04-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Actually Cloysterpete, I would argue that every person who ordered the Legacies book that was announced 10 years ago has been ripped off by CD. Ten years is long enough to be declared legally dead, and I think we can all agree that no one here actually believes that book will ever be produced.

I agree that CD produces some really PHENOMENAL books. They really do. Their dependability hurts them greatly though. Great product will only carry you so far. At some point, wondering if they will actually get that great product makes people wary.

Ripped off is when you lose money or have it stolen from you, anyone who ordered Legacies can ask for a refund.

I can't believe many on here are daft enough to let CD have their cash for ten years without asking for a refund, why would anyone keep a pre-order that long?, is this book the only way to read the stories included or are the people who ordered it so well off they don't even miss the $$$ they paid for it?.

For Blockade Billy i've ordered one of the copies of the second print run, I don't need no poncy card. SK Uncollected & the Bibliography thing I got from e-bay for a fraction of what CD charges and i'm hoping I can get SOD2 (not the S/L mind you) from Amazon.

e_taylor
04-05-2010, 04:51 AM

Ripped off is when you lose money or have it stolen from you, anyone who ordered Legacies can ask for a refund.

I can't believe many on here are daft enough to let CD have their cash for ten years without asking for a refund, why would anyone keep a pre-order that long?, is this book the only way to read the stories included or are the people who ordered it so well off they don't even miss the $$$ they paid for it?.

For Blockade Billy i've ordered one of the copies of the second print run, I don't need no poncy card. SK Uncollected & the Bibliography thing I got from e-bay for a fraction of what CD charges and i'm hoping I can get SOD2 (not the S/L mind you) from Amazon.

For international customers they charge your credit card twice, once for the cost of the book, and once for shipping. However there is no record of the shipping on any invoice, so when you ask for a refund, you only get the cost of the book back. In my case thats $15- $20 per book refunded that I've been "ripped off" on.

Thats a lot of stolen money when you consider the number of refunds they issue for dissatisfied customers. CD doesn't need a white knight, they need to fix their business model.

Rahfa
04-05-2010, 07:27 AM

I can't believe many on here are daft enough to let CD have their cash for ten years without asking for a refund, why would anyone keep a pre-order that long?

Well, yeah, but they ordered the book in good faith - so you expect to get what you paid for. What, the customer's a jerk becuase they are NOT asking for a refund? Then, in that case, why doesn't CD use good faith and cancel the book, refund everybody, and just start from scratch?

If a customer ordered a book for $500, took that money from savings to pay for it, then they lose any potential interest money - not much, clearly, but that's not the point. It's still LOST money.

I would have NO grief with CD taking as long as they wanted - or even a long time, like a year - to produce books. They behave appropriately when dealing with complaints - but they created the atmosphere that produced the complaints, so they don't really deserve credit for that.

And...CD brings this on themselves anyway, with their silly "in production" emails. Just do it - just produce and ship the books, and enough of this absurd babbling about they are GOING to do. If they did that, then there'd be nothing for people like me to be snarky about.

Randall Flagg
04-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Well said Rafha.

Ben Mears
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
And...CD brings this on themselves anyway, with their silly "in production" emails. Just do it - just produce and ship the books, and enough of this absurd babbling about they are GOING to do.

Contrast the above with a recent Centipede Press experience when I ordered The Fog by James Herbert: Not only was it published and delivered by the date advertised but it arrived with not one, but two Millipede Press "scratch & dent" books (I couldn't actually find any scratches or dents) at no aditional charge. A reliable and classy publisher with excellent products and service.

Cloysterpete
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes, we all agree that CD have some distasteful business practices but it doesn't achieve anything for people to come on here trying to stop people from ordering from them. It's just going round in circles, every-page you just get the same thing someone saying yaaa they've taken xxx amount of years to publish this etc.....

Isn't it about time this thread was locked now, it's not about discussing CD's books anymore now it's just about bashing CD business practices. I really don't think there's anything new anyone can add on that subject, we've had the same comments hundreds of times so I don't think anyone is going into business with CD without knowing what to expect. Some of use have stopped buying any CD books, others have taken to ordering from ebay etc whereas others stay with CD and spend the years between book publications in this thread telling us all how badly they've been treated by CD.......as if it's something we've not heard before:pullhair:

Ben - Careful with your quotations please, you've made it look like I posting that comment when it wasn't mine.

lophophoras
04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Personally, I think there is justification to keep the thread open. This is a open forum and people should be able to voice whatever opinion they choose.

If this thread offends or disturbs you , maybe a alternative would be to not read it???

I avoid the threads I don't care to read. Very simple, really.

Patrick
04-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi. The reason that this thread was originally created was because the high level of dissatisfaction on the part of collectors was taking other threads off-track - not all at the same time, but it was happening in multiple threads fairly constantly. Therefore we broke the early discussions out of those threads to form the basis of this one.

Once Cemetery Dance gets all caught up with their production schedule, or refunds everyone for the books they'll likely never produce, then this thread should die from natural causes. Until then it stays open so that none of us have to wade through CD dissatisfaction discussions in the other threads.

Hope that sheds some light. Thank you.

e_taylor
04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Personally, I think there is justification to keep the thread open. This is a open forum and people should be able to voice whatever opinion they choose.

If this thread offends or disturbs you , maybe a alternative would be to not read it???

I avoid the threads I don't care to read. Very simple, really.

Agreed. Also, as in the Flatsigned thread, if the proprietors wish to come and defend themselves, they are more than welcome to.

mikeyw
04-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Comments like this really bug me, has anyone on here actually been ripped off by CD?, you yourself admitted they refunded you for christs sake.

Fact of the matter is CD produce some amazing books, yes they charge before they ship and everyone know by now that some books (not including Blockade Billy) are hit by ridiculous delays.

But you can ask for a refund at any time and you will get it, as far as i'm aware they have always refunded everyone who has asked, yes not in a timely manner but that doesn't mean people are throwing their money away by ordering with them so stop scaremongering with comments like that please!.

I'm no fan of CD and I only ever buy books from them that are in stock and ready to ship but enough is enough with these statements.

Yes, I was ripped off.

If you deal with CD you are being ripped off.

Let me put it this way - you advertise an enticing product, a limited edition from one of the worlds most collectible authors. You then take all the money up front. You do this for not just one, but several publications - and guess what, you NEVER PUBLISH ANY. You NEVER DELIVER ANY.

You pocket the cash and then fend off the requests for information, for product and refunds.

Yes, I got a refund. But I did still get ripped off - what epse could I have done with that money in that time, what did I loose in exchange rate conversions, and credit card fees?....plenty.

Put simply it is a dishonest and fraudulent way to do 'business' if you can call it that.

Scam merchants is what they are - pure and simple - they tarnish the good name of specialist publishers the world over and why SK continues to allow them to 'publish' his work is beyond me.

They are a joke - and I maintain that frankly as SK fans and collectors we should boycott them, as they prey on our desire to have the limited editions and are taking us to be fools.....and I dont much like that.

I dont deny that the SD is a lovely book, but do the maths - they are sat on tens of thousands of dollars of collectors money - and doing what with it - living off it, thats what.

Rahfa
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Once Cemetery Dance gets all caught up with their production schedule, or refunds everyone for the books they'll likely never produce, then this thread should die from natural causes. Until then it stays open so that none of us have to wade through CD dissatisfaction discussions in the other threads.

It would go the other way...we'd all talk about great CD is, and how they turned themselves around, etc.

Believe me, I will the FIRST person to call myself a jerk for missing out on a cool s/l edition that is annouced, produced and shipped in a timely way. I have Buick 8 - great looking book! From order to shipment wasn't even six months. Great job! But that was in 2002...

demorgan
04-05-2010, 04:13 PM
This thread also provides a cautionary tale to people who may be new to thedarktower.org.

Randall Flagg
04-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Isn't it about time this thread was locked now,
No.
Defend CD all you wish, but this thread will remain alive. Whether it provides positive or negative comments, (BTW, it's fairly civil around here) largely depends on the actual results CD produces.

This thread also provides a cautionary tale to people who may be new to thedarktower.org.

Perfect.

frik
04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I have Buick 8 - great looking book! From order to shipment wasn't even six months. Great job! But that was in 2002...

Definitely!
And even the lettered edition came out on time!

sk

Merlin1958
04-06-2010, 07:43 AM

And better to blow off steam here than to Mindy Jarusek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:excited::excited::excited:

Nerak
04-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes, I was ripped off.

If you deal with CD you are being ripped off.

Let me put it this way - you advertise an enticing product, a limited edition from one of the worlds most collectible authors. You then take all the money up front. You do this for not just one, but several publications - and guess what, you NEVER PUBLISH ANY. You NEVER DELIVER ANY.

You pocket the cash and then fend off the requests for information, for product and refunds.

Yes, I got a refund. But I did still get ripped off - what epse could I have done with that money in that time, what did I loose in exchange rate conversions, and credit card fees?....plenty.

Put simply it is a dishonest and fraudulent way to do 'business' if you can call it that.

Scam merchants is what they are - pure and simple - they tarnish the good name of specialist publishers the world over and why SK continues to allow them to 'publish' his work is beyond me.

They are a joke - and I maintain that frankly as SK fans and collectors we should boycott them, as they prey on our desire to have the limited editions and are taking us to be fools.....and I dont much like that.

I dont deny that the SD is a lovely book, but do the maths - they are sat on tens of thousands of dollars of collectors money - and doing what with it - living off it, thats what.

Mike,

Did you ever hear back from his office about that letter?

Cloysterpete
04-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Defend CD all you wish

I didn't realize I had ever defended CD lol, I thought that all I said was that I didn't agree that CD ripped people off as you all knew what you were getting yourself into when you ordered off them.......yesssssssssss I do realise that doesn't make it acceptable for CD to operate as they do*sigh*.

Someone else even said I was CD's White Knight or words to that effect and the lophop please rest assured that this thread doesn't offend or disturb me in any way, it's al entertainment after all ;)

I can honestly say I've got no reason to defend CD, it wouldn't make a great deal of difference to me if they went under, I doubt they will though, operating this way obviously brings in lots of money for them, especially as you collector's just keep on ordering from them no matter what shit they throw your way!.

lophophoras
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Defend CD all you wish

I didn't realize I had ever defended CD lol, I thought that all I said was that I didn't agree that CD ripped people off as you all knew what you were getting yourself into when you ordered off them.......yesssssssssss I do realise that doesn't make it acceptable for CD to operate as they do*sigh*.

Someone else even said I was CD's White Knight or words to that effect and the lophop please rest assured that this thread doesn't offend or disturb me in any way, it's al entertainment after all ;)

I can honestly say I've got no reason to defend CD, it wouldn't make a great deal of difference to me if they went under, I doubt they will though, operating this way obviously brings in lots of money for them, especially as you collector's just keep on ordering from them no matter what shit they throw your way!.

Yeah, it definitely can be pretty entertaining at times. And very informative as well.

;)

Merlin1958
04-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Defend CD all you wish

I didn't realize I had ever defended CD lol, I thought that all I said was that I didn't agree that CD ripped people off as you all knew what you were getting yourself into when you ordered off them.......yesssssssssss I do realize that doesn't make it acceptable for CD to operate as they do*sigh*.

Cloyster, I guess, from your post, that you are not a collector. I would venture to say that the majority of those posting in this thread are collectors. That is why we get particularly upset with CD because as a collector you just HAVE to have these books. I would venture to say that there is a little OCD in all collectors which, I suppose is what makes us collectors! LOL I guess also, at least in my case, you feel a little bit betrayed as a fan/collector that SK keeps giving CD titles to print and they keep screwing collectors over. However, overall, the fact that CD preys upon collectors, at least to me, is even more insidious precisely because they are aware of that fact and are taking unfair advantage of it.

Maybe this shed's some light on why folks in this thread tend to bash CD. Not to mention that business practices such as they exhibit are just outlandish in and of itself. It just breeds frustration in all collector's and fans as well. Personally, what really gets me going, is the associated attitude they display of "shut up, ask for a refund, or just sit and swallow the swill" that plus the intermittent sales/info e-mails just drive me nuts!!!! It's like they are sticking their collective tongues out at you and yelling Nananana!!!!

But, perhaps that's just MHO and no one else's.

Randall Flagg
04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
please rest assured that this thread doesn't offend or disturb me in any way, it's al entertainment after all ;)

To a great degree it is.:couple:

Cloysterpete
04-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah I think it is safe to safe that if I was shelling out top $$$ for the S/L (I mostly only go for 'Gift' editions) promised by CD that I might not have quite such a relaxed attitude to CD incompetence.

Rahfa
04-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah, Merlin makes a lot of very good points...

I'm so turned off by their inability to publish books that it affects my interest in collecting other books...it sort of kills the buzz if what's meant to be a hobby turns into this kind of impatience and questions about business practices....It's supposed to be fun, after all, and while I have no problem spending silly money for a book - I do WANT the book and not feel like I'm being suckered like a sap...

So CD took the fun away, and for that I can't forgive them...but it IS fun for me to snarky on this thread, so that's the payback.

"You broke my heart, Fredo. You broke my heart."...Haha...

Patrick
04-06-2010, 03:20 PM
:lol: Nice Godfather reference, Rahfa. I didn't know that Cemetery Dance was like a brother to you.

The only reason I preordered SOD, Vol. II is because I want the number to match my Vol. I. So you see, they always find a way to hook you back in. :doh:

Randall Flagg
04-06-2010, 05:14 PM

I'm so turned off by their inability to publish books that it affects my interest in collecting other books...it sort of kills the buzz if what's meant to be a hobby turns into this kind of impatience and questions about business practices....It's supposed to be fun, after all, and while I have no problem spending silly money for a book - I do WANT the book and not feel like I'm being suckered like a sap...

So CD took the fun away, and for that I can't forgive them...but it IS fun for me to snarky on this thread, so that's the payback.

Could not resist. Please forgive me, it's only 15 seconds.

YouTube- Godfather II: You broke my heart Fredo

Patrick
04-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh man, now I want to watch the full movie again.

Speculative question for everyone just for kicks:

Let's assume that CD uses the cash flow from BILLY to finance the printing and production of SOD II and actually ships it sometime before the end of 2009.

Anyone think that there will be a SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volume III?

Fsmdr
04-06-2010, 08:24 PM

God fobid!. I am NOT going through with another CD cat and mouse game. Matching numbers be dammed!.

BlackVeil
04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
As a relatively new (compared to some of you:D) collector, I can only say that I would much rather trade my money with DMG than with CD.

I am a newbie, and sorry if this is a dumb question - but what is DMG?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I am a newbie, and sorry if this is a dumb question - but what is DMG?

DMG is the Publisher Donald M Grant. They first published the Dark Tower books.

https://secure.grantbooks.com/

Lenny
04-07-2010, 03:15 AM

Excellent post Rahfa. :thumbsup:

Lenny
04-07-2010, 03:18 AM

I'm reporting you and your post to one of the mods here...

lophophoras
04-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Oh man, now I want to watch the full movie again.

Speculative question for everyone just for kicks:

Let's assume that CD uses the cash flow from BILLY to finance the printing and production of SOD II and actually ships it sometime before the end of 2009.

In a sick, very sick way, I kinda hope they do. Simply because Glenn really does some great illustrations and it is neat to see King's stories through his eyes.

====> Time to run before someone throws something at me for actually saying that out loud.... :panic:

The Library Policeman
04-07-2010, 03:47 AM

My unborn great grandchildren certainly hope so! :evil:

carlosdetweiller
04-07-2010, 04:03 AM

In a sick, very sick way, I kinda hope they do. Simply because Glenn really does some great illustrations and it is neat to see King's stories through his eyes.

====> Time to run before someone throws something at me for actually saying that out loud.... :panic:

I'm definitely in a different camp on this. Chadbourne's artwork in small doses is OK (I guess). But looking at a whole book of his work makes me tired. I always thought SOD 1 was a book that didn't need to be done. IMO it was just a bone that King threw to a fellow Maine resident (Chadbourne) and CD. There was really no other explanation to explain the publication of such tedious stuff. Just my opinion, of course, but the thought of a SOD 3 sort of creeps me out.

lophophoras
04-07-2010, 04:05 AM

I'm definitely in a different camp on this. Chadbourne's artwork in small doses is OK (I guess). But looking at a whole book of his work makes me tired. I always thought SOD 1 was a book that didn't need to be done. IMO it was just a bone that King threw to a fellow Maine resident (Chadbourne) and CD. There was really no other explanation to explain the publication of such tedious stuff. Just my opinion, of course, but the thought of a SOD 3 sort of creeps me out.

LOL...

Room 217 Caretaker
04-07-2010, 04:31 AM

I'm on the other side of the river and down the hill a little from Bob's camp.

I've always enjoyed the short stories by King but when Glenn got a hold of them for SOD I & II for illustration, I feel he brought Kings Stories to life.

What do I mean by that comment?

When I read a King story he takes my imagination down paths, corridors and always keeps me guessing to what’s around the next corner. When I study the illustrations Glenn did with SOD I & II I feel he brings King's story to life in a very eerie way.

What Glenn put down in ink is what my imagination saw during the read.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Tito_Villa
04-07-2010, 04:52 AM
I have to agree with Ralph on this one, i love the way that Glenn brings the stories to life.

But i do really like Glenns illustrations and have just recieved a remarqued book today that i might start off a collection thread later!

carlosdetweiller
04-07-2010, 05:12 AM
Yes, art is subjective. What turns one person on leaves another cold. I guess I just don't think Chadbourne is very good. I can't look at his stuff for very long. Just my opinion.

Lenny
04-07-2010, 05:29 AM
I really like the concept of the SOD books. I like seeing short stories illustrated like that, kind of a new twist on graffic novels I guess. With that said I would like to have seen these done by a different artist. Like Bob said Chadbourne's work tires me out. I think he is a good artist I'm just not a big fan.

jhanic
04-07-2010, 06:09 AM
I am also one of the ones who ordered SODII to get a matching number with my SODI. I never thought almost three years later I'd still be waiting. If there is ever a SODIII, I'll wait until it's actually published (I'm not getting any younger here--I could kick off before it actually comes out) to order a copy and the heck with the matching number.

John

Merlin1958
04-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Great Post Rahfa!! Love the Godfather quote!!!

Ordering from CD is my penance for being a Yankee fan and all those titles!!!!!

Red Sox fans continue to order from CD because they are accustomed to the pain & disappointment!!!

(Ducks as miscellaneous debris & furniture is chucked at his head by minions of Red Sox fans on this site!!) :unsure::unsure::unsure:

LOL

But seriously as far as CD is concerned:

"leave the gun, take the cannoli's"

ibeforej
04-07-2010, 11:16 AM
I am also one of the ones who ordered SODII to get a matching number with my SODI. I never thought almost three years later I'd still be waiting. If there is ever a SODIII, I'll wait until it's actually published (I'm not getting any younger here--I could kick off before it actually comes out) to order a copy and the heck with the matching number.

John

You know- this is something I've considered myself. I should have many years ahead of me, but if something were to happen, CD would save some $$. My husband has no tolerance for this kind of thing and would probably tell them to just stop sending the books rather than trying to figure out what to do with them.

Little did I know, it wasn't just the lifetime subs that might be the problem, but my regular preorders too. :)

Rahfa
04-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Red Sox fans continue to order from CD because they are accustomed to the pain & disappointment!!!

There is no pain - just two Rings and redemption. I told you before - the Yankees needed to win every time, the Sox just once. The Yankees are irrelevant - they can win every year for the next 1,000 and it won't matter a whit. They had their moment, and Jeter didn't make the play.

Rahfa
04-07-2010, 02:14 PM

John

This is exactly what I'm talking about - I did NOT order SOD II...so now I can't get a matching number of all the books...so it makes my effort to get as many matching books with the same # impossible, because I'm going to be missing that one...and any others that CD publishes...

Yeah, I might get the book, but so what? It won't have the number and that's really what I'm focused on.

BlackVeil
04-07-2010, 02:30 PM
[quote=jhanic;501442]
You know- this is something I've considered myself. I should have many years ahead of me, but if something were to happen, CD would save some $$. My husband has no tolerance for this kind of thing and would probably tell them to just stop sending the books rather than trying to figure out what to do with them.

Little did I know, it wasn't just the lifetime subs that might be the problem, but my regular preorders too. :)

How appropriate that a publisher of gothic tales should have a vested interest in the the death of their readers! :):)

Patrick
04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
You guys are cracking me up with your responses to this. Pretty interesting too.

In terms of Glenn's artwork, I totally get how it can be overwhelming. It has that effect on me if I'm not in the right mood for it - I couldn't look at it every day like I could with some other artists' work, that's for sure. However I really love SOD I because I do like Glenn's artwork and because the book is so completely different from any other King S/L that I own. And the production quality was high - to CD's full credit. I'm looking forward to receiving SOD II someday, hopefully before the end of 2010.

If some time goes by after receipt of the book, and then CD announces a Volume III, I'm going to be torn about the preorder and I can't say with certainty how I would respond.

I'd like to think that we would all just wait until the book is released, buy up the copies and then work a big trade so everyone gets the number they want. Probably wouldn't happen, but it seems more realistic than my other pipe dream where CD publishes a book within a year of taking my preorder money.

Ari_Racing
04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Artwork samples and the cover and back side of the card :)

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/wp-content/uploads/billy1-lr.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/wp-content/uploads/billy6-lr.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/wp-content/uploads/billy2-lr.jpg

http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/wp-content/uploads/BBCardFrontFinal.jpg http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/wp-content/uploads/BBCardBackFinal.jpg

jhanic
04-08-2010, 01:27 PM
The latest email from CD says that almost all the SECOND printing of Blockade Billy will be going mostly to libraries, and that on-line booksellers such as Amazon will not be getting any copies. They have also limited to three the number of first printings you're allowed to order.

We can now confirm that even our SECOND printing will NOT appear in any bookstores or be shipped to any of the online booksellers like Amazon! So if you ordered a copy from one of those places, you're going to miss out on the Stephen King event of the spring! Ordering through our our online store is the ONLY way to make sure you receive a copy of the Cemetery Dance edition!

Interesting!

John

Cutter
04-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Come on people give some love to CD. You all know you love their books and practices. :couple:

Rahfa
04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm going to order a copy through Amazon and see what happens...bet I get it.

ibeforej
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm as big of a fan of Amazon preorders as I am CD's. Granted the delay on Amazon may only be a few weeks, but I rarely preorder anything through them anymore unless they offer an awesome incentive.

ibeforej
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/wp-content/uploads/BBCardFrontFinal.jpg

Anybody know who this is?

Cloysterpete
04-09-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm as big of a fan of Amazon preorders as I am CD's. Granted the delay on Amazon may only be a few weeks, but I rarely preorder anything through them anymore unless they offer an awesome incentive.

How can you fault Amazon's pre-orders?, if an Amazon pre-order is ever delayed how often can you say it's Amazons fault?. Only time i've ever had a delay with an Amazon order is because the publisher changed the release date, nothing Amazon can do about that is there.

Plus they do offer an awesome incentive!. 46% discount on CD price!!!, actually more than that as I bet Amazon's shipping is cheaper.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Does anyone think these baseball cards could become rare?

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/cards1.jpg

carlosdetweiller
04-09-2010, 03:42 AM

Maybe a warehouse fire at CD would destroy them all leaving yours as the only ones in existence?

Otherwise..........no.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-09-2010, 04:45 AM

Maybe a warehouse fire at CD would destroy them all leaving yours as the only ones in existence?

Otherwise..........no.

I wonder when we will see the first William Blakely signed baseball card appear on Ebay. :wtf:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

gsvec
04-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Billy's birthday :lol:

Rahfa
04-09-2010, 06:47 AM

How can you fault Amazon's pre-orders?, if an Amazon pre-order is ever delayed how often can you say it's Amazons fault?. Only time i've ever had a delay with an Amazon order is because the publisher changed the release date, nothing Amazon can do about that is there.

Plus they do offer an awesome incentive!. 46% discount on CD price!!!, actually more than that as I bet Amazon's shipping is cheaper.

Yeah, I don't get it either....Amazon doesn't produce any of it themselves...there is no 'delay,' they ship when they recieve the books.

But - CD is probably right...they aren't going to give AZ any books, so an order would be futile...I can't remember what book I once ordered, but it got cancelled afterwards.

Merlin1958
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
They're probably playing with fire, mixing it up with Amazon and B&N. But then, they may not be in business long enough to have to weather any repercussions!! God Bless 'em though!!! LOL :P

Anyone wonder if they are selling so fast why they still have first/first's available for sale? and are sending out marketing e-mails? Curious..........:orely:

Rahfa
04-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Amazon just lists by ISBN number...they don't really have a relationship with publishers other than delivery, so there wouldn't be any issues pro-con...CD's not obligated to provide them the title.

That was a recent Kindle controversey...McMillan pulled ALL their books off Amazon in protest of some pricing structure...and Amazon relented.

If Amazon doesn't get access, they just cancel the orders - of course, AZ also doesn't charge people for pre-orders! Imagine that!

Gris
04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Just got this from CD...

Hi everyone!
I'm pleased to officially announce that Lonely Road Books is producing a deluxe signed Limited Edition of Blockade Billy, which will be published later this summer.

Due to the high demand for this title and the VERY low print run (among the lowest for a Stephen King Limited Edition in many years), Cemetery Dance is going to be selling the available copies for us via a "random drawing."

This has been the standard practice for some other presses dealing in Stephen King Limited Editions and it seems like the most fair way to sell this small of a print run. Every interested collector gets "one entry" and has the same chance of winning the right to purchase one copy of the Limited Edition or the Lettered Edition.

So you don't have to watch the website at a specific time and hope to get lucky with timing your order just right, etc. It doesn't matter where in the world you live or when you work or if you're going to be away for a day. Every collector has the same chance to purchase a copy for their collection.

There is absolutely no cost to enter this random drawing, but by entering you are committing to purchase a copy if your name is selected. Please read all of the details on our website, including limitation and pricing, before you enter yourself in the drawing.

You can visit www.LonelyRoadBooks.com for complete details.

Gris
04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Holy crap, $450 or $1250 for deluxe or lettered respectively. Holy Freaking Shyte

Tito_Villa
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah not sure im in with that price!

ELazansky
04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
If I'm reading it right, it doesn't look like the BOOK will be signed by SK, only the baseball card. I'll pass.

Lenny
04-09-2010, 11:31 AM
If I'm reading it right, it doesn't look like the BOOK will be signed by SK, only the baseball card. I'll pass.

Yup that's the way I read it as well. $450 for a card signed by King. Think I will pass on that one.

Cutter
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Yea, anyone who bought the Limited of Riding the Bullet had a chance to secure once before they went on lottery to the public. Sadly I couldn't afford it. $450 is waaaaaaay too much. If it was $250 I could of afforded it, but not $450.

Sadly, starting with Centipede and then Subterranean and now this, new Limited Editions by King are like buying a Limited Edition of Firestarter today! We need more Limited Editions by PS Publishing and DMG where they sell signed editions in the $200 range.

It's just getting harder and harder to collect King...

Ari_Racing
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Actually the odd thing in all this is that you can get some S/L pretty cheap these days at ebay.com

jhanic
04-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I see this signed card analogous to the signed checks for the s/l Regulators. I could be wrong, but I have to assume they're also numbered somehow.

John

wizardsrainbow
04-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Likely to give this one a wide berth. (Means I'm not buying :()

Lenny
04-09-2010, 12:44 PM
How sad is it when a new Stephen King S/L is coming out and NOBODY on a King collecting forum is going to buy it? I think CD has really messed up on this one.

lophophoras
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Way over priced....

><

Randall Flagg
04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Nope. I'm not about to give CD $450, or $1,250 for a book one might not -if ever see. I'm sure King will sign the cards promptly, but they will sit at CD indefinitely.
King obviously doesn't care that CD hasn't published the lettered SODI, or the S/L SOD II.

Rahfa
04-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't enter the lottery even if it did not commit one to buying the book...I have zero interest in the title...at no point did I even slightly waver.

And, the fact a lifetime collector like Boome isn't getting one automatically is low-rent too.

carlosdetweiller
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I probably don't need to say it but I'm definitely not entering their stinking lottery.

willie3
04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
WAY overpriced for a 'novella'.
Even though I have a limitation number from Lonely Road, I too decided to pass on this one.
I admit though, I would have bit on a $250 hook.
But it seems as an imprint of CD, they are traveling down the same "Lonely Road".
I paid for the Vampyricon Trilogy going on a year and a half ago, no publication date in sight.
Riding the Bullet was paid for just shy of a year ago, again no publication date in sight.
I have made the decision to request refunds of all pre-orders from CD & LR if purchased product doesn't begin to show in June.
That is "summer", right?
More time than deserved, I hear you, but wanted to set myself a hard date.

I am sick of this shit.

Karl

demorgan
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
HAHHAHAHAHAHHA....are you kidding me. No freakn way. Who can afford to pay that much for it.

demorgan
04-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Since money talks and Its about time their(CD) bullshit walked...I just requested a refund for all my outstanding orders with CD.

Nerak
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Seriously...do they think we are all Nukin Futs?!?!?!?

It was a cute story, but for $1250..the thing better be lined with REAL gold!!!!! :wtf:

demorgan
04-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Nukin Futs....that has to be trade marked...lol

Ricky
04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
but for $1250..the thing better be lined with REAL gold!!!!! :wtf:

Like the book of Ra from The Mummy? :rofl:

ibeforej
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM

The delays I've seen with Amazon include books and video games- I do realize that Amazon is just the distributor, but I've seen preorders take weeks to ship out after the release date (of course, when the book/game actually comes out on this date). This includes items that have been in big-box stores and even smaller shops since the release date. Without working behind-the-scenes at Amazon, I can't say who's fault it is, but when my PO through Amazon hasn't shipped and I can find the same book through local retailers...well...

Also- and I've run into this several times- my preorder will be sitting stagnant and the item will be listed as "in stock" and is shipping out to new orders. In these cases, I just cancel the preorder and order it again, but I have that I even have to keep track of this.

As far as the incentives, a cheaper price is great, but only if you actually get the book. I meant incentives like $20 off a future order if you preorder something- those are worth it to me, even if I have to wait a bit longer for my goodies. :)

Sam
04-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Not interested. I AM thinking of buying a trade copy from Overlook though.

e_taylor
04-09-2010, 05:51 PM
$1250 for a 52 copy lettered edition? Crazy.

I'd rather a lettered edition from Infernal House, where the production warrants the $1250 price tag and is actually limited to 26 copies, you know - the number of LETTERS in the alphabet!

(Scroll down for pictures of their first two lettered editions: http://horrorgy.com/bloodlettingbooks/category/infernal-house/ )

Rahfa
04-09-2010, 06:25 PM
$1250...I mean, I guess you can get 52 people to buy copies (or maybe 152 after you factor in the "publishers copies" that I'm sure will flood the market), but it's just a suckers game with some of these.

There are plenty of legitimately rare and unique items to spend money on.

Merlin1958
04-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Not interested. I AM thinking of buying a trade copy from Overlook though.

Do so....Dave is a stand up guy. Never been anything but completely satisfied with anything I've bought from him.

As far as those Ltd's go......You're all correct, CD has tipped on over and are completely boffo in the head!!!

You know, we should all stage a boycott of their titles and maybe send them a message. (and maybe a cooperative message to Mindy is just the thing!!!)

Just spit-balling here, but what you folks think?

divemaster
04-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't buy lettereds anyway. As for the numbered? I'll wait for aftermarket copies to show up on eBay. I'm pretty sure I will be able to get one below CD's issuance cost next year.

Sam
04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
$1250...I mean, I guess you can get 52 people to buy copies (or maybe 152 after you factor in the "publishers copies" that I'm sure will flood the market), but it's just a suckers game with some of these.

There are plenty of legitimately rare and unique items to spend money on.

Especially THAT much money.

east-tennessee
04-09-2010, 07:00 PM
:I won't be ordering........:clap:

oy-the-brave
04-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I would like to get a S/L of this being a baseball fan as well as a SK fan, but it's just way too much :angry:

demorgan
04-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Does stephen king have a say about how much they charge for books like this?

frik
04-09-2010, 11:35 PM

Well, thank you, kind lady.. At least I know where I stand...;)

I went ahead an bought all three editions....Maybe a bit pricey - but I couldn't resist.

OK guys (and gals), go ahead and shoot me :innocent:

sk

shnnrc01
04-10-2010, 12:12 AM
imagine,that was close to the sale price of Salems Lot by Jerad.but you can guarantee the materials and finished look will be nowhere near.

herbertwest
04-10-2010, 12:17 AM
For this price you re supposed to get quickly the book and dont have to wait with ur pending order..

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
I went ahead an bought all three editions....Maybe a bit pricey - but I couldn't resist.

Don't worry, you will not be the only one. The true Collectors will buy all the versions, like they always do. They can't help it. :)

BlackVeil
04-10-2010, 03:38 AM

Don't worry, you will not be the only one. The true Collectors will buy all the versions, like they always do. They can't help it. :)

It is true - they cannot help it all. You can't reason with an addict. Look at me ... I try to resist. But bibliomania got me years ago. In my case, it extends to magazines as well. I tell myself to lay off ... but then I am seen leaving the newsagency, with a paper bag full of magazines and a desperate look in my eye. :pirate:

Speaking of magazines, where is my latest copy of Cemetery Dance? Is it turning into an annual?

Anyway, I wish Frik very well on that purchase, and there is every reason to suppose it will work out well. These limited editions certainly keep their value.

If you look at lettered editions of Tim Powers' books, they go for twice the publication price, which itself started at $1,000, at least. :drool:

jhanic
04-10-2010, 04:29 AM
I have to admit I ordered one of the limiteds. Being a new King title, I don't see them delaying this as long as some of the others. I can't afford the lettered. I know, I know, this goes against what I've earlier posted, but my obsession took over. :doh:

John

Cloysterpete
04-10-2010, 05:02 AM
The delays I've seen with Amazon include books and video games- I do realize that Amazon is just the distributor, but I've seen preorders take weeks to ship out after the release date (of course, when the book/game actually comes out on this date). This includes items that have been in big-box stores and even smaller shops since the release date. Without working behind-the-scenes at Amazon, I can't say who's fault it is, but when my PO through Amazon hasn't shipped and I can find the same book through local retailers...well...

Also- and I've run into this several times- my preorder will be sitting stagnant and the item will be listed as "in stock" and is shipping out to new orders. In these cases, I just cancel the preorder and order it again, but I have that I even have to keep track of this.

As far as the incentives, a cheaper price is great, but only if you actually get the book. I meant incentives like $20 off a future order if you preorder something- those are worth it to me, even if I have to wait a bit longer for my goodies. :)

They do give incentives, but of course only when they identify it a there own screw-up, like they other week they listed all those Marvel Omnibus volumes at crazy price by mistake so they had a few thousand orders for the books, they didn't just cancel all orders and say they made an error, they shipped everything they had in stock then everyone else who ordered got a $25 to use on future order. Something they didn't need to do as it was an obvious mis-price.

frik
04-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Anyway, I wish Frik very well on that purchase, and there is every reason to suppose it will work out well. These limited editions certainly keep their value.

Thank you - and I hope so.
What helps, is the fact -as I posted elsewhere- that with the dollar/euro exchange rate, I get a nice discount...of about 30%. I'm sure some of you wouldn't have been able to resist buying all three states for some $1200,00?!

sk

Nerak
04-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Well, thank you, kind lady.. At least I know where I stand...;)

OK guys (and gals), go ahead and shoot me :innocent:

sk

Well, someone on here HAD to be the Nuckin Futtiest!! LOL

And the discount did help!

gsvec
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
I actually entered the 'drawing' for a limited before I looked at the price. Then I emailed Mindy and told her I'd made a mistake - that I couldn't afford paying $450 for a Limited Novella - and she removed my name.

Tito_Villa
04-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Its a ridiculous price for a book that is barely 120 pages long, in comparison to PS Publishing when they made the S/L for The Cloorado Kid which cost £130 for a very well made book!

demorgan
04-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I just look at the pricetag and think about the other books that i can buy with that much money.

Sam
04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I have NO doubts that the book will be well made and will look really good, but I really don't think there is anything CD can do to make the S/L worth the price tag they've put on it, and the Lettered edition is too large an edition to warrant the price tag on it.

swintek
04-10-2010, 03:52 PM
imagine,that was close to the sale price of Salems Lot by Jerad.but you can guarantee the materials and finished look will be nowhere near.

I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I believe Centipede's numbered Salem's Lot was LESS than this, and I know the Deluxe (Massive, leather bound, craziest paper you've ever seen) was around $900. VERY fair prices for what turned out to be incredibly crafted books.

Jerad (privately) believes that everybody else radically inflates the price of their king limiteds. His books are proof, and he certainly put (lost!) his money where his mouth is.

I won't be buying the LRB BB book, or Riding the Bullet, or any other inflated King book they may do for that matter.

Interesting that the Garton book they did is a really amazing production- at $100.

Ron

Randall Flagg
04-10-2010, 04:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Actually, I believe Centipede's numbered Salem's Lot was LESS than this, and I know the Deluxe (Massive, leather bound, craziest paper you've ever seen) was around $900. VERY fair prices for what turned out to be incredibly crafted books.
Ron
Centipede Press 'Salem's Lot S/L $450, Lettered $900. Both an incredible value for the production work.

CurtSeattle
04-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I was too afraid to mess with the traycased Knowing Darkness, so I ordered a "scratch and dent" Knowing Darkness and the artist's Bradbury book too.

All I can say is...WOW!

The Knowing Darkness only has damage to the slipcase and the book is pristine and the Bradbury is basically brand spanking new. I see maybe a bend to one corner of the slipcase, so I guess that might be the damage, but it looks MINT to me! woot!

Amazing books and quality!!

Cutter
04-10-2010, 06:23 PM
[quote=shnnrc01;502567]
Interesting that the Garton book they did is a really amazing production- at $100.

Ron

That is interesting, that book has very top notch production values but it only cost $100... Leather and a traycase costs an extra $350?

Regardless, the sad thing is I would buy it if I could afford it. But that is why I always say collecting King is so frustrating, an author like Garton who I like, I can buy his stuff, but with King I can only pick and choose what I can buy from him. My favorite author is so frustrating to collect at times. grrr

Cutter
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I was too afraid to mess with the traycased Knowing Darkness, so I ordered a "scratch and dent" Knowing Darkness and the artist's Bradbury book too.

All I can say is...WOW!

The Knowing Darkness only has damage to the slipcase and the book is pristine and the Bradbury is basically brand spanking new. I see maybe a bend to one corner of the slipcase, so I guess that might be the damage, but it looks MINT to me! woot!

Amazing books and quality!!

Knowing Darkness is another book well worth the high price. You get one hell of a book for the money! I love my copy, it's beautiful.

herbertwest
04-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Anyway, the few that will be buying it will HAVE TO provide pictures for the Collectible Catalog of this forum :-)

Sam
04-11-2010, 07:45 PM
I wanted to buy Blockade Billy from another seller but just learned they are sold out... so I ordered from CD. :cry:

We shall see if they come through on this one, and if they don't I'll be asking for refunds for everything I have outstanding.

frik
04-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Regardless, the sad thing is I would buy it if I could afford it.

That's exactly it. I know the price of the numbered/lettered editions is too high (which, of course, is also a subjective statement), but as I -count my blessings- do have a steady income and can even save a bit each month, I can afford these editions and I did buy them.
I have never regretted buying a (too) expensive King editions. I do regret, however, not buying certain books when I had the chance to do so.

sk

LostAlivE
04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
I can't believe Stephen King won't even be signing the the book at all just a baseball card and they still want 450.00 for the book. Maybe 200.00 or 250.00 but that is still kind of high for that small of a book.

demorgan
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Yeah, if both the book and the card was signed....then hmmmm...

Sam
04-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Yeah, if both the book and the card was signed....then hmmmm...

$450 would still be too much to charge for it. As much as I love reading Stephen King, and as much as I love books in general and book collecting, this is just too much for something that is giving so little in return. It's not an art book like Knowing Darkness where you can admire the work for hours oh end. It's not a massive volume like The Stand that screams with beauty and grace that comes from true works of art. It's an unpublished story that is being printed by itself (very cool) and has a baseball card of King himself (also cool) that will be signed as well by King(still very cool) and had the price jacked way up (not cool at all) above the most expensive of CD's (and despite what they say it IS a CD book) King books. Secretary of Dreams was, in essence, a graphic novel and had phenominal artwork. It was previously published material put into a different format, and it sold for $300 in 2006 when the market (and the economy) was a lot stronger . This is a new story, albeit a short one, with eleven black and white illustrations and a signed Stephen King baseball card (sure to be seperate from the book but it may yet be attached to the book somehow). I have yet to see something that justifies the extra $150, not even the small print run.

Rahfa
04-12-2010, 06:41 AM
I have no problem with the price - like others have said, it's all subjective anyway...it's not "worth" $450 no matter what...it's all about perceived value, and how worthwhile a complete SK s/l set is to you...to some of us, it's worth quite a lot; to others, not as much.

With SOD, I actually think they put enough new work into it that it was underpriced at $300 (liking/disliking Chadbourne's art is a seperate issue).

And, there's no question the regular s/l will show up fairly quickly...I don't think the lettered edition will EVER show up, however. Anyone who buys that is letting emotion get the best of them - sorry.

But, delivery dates aside, it comes down to saying to CD, "I have $450 in my pocket. Why should that $450 end up in YOUR pocket?" And my answer, of course, is it should not...

Gris
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
General post to the few people that asked "Doesn't King have a say in the price"...

Stephen King has stated, on numerous occasions, that he could really care less about the collector's.

Merlin1958
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
General post to the few people that asked "Doesn't King have a say in the price"...

Stephen King has stated, on numerous occasions, that he could really care less about the collector's.

Figures. What a guy!!!
LOL LOL LOL

Ricky
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM

I haven't heard that from him, but I have read that he could care less about S/L editions as books are meant to be read, not once-opened and stored on shelves.

Though, he probably just hasn't experienced collecting yet. :lol:

carlosdetweiller
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM

He said once that he had a first edition of DRACULA. But I really don't think he collects books per se. Just for reading purposes I imagine.

Randall Flagg
04-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Then why would he make a 'Deal with the devil' and sign books for flatsigned in exchange for a book/books?

Sam
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I haven't heard that from him, but I have read that he could care less about S/L editions as books are meant to be read, not once-opened and stored on shelves.

EVERYONE collects something.

frik
04-12-2010, 08:25 PM

My sentiments exactly!

sk

herbertwest
04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
We do not know which one... Do we?

demorgan
04-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Then why would he make a 'Deal with the devil' and sign books for flatsigned in exchange for a book/books?

thats what i was thinking.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-13-2010, 05:51 AM
From SKMB:

Stephen and Cemetery Dance have made an arrangement with Scribner to make available a less expensive hardcover edition of Blockade Billy, with an on-sale date of May 25th, the same date the audiobook goes on sale. The Scribner edition will be available in all US & Canadian retail outlets. Both the Scribner book and the Simon & Schuster audiobook will feature a bonus short story ("Morality"). In the meantime, an eBook edition of Blockade Billy should go on sale through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Sony on April 20th.

Randall Flagg
04-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Interesting. Thanks.

biomieg
04-13-2010, 05:59 AM
This does not surprise me one bit. Oh well, it's going to be cheap so I'll probably get a copy. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for an announcement that Hodder & Stoughton acquired the rights for a UK edition.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-13-2010, 06:00 AM
I wonder how long we'll have to wait for an announcement that Hodder & Stoughton acquired the rights for a UK edition.

Probably 10 minutes.

mikeC
04-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Ridiculous.
Although I am happy to see Morality will be on audio only sans Raul Esparza of course.

Gris
04-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Kind of pisses me off...

"YOU CAN ONLY GET THIS BOOK FROM US!!!!!!!! BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!"

pause until all copies are sold at $25.99 for 112 pages...

"YOU CAN ALSO BUY A CHEAPER VERSION PRODUCED BY SCRIBNER FROM ANY ONLINE RETAILER ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!!!"

I guess that isn;t 100% fair to say. The CD version will have the card and I'm sure a different binding and probably cover, but still... Way to mislead.

Clacke
04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Kind of pisses me off...

"YOU CAN ONLY GET THIS BOOK FROM US!!!!!!!! BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!"

pause until all copies are sold at $25.99 for 112 pages...

"YOU CAN ALSO BUY A CHEAPER VERSION PRODUCED BY SCRIBNER FROM ANY ONLINE RETAILER ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!!!!"

I guess that isn;t 100% fair to say. The CD version will have the card and I'm sure a different binding and probably cover, but still... Way to mislead.

Might not actually be CD's fault - let's face it, if King decided in the last couple of weeks that he'd rather all the constant readers get to read it instead of just 10 -20,000, I doubt CD were going to say 'no, not happening'.

Merlin1958
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Then again, consider his treatment of Ol' Calvin Tower in Dark Tower VII as insight into his view of "Collector's"

Sam
04-13-2010, 08:56 AM
This is totally UNfair to the collector's market.:angry: Not that there are more being published, but the manner in which it was sold led me to believe there were no editions of this book coming from any source besides CD/LRB. Had I known this, I MAY have waited.

The collectors still get the true first edition, and Kings normal fans get to read this story. I see nothing wrong with that, just the manner in which it was sold.

Sam
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Then again, consider his treatment of Ol' Calvin Tower in Dark Tower VII as insight into his view of "Collector's"

Very astute observation and a very accurate description of a couple of collectors I have known.

Merlin1958
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
This is totally UNfair to the collector's market.:angry: Not that there are more being published, but the manner in which it was sold led me to believe there were no editions of this book coming from any source besides CD/LRB. Had I known this, I MAY have waited.

The collectors still get the true first edition, and Kings normal fans get to read this story. I see nothing wrong with that, just the manner in which it was sold.

I definitely see your point. In order to make peace with myself I'm gonna look at it as a Limited Edition (albeit 10,000 copy one) and call it a day!

LOL LOL LOL

Poor CD, even when they get one right they are wrong!

LOL

In fairness, this is probably more a SK/Schuster/Constant Reader SNAFU than CD's I'm guessing. There was more than likely an outcry for additional editions after B&N and Amazon had it up for Pre-order, then had the rug pulled out from under them. I'm sure they felt they had to placate the big boys (and ultimately all those pre-ordering CR's) for their future business relationships IMHO

Merlin1958
04-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Sure he does!!! Everytime he publishes he collects millions of dollar bills!!! Keeps 'em in a HUGE case called "The Bank"! LOL
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

jhanic
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I agree with Merlin's view as to whose SNAFU this is. I now consider the CD "trade" edition as the true first, and the upcoming Scribner version a simple trade edition. I can't help wonder how much Scribner is going to charge for theirs.

In a way, I think back to when The Gunslinger was first published--a first printing of 10,000 copies by Grant, then a second printing of another 10,000; then, after many protests about not being able to find a copy by readers, the Plume paperback came out. This satisfied the demand. This whole debacle with Blockade Billy seems weirdly similar.

John

mae
04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
What really irks me is the bonus short story. Granted, it's likely to be included in an eventual collection, but then again, King might think it was already published with Blockade Billy, and not include it. I'm thinking of canceling my order with CD and waiting an extra month to get the Scribner edition.

mae
04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
The cover for the Scribner edition is the same, by the way, with just a small banner at the bottom reading, Contains the chilling bonus story "Morality".

http://assets2.snsassets.com/images/books/9781451608212.jpg

jhanic
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I can't help wondering if there's going to be a proof/ARC from Scribner for this.

John

lophophoras
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
From the Simon & Schuster Website:

Blockade Billy By Stephen King

This edition: Paper Over Board, 144 pages

Availability: May 2010

Our Price: $14.99

jhanic
04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Just what is "Paper Over Board"?

John

mae
04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Just what is "Paper Over Board"?

John

Hardcover.

jhanic
04-13-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure of that. They list Under the Dome as hardcover, not paper over board.

John

mae
04-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm wondering why "Morality" though? Is there any thematic similarity, to those that have read Blockade Billy already?

Cloysterpete
04-13-2010, 09:57 AM
A TPB?.

Soooooo is it actually confirmed that Amazon won't be getting any of CD's 2nd printing then?.

Now i'm just well puzzled as to which edition to buy and where from lol.

Gris
04-13-2010, 10:21 AM
I already bought the CD version, and It's worth it to me to get a Scribner version as well. From a collector's standpoint, the Scribner will be vastly more available, but with the amazon 50% discount on almost all new books they sell, why not get it? $8 for a different state seems reasonable.

As of when I types this, the Scribner version is not yet on Amazon. ISBN will be 9781451608212

surly
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure of that. They list Under the Dome as hardcover, not paper over board.

John

My guess would be a hardcover -- printed picture without the dust wrapper. Kinda like most kid books.

Bev Vincent
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Hardcover without a dust jacket according to this page: In Praise of Paper-Over-Board (http://publishingperspectives.com/?p=1459)

jhanic
04-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks!

John

johnsmith87
04-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Blockade Billy is now the most non-exclusive "exclusive" King title ever.

Clacke
04-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Blockade Billy is now the most non-exclusive "exclusive" King title ever.

Also becomes a mass market Stephen King publication with a very small first edition run - 10,000.

e_taylor
04-13-2010, 01:27 PM
What happens if there is a delay and the Scribner edition comes out before the CD?

Not out of the realm of possibility....

Merlin1958
04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
What happens if there is a delay and the Scribner edition comes out before the CD?

Not out of the realm of possibility....

LOL Now THAT would be the classic Cemetary Dance we have all come to know and love!!!!!

LOL :scared:

Rahfa
04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
I really don't like myself for continuing to be snarky, but I can't help myself...but in the publicity for this, I'm certain that CD knew that there would be a mass-market release...it was n-e-v-e-r going to be an exclusive edition...

Also, to be snarky...but not to start the whole baseball debate again...but Merlin, can you - please - spell "Steinbrenner" correctly in your signature? It makes it very, very difficult to take you at all seriously - when a Red Sox fan has to correct you on that score...haha...

carlosdetweiller
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I, too, feel that the deal with Scribner was likely finalized a long time ago despite what we are hearing today. This whole thing continues to stink as far as I am concerned.

Cloysterpete
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, so much for this one being a CD 'EXCLUSIVE'!!!!.

Now all the CD hype make sense, putting out announcements every day that it's selling in record amounts etc, shouting about how you can only get the super-duper-baseball card from them etc....

Whereas before today CD would attract two types of King buyers for the book, the collectors and the folk who just want to read a new King work. Now with the announcement of a far cheaper edition with an extra story included there only going to get the sales from the collectors so it was a case of get as many pre-orders as possible before the Sricbner version is announced, yeah we know it's not an exclusive but lets call it that anyway and hope people believe us!.

I mean whats the casual reader gonna buy, an $8 release off of Amazon with an additional story or a $25 version with a dj and baseball card?.

jemaher
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Regardless, the sad thing is I would buy it if I could afford it.

That's exactly it. I know the price of the numbered/lettered editions is too high (which, of course, is also a subjective statement), but as I -count my blessings- do have a steady income and can even save a bit each month, I can afford these editions and I did buy them.
I have never regretted buying a (too) expensive King editions. I do regret, however, not buying certain books when I had the chance to do so.

sk

that is the justification that i use to buy the pricey books when they come out ....... I didnt buy legends when it first came out and figured that i would buy it on the secondary market later ..... And it took 3 years and i ended up paying out the nose for a copy... lesson learned

Rahfa
04-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, but Legends - and other older s/l editions have had time to establish value, plus weren't bought by speculators in bulk like s/l editions of today often are...In the past few years, the only s/l that showed any serious increase in value was Salem's Lot, and the limitation was very small, matched with being one of his best books.

This is from the moderator at SK's site about BB:

"That's exactly what I was concerned people would think about when I heard they were thinking of doing this. No, it was not smokes and mirrors and it wasn't an attempt to get people to buy more books. The original intent for this book was to be a small print run from a small press publisher. But because there was such a demand both by consumers and the booksellers, Steve was willing to allow it to go out to Scribner to do a mass market edition so it would be available to more readers and to make it a little different, they decided to add Morality (one of the others that people complained about not being able to get because it had been in Esquire). This is not the only reason you can't compare apples to oranges, though. The CD version is a limited edition and is a true collector's edition which will only increase in value."

It might someday, slightly increase in value...but by such a tiny amount to be irrelevant...I mean it's 20K copies of an unsigned novella, that is also available in a trade form...What are people going to pay for the book five years from now? $50? $100? I'd bet $20 or less...because the vast majority of curious readers will just buy the trade edition for $8.

The moderator's info simply doesn't jibe with market realities...

Ben Mears
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah, but Legends - and other older s/l editions have had time to establish value, plus weren't bought by speculators in bulk like s/l editions of today often are...In the past few years, the only s/l that showed any serious increase in value was Salem's Lot, and the limitation was very small, matched with being one of his best books.

"That's exactly what I was concerned people would think about when I heard they were thinking of doing this. No, it was not smokes and mirrors and it wasn't an attempt to get people to buy more books. The original intent for this book was to be a small print run from a small press publisher. But because there was such a demand both by consumers and the booksellers, Steve was willing to allow it to go out to Scribner to do a mass market edition so it would be available to more readers and to make it a little different, they decided to add Morality (one of the others that people

complained about not being able to get because it had been in Esquire). This is not the only reason you can't compare apples to oranges, though. The CD version is a limited edition and is a true collector's edition which will only increase in value."

It might someday, slightly increase in value...but by such a tiny amount to be irrelevant...I mean it's 20K copies of an unsigned novella, that is also available in a trade form...What are people going to pay for the book five years from now? $50? $100? I'd bet $20 or less...because the vast majority of curious readers will just buy the trade edition for $8.

There is no way SK entered into this thinking BB would fly under the radar. It was planned this way from the start. That's why all of the hype from CD to try to sell out the print run. I will be canceling my order and getting a copy off Amazon. With the extra story it's a better value and cheaper to boot.

Patrick
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Guess I'll chime in on the BB-related topics at hand:

I prepaid CD for the $25 true first edition.
I'll probably buy Scribner's $15 hardcover edition at my local bookstore as well.
Taken together, it's just not enough of an expenditure to concern me much about lead time, quantity, or future price appreciation.

I agree with all of you who believe that the Numbered and Lettered editions are obscenely overpriced. But that's CD's problem, not mine, as I won't be entering the lottery. I believe that these editions will go the way of the S/L of THE GREEN MILE and we will eventually see copies selling at and below issue price on eBay. Given this opinion combined with CD's infamously long prepaid preorder lead time, I am more than happy to wait until these editions are published and hitting the secondary market.

I think it is disingenuous for CD, SK or us collectors to have ever thought that BLOCKADE BILLY would not be released in some mass market format. Too much demand from fans and too much money to be made. You could see it coming from the moment we heard about this story.

Randall Flagg
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
IF CD gets the book out before Scribner has it available, the CD version will be considered the US 1ST Edition 1St (or second) printing.
If CD lags, we have all wasted money on the CD "Card edition".

Patrick
04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
IF CD gets the book out before Scribner has it available, the CD version will be considered the US 1ST Edition 1St (or second) printing.
Agreed.

I think CD has put so much promotion into their firm specific release date for the $25 edition that I actually believe they'll hit it.

mae
04-13-2010, 05:03 PM
I decided to get both, even though I hate having duplicate titles. I'll get the Scribner edition just to have Morality in hardcover on my shelf. Plus I don't have to wait a month to read the new book. Too bad they tricked us, but what are you gonna do.

demorgan
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
what can a person do? I decided to get refunds on all books that I had on order with CD.

divemaster
04-13-2010, 06:27 PM
It's not a $25 book from CD. It's a $32 book. Or am I th only one who had to add $7.00 for shipping? Order off Amazon and the shipping is free as long as you throw something else in the shopping cart to bring it to over $25, right?

Me? I collect first editions. (All trades for sure; limiteds are catch as catch can). The CD trade will be a first edition, so I can't really complain. $32 isn't gonna break the bank. I mean, I just bought a Grant S/L/#d Christine for $750 and a Grant S/L/#'d Talisman for $525 off eBay today; it's be a little weird to get all in a huff for being "tricked" out of $32.

carlosdetweiller
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
what can a person do? I decided to get refunds on all books that I had on order with CD.

I think in the long run you will be happy with that decision. Have you received your money yet?

Rahfa
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
It's not a $25 book from CD. It's a $32 book. Or am I th only one who had to add $7.00 for shipping? Order off Amazon and the shipping is free as long as you throw something else in the shopping cart to bring it to over $25, right?

Me? I collect first editions. (All trades for sure; limiteds are catch as catch can). The CD trade will be a first edition, so I can't really complain. $32 isn't gonna break the bank. I mean, I just bought a Grant S/L/#d Christine for $750 and a Grant S/L/#'d Talisman for $525 off eBay today; it's be a little weird to get all in a huff for being "tricked" out of $32.

You actually can't order it off Amazon anymore...

But, right - $32 is no big deal, and first edition or not, it's a small, limited 10K run of a variant edition, so it's certainly collectible and interesting. I don't think it's an investment, but it will still be a fine addition to a collection.

They just didn't need to present it as some sort of big exclusive...the same collectors who would have bought it would have bought it anyway, whether they knew Scribner was also publishing it or not. But, again, they play the same line - this time with SK's moderator's assistance. Please. It takes a year for a book to go throught editing and proofing, etc. It's not even feasible that, on some last minute whim, they made this grand gesture to the readers to also publish a Scribner edition...Honestly, how big saps do they think we are?

Sam
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Here's my thoughts. I just bought a book for $25 + shipping and that same book is currently (without even having been published yet) worth about $16. It won't rise in value any time in the near future, and if it does actually rise in value, it will be in single digit increments (as in $17 instead of $16) due to the mass market edition being hardcover and having an additional story.

I never had any beliefs that BB would never be published otherwise, but I certainly DID believe it would most likely be as part of a collection rather than as a hardcover, and I certainly thought it might be published in 2011 or even 2012, not three weeks after the CD edition is supposed to be published.:angry:

Do I think CD knew? Yes. Does that change anything, not right now. My order is made, and I'll deal with it. However, if there are any delays in the publication of BB, I'll be asking for my money back immediately.

Gris
04-14-2010, 04:48 AM
You can compare this directly to Lisey's Story. How much has the slipcased version risen in value compared to the regular trade HC? Oh, none, right, because it was a small print run of an existing mass-market book with a slipcase. BB has a baseball card. weeee!

jhanic
04-14-2010, 05:00 AM
That's not really a fair comparison--the slipcased Lisey's Story was a Book Club edition.

John

Nerak
04-14-2010, 05:09 AM

There is also the "mass market" angle to look at. CD version is not mm, Scribner's is. So even if Scribner gets their's out first, wouldn't CD's still be the 1st/1st NON mm edition?

carlosdetweiller
04-14-2010, 06:49 AM

There is also the "mass market" angle to look at. CD version is not mm, Scribner's is. So even if Scribner gets their's out first, wouldn't CD's still be the 1st/1st NON mm edition?

Collectors don't really care so much anymore about which edition is first. They collect what they like. Cases in point are the UK bookclub editions by BCA of DOLORES CLAIBORNE and GERALD'S GAME. There is ample evidence that they were the first ones issued worldwide, they both had a limited print run of about 1000 to 2000 copies and both still sell for less than a F/F copy of the regular trade edition.

There are other examples but those are the ones that came to my mind the quickest. It just doesn't make that much difference to the average collector.

frik
04-14-2010, 06:52 AM
There is also the "mass market" angle to look at. CD version is not mm, Scribner's is.

:orely:

Translation, please??

sk

oops - got it!

Rahfa
04-14-2010, 07:03 AM

Collectors don't really care so much anymore about which edition is first. They collect what they like. Cases in point are the UK bookclub editions by BCA of DOLORES CLAIBORNE and GERALD'S GAME. There is ample evidence that they were the first ones issued worldwide, they both had a limited print run of about 1000 to 2000 copies and both still sell for less than a F/F copy of the regular trade edition.

The Gerald's Game ABA edition is another good example...slipcase....the 'letter' from SK...and there's really no interest in it...it sells for $50/$75, I guess, but it hasn't ever gone up...I mean, is the BB novella going to be anything more interesting? Not really...

ibeforej
04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
From the SK.com newsletter:

LATE BREAKING NEWS

Stephen and Cemetery Dance have made an arrangement with Scribner to make available a less expensive hardcover edition of Blockade Billy, with an on-sale date of May 25th, the same date the audiobook goes on sale. The Scribner edition will be available in all U.S. retail outlets. Both the Scribner book and the Simon & Schuster audiobook will feature a bonus short story. In the meantime, an eBook edition of Blockade Billy should go on sale through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Sony on April 20th.

So, basically the CD version is just like most of CD's other limited editions- a prettier copy of a book that you can get anywhere else. I was really psyched about this when I thought it might be at least a year or so before we ever saw another edition...but now, that you'll be able to buy another HC copy on Amazon less than 5wks later, it just takes a bit of the joy out of it for me. Especially considering the mm version will have a bonus story.

I'm going to give myself the afternoon to think about it, but I may be cancelling my CD preorder.

jhanic
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm keeping my CD order for BB, but I'll also be gettiing one of the Scribner editions as a reading copy. Because we don't have any nearby bookstores, I'll probably be ordering one from Amazon.

John

Merlin1958
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM

"That's exactly what I was concerned people would think about when I heard they were thinking of doing this. No, it was not smokes and mirrors and it wasn't an attempt to get people to buy more books. The original intent for this book was to be a small print run from a small press publisher. But because there was such a demand both by consumers and the booksellers, Steve was willing to allow it to go out to Scribner to do a mass market edition so it would be available to more readers and to make it a little different, they decided to add Morality (one of the others that people

complained about not being able to get because it had been in Esquire). This is not the only reason you can't compare apples to oranges, though. The CD version is a limited edition and is a true collector's edition which will only increase in value."

There is no way SK entered into this thinking BB would fly under the radar. It was planned this way from the start. That's why all of the hype from CD to try to sell out the print run. I will be canceling my order and getting a copy off Amazon. With the extra story it's a better value and cheaper to boot.

Not for nothing but, anyone else have a "Lost-like" sense of Deja-vu over this issuance? Isn't this pretty much the same kinda situation as the original "The Gunslinger" release? Albeit the original situation occurred due to an unintentional semi-screw-up, but they have very cleverly manipulated the present situation to somewhat emulate the Gunslinger circumstances! If I am remembering the story (more or less) correctly, the Gunslinger was released as a limited by DMG for the Northeast market before SK had made the "Big-Time". Later he included it in the "other novels by the author" list of Pet Semetery or something and folks clamored for the book, which resulted in a second printing and subsequent Mass Market paperback printing.

My point being, this sure looks like a "nothing up my sleeve" rendition of that situation. The print runs are even the same 10k and 10k!! SK is in a Loop, and definitely much wiser this time (he's got the horn)!!!! LOL LOL

east-tennessee
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Extra, Extra, get your Blockhead Billy slipcase while you can.....(ha ha)...:pullhair:

Randall Flagg
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM

There are other examples but those are the ones that came to my mind the quickest. It just doesn't make that much difference to the average collector.
One of the two books will be considered as the 1st US trade edition (to be determined).
Most collectors will likely have both a CD and a Scribner copy. Long range neither will -IMO command a premium, in fact we might see one or both on a remainder stack in less than a year.

herbertwest
04-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Shouldnt it be the one that is printed first, even if not necessarily available first?

Randall Flagg
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
It will be determined soon.

ibeforej
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Not for nothing but, anyone else have a "Lost-like" sense of Deja-vu over this issuance? Isn't this pretty much the same kinda situation as the original "The Gunslinger" release? Albeit the original situation occurred due to an unintentional semi-screw-up, but they have very cleverly manipulated the present situation to somewhat emulate the Gunslinger circumstances! If I am remembering the story (more or less) correctly, the Gunslinger was released as a limited by DMG for the Northeast market before SK had made the "Big-Time". Later he included it in the "other novels by the author" list of Pet Semetery or something and folks clamored for the book, which resulted in a second printing and subsequent Mass Market paperback printing.

My point being, this sure looks like a "nothing up my sleeve" rendition of that situation. The print runs are even the same 10k and 10k!! SK is in a Loop, and definitely much wiser this time (he's got the horn)!!!! LOL LOL

I agree with this to a degree. I'm not familiar with the Gunslinger issue, but based on what you said, this took awhile to unfold. The "Blockade Billy" trick took less than 2wks. I would feel a lot better about this had there been at least a couple of months in between announcements.

For instance, I don't mind clamoring for the King stories in magazines, even though I know full well they'll probably appear in a collected edition in the next year or so. Even though it's not stated anywhere that this will be the case, history tends to repeat itself. :) In the case of BB, I felt like we were led to believe this story would be a CD exclusive (although I didn't really buy this theory) OR, at the very least, a book that we would be unable to get elsewhere for months/years... not just 5 weeks.

It just really takes out the "wow" factor when you find out that you can buy it cheaper (even as a hardcover) and with a bonus story, so quickly after the true 1st edition is published. Honestly, the part that bugs me the most is the bonus story- if it weren't for that, I might not be so peeved about the whole thing. :angry:

Rahfa
04-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Right - the "Gunslinger" really was a case of popular interest driving the more mass-market publication...I remember seeing it in "Pet Sematery" and being like "what?" So it germinated from a legitimately grass roots desire.

Merlin1958
04-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Right - the "Gunslinger" really was a case of popular interest driving the more mass-market publication...I remember seeing it in "Pet Sematery" and being like "what?" So it germinated from a legitimately grass roots desire.

Absolutely. and they used that scenario. All I'm saying is that maybe they took a page outta that scenario for the BB release. I mean its just too "by the book" (pardon the pun) to have not had some influence. Actually, if I recall correctly CD even advertised this 10k print as the first of its kind since.............wait for it........The Gunslinger was printed !!

idlewarnings
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
A friend of mine ordered BB from CD on my recommendation. She got an email today offering a chance to order an exclusive slipcase. I never got that email so I'm guessing it only went to first time buyers. I told her she'll probably be waiting a long time for that slipcase.

Randall Flagg
04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Here is what was sent to the "lucky" lottery winners:

Hi there!

Congratulations! You've been selected to purchase ONE copy of the signed
*Limited* Edition of Blockade Billy by Stephen King!

We have to limit each customer to 1 copy of each edition due to the
extremely low print runs. No certificates or coupons can be used for this
item. You have 24 hours from right now to place your order via our website,
or we will have to select another winner. If you already know you've
changed your mind, please reply so we can select someone else right away.
Thanks!

Here is the SECRET page on our website to place your order:

redacted

Please do not share that link with anyone. Orders from non-winners will be
cancelled, less a processing fee.

Congratulations again! This incredible special edition will be shipping
later this summer, and it's going to be a beautiful addition to your
collection.

~ Mindy

CurtSeattle
04-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey! I notice some of you are canceling your orders.

Can you PM me, please, with what books are maybe available? I might like to jump on them since I missed out on them the first time (I wasn't collecting 10 years ago :| )

Thanks!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-14-2010, 10:55 PM
They are cancelling them because the books will probably never be released.

wizardsrainbow
04-15-2010, 03:24 AM
How many of you out there got the "winner" of the lottery e-mail and the chance to order the S/L or Lettered edition?

I did. I don't want one for myself, but I thought a customer might. Haven't secured my book yet...not sure even if I will do so. If I have to pay whatever it is $425 or $450 for a S/L, I just can't see charging a customer $500 minimum for a book like this. I'll probably let my 24 hour period lapse.

jhanic
04-15-2010, 03:35 AM
I was one of those who got the "secret" email from Mindy and ordered both the CD trade and s/l editions. I was never put into any type of lottery, etc.--I simply got acknowledgement emails that my orders were accepted.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-15-2010, 03:40 AM
I ordered both the Lettered and S/L versions before reading the descriptions or knowing the price.

I then came to my senses and cancelled my orders when I found out the books will not actually be signed by King.

I know I will get them on the secondary market for less than the issue price later.

Lenny
04-15-2010, 03:50 AM
I ordered both the Lettered and S/L versions before reading the descriptions or knowing the price.

I then came to my senses and cancelled my orders when I found out the books will not actually be signed by King.
I know I will get them on the secondary market for less than the issue price later.

This is my thinking exactly

Randall Flagg
04-15-2010, 05:14 AM
The 'shipping later this summer' is the deciding factor for me. That is code for 'perhaps never'.