PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

webstar1000
10-14-2015, 10:26 AM
OMG The Terror... I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN. I came in late an hour to work because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome book. I actually get cold reading it! lol

Stop making me add more books to my To Read list! I already have an insane back log as it is! lol

Yeah me too... and I spend my weekend ATV'ing, parties, boating in the summer AND shows/movies and work all week. MAN I have no time.. and no kids. lol I read just before bed... but YOU HAVE TO read this book. What a F)&(^&*%'IN page turner!

There is quite a bit in the news this past year regarding this expedition. I would have never found it interesting prior to reading this book.

My good buddy has been up to the Arctic numerous times. He has stood and gotten a pic with the monument to this expedition. VERY cool to read about it for sure. I am in Nova Scotia and we get cold and snow... but man oh man nothing like that. I actually live at the half way point from the North Pole to the Equator. Pretty cool. It is a town next to me and that is what they are known for.

jhanic
10-15-2015, 07:33 AM
OMG The Terror... I CANNOT PUT IT DOWN. I came in late an hour to work because of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome book. I actually get cold reading it! lol

That's one of my favorite reads--in the summer. I wouldn't read it in the winter for anything.

John

webstar1000
10-15-2015, 07:58 AM

That's one of my favorite reads--in the summer. I wouldn't read it in the winter for anything.

John

LOL... late again for work. haha Gotta finish it before the snow comes. hahhahahahaha

zelig
10-15-2015, 07:59 AM
After reading the last few posts, I just ordered The Terror and Catch 22. Will plan on getting to them soon.

Mattrick
10-15-2015, 10:06 AM
I am hoping the second half of Cujo is better. Been fairly bored during most of the character build up. The Camber family is far more interesting than The Trentons. It feels lIke a novella he stretched into a novel. At least Cujo is killing people now.

Heather19
10-15-2015, 01:33 PM

John

LOL... late again for work. haha Gotta finish it before the snow comes. hahhahahahaha

The best time to read it is a cold snowy winter night :D

zelig
10-15-2015, 01:37 PM
I am hoping the second half of Cujo is better. Been fairly bored during most of the character build up. The Camber family is far more interesting than The Trentons. It feels lIke a novella he stretched into a novel. At least Cujo is killing people now.

You're all heart buddy. :smile: I remember there was one part where it got a little slow, but overall I really liked that book. Mostly for some of the themes that he explored through the characters.

Ricky
10-15-2015, 02:29 PM
I remember thinking Cujo was a little slow too. And it irritated me so much that there were no chapters, just page breaks.

Mattrick
10-15-2015, 05:25 PM
I remember thinking Cujo was a little slow too. And it irritated me so much that there were no chapters, just page breaks.

I prefer books to be written this way. It's the fashion I'm writing my second novel. It can't be used with all stories but it provides the writer greater flexibility and the reader can read in wbatever sized intervals they choose. At the end of a chapter it can be easy to put the book down whereas with this format I always push myself to keep going.

Mattrick
10-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Cujo wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I thought the characters were kind of weak for King's standards. I had a hard time feeling for the Trenton's, whereas the Cambers made the story for me. I found most of the stuff outside of Cujo was uninteresting, which again I find to be a rarity for King. Even a book like Desperation which I didn't end up looking by the end had me mesmerized with the characters. I think what really killed me from really enjoying Cujo was The dreams and the visions and the monster in the closet just didn't work for me. It's a story about a rabid dog and these supernatural elements really took me away from the reality of the story...they almost felt obligatory

i think in a lot of ways I'm just not a fan of King's older stuff. There is some good stuff but I love one book for every book I didn't love. In comparison with how I feel about his works from about 1990 until 2010, his older stuff just doesn't speak to me the same way. The newest book I read from him was Under The Dome, though I have Dark Tower: WTTK, I'm going to slide it between books four and five when I re-read the series, and I just picked up Doctor Sleep cheap. I'm quite behind on his new books as I have to rely on used books.

I'm finally polishing off books I started, some years ago, to get them off my conscience. Almost done Blindness, which is an awesome, awesome book.

zelig
10-16-2015, 06:59 AM
I liked the book although I do agree that the 'supernatural' element was slightly distracting, but there was so little of it to make it not matter for me. A book that comes to mind where the supernatural did, to some degree spoil it for me was Rose Madder. BoB also comes to mind. I guess we just have to accept the fact that the supernatural plays a part in many of the novels and roll with it. I have a different opinion about his older books. There are many that I feel are amongst the best. I can't seem to group the ones I didn't like into a certain timeframe. They're scattered all over.

Mattrick
10-16-2015, 10:34 AM
I liked the book although I do agree that the 'supernatural' element was slightly distracting, but there was so little of it to make it not matter for me. A book that comes to mind where the supernatural did, to some degree spoil it for me was Rose Madder. BoB also comes to mind. I guess we just have to accept the fact that the supernatural plays a part in many of the novels and roll with it. I have a different opinion about his older books. There are many that I feel are amongst the best. I can't seem to group the ones I didn't like into a certain timeframe. They're scattered all over.

Bag of Bones is probably my favourite stand-alone novel from King. That story could have been told without it but he wrote it so good and it played such a key part in the story. Such great writing in it. I think the only thing he wrote (that I've read) pre-1990 that I can say was great were The Stand and Pet Semetary...probably Carrie too. Christine and The Dead Zone are two I still have to read but I've never owned them. I need to re-read Rose Madder since I read that back in grade 8 to see if the supernatural stuff is distracting, I just remember the imagery being so top notch. I still cringe when I think of some the images in that book...haunting stuff.

I just think these days he's a better writer than he was back then, and the styles are so disparate in very small ways that I can't even really pinpoint them, I just pick up on them. When I think of the run he went on with Insomnia and Wizard and Glass/rest of the DT series, Dreamcatcher, Bag of Bones, Duma Key, Lisey's Story, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Gerald's Game...that's where all my favourites are.

zelig
10-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Bag of Bones is probably my favourite stand-alone novel from King. That story could have been told without it but he wrote it so good and it played such a key part in the story. Such great writing in it. I think the only thing he wrote (that I've read) pre-1990 that I can say was great were The Stand and Pet Semetary...probably Carrie too. Christine and The Dead Zone are two I still have to read but I've never owned them.

I really liked Christine and loved The Dead Zone.

Ben Mears
10-16-2015, 11:16 AM

Bag of Bones is probably my favourite stand-alone novel from King. That story could have been told without it but he wrote it so good and it played such a key part in the story. Such great writing in it. I think the only thing he wrote (that I've read) pre-1990 that I can say was great were The Stand and Pet Semetary...probably Carrie too. Christine and The Dead Zone are two I still have to read but I've never owned them. I need to re-read Rose Madder since I read that back in grade 8 to see if the supernatural stuff is distracting, I just remember the imagery being so top notch. I still cringe when I think of some the images in that book...haunting stuff.

I just think these days he's a better writer than he was back then, and the styles are so disparate in very small ways that I can't even really pinpoint them, I just pick up on them. When I think of the run he went on with Insomnia and Wizard and Glass/rest of the DT series, Dreamcatcher, Bag of Bones, Duma Key, Lisey's Story, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Gerald's Game...that's where all my favourites are.

I think a lot depends upon when one began reading SK. I've been on board since 'Salem's Lot in 1976 and, except for Carrie and The Dark Tower series), have read every book in the order of publication so I probably have the opposite opinion as yours. Overall I much prefer his earlier works. They have a vibrancy and exuberance of a truly gifted writer discovering and harnessing his talent. His later works may feature better writing but not necessarily better stories. From a reading perspective SK's stories take precedence over the intricacies of his writing style. That said I include 11/22/63 in my SK top 5 so I'm not completely stuck in the past!

Mattrick
10-16-2015, 11:48 AM

I think a lot depends upon when one began reading SK. I've been on board since 'Salem's Lot in 1976 and, except for Carrie and The Dark Tower series), have read every book in the order of publication so I probably have the opposite opinion as yours. Overall I much prefer his earlier works. They have a vibrancy and exuberance of a truly gifted writer discovering and harnessing his talent. His later works may feature better writing but not necessarily better stories. From a reading perspective SK's stories take precedence over the intricacies of his writing style. That said I include 11/22/63 in my SK top 5 so I'm not completely stuck in the past!

Don't think that applies much to me. I wasn't born until 86 but the first books by him I read were all older stuff like The Stand, Firestarter, and The Gunslinger. My mom managed a book store for years so I had tons of his stuff around. I'm not when the shift is, probably when he wrote his 'female trilogy', but.It's like at some point he stopped writing horror novels and started writing novels with horror in them, if that makes any sense. That was my problem with Cujo, it both tried to be a drama about marriage and a horror novel and he hadn't quite perfected how to blend them seamlessly, which isn't a knock against King....it's not an easy thing to do. He got very good at it not long after.

Think the next King book I'll be reading is either The Regulators or Blaze. Hope I like The Regulators more than Desperation.

WeDealInLead
10-16-2015, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Mattrick;953732][QUOTE=zelig;953696] They have a vibrancy and exuberance of a truly gifted writer discovering and harnessing his talent. His later works may feature better writing but not necessarily better stories.

Agreed. I enjoy most of his later books, but up to and including Misery he was untouchable. After that the quality seems to waver a bit and his writing starts lacking urgency and hunger. This is true for many actors, writers, bands etc.

Mattrick
10-16-2015, 01:52 PM
I think when artists start lacking urgency and hunger they often wander outside their comfort zones and start to explore never-before-seen roads and, to me, that is where the real magic begins. But some people do not like their artists to stray into new territory because they liked the old territory, which is why people still listen to AC/DC who have been playing the same song for forty years. I say if an artist cannot grow they are barely an artist at all.

Girlystevedave
10-17-2015, 05:30 AM
I hate to admit it, but I'm having kind of a hard time really getting into The Martian.

zelig
10-17-2015, 06:25 AM
I hate to admit it, but I'm having kind of a hard time really getting into The Martian.

Me too. I finished it, but did not like it. I think I'm in the minority on this as so many people enjoyed it. I still need to see the movie.

frik
10-17-2015, 06:35 AM

Saw the movie, liked it (but no more than that) and am glad I didn't buy the book.

sk

Girlystevedave
10-17-2015, 07:10 AM

Me too. I finished it, but did not like it. I think I'm in the minority on this as so many people enjoyed it. I still need to see the movie.

Yeah, I guess I expected something different. I'm getting bored with the journal entries. Maybe it's because I really don't enjoy it when stories are written in first-person. :orely:

Saw the movie, liked it (but no more than that) and am glad I didn't buy the book.

sk

I think this may be one of the rare cases when I'm thinking I'd rather see the movie.

Mattrick
10-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Started reading Anna Karrenina by Tolstoy. EW named it the number one book of all time, now to see if it lIves up to that.

zelig
10-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Reading The Terror by Simmons. After seeing all the praise about it here I figured that I must read it.

Mattrick
10-19-2015, 09:29 PM
I gotta say, I'm almost 1/4 way through Anna Karenina and I'm really enjoying it.

Tommy
10-20-2015, 01:05 AM
I just finished The Unnoticeables by Robert Brockway. To say this book is weird is putting it mildly.

Heather19
10-20-2015, 04:30 AM

Are you past the part with the potatoes? It gets better once NASA comes into the story.

Reading The Terror by Simmons. After seeing all the praise about it here I figured that I must read it.

Excellent! :D

Bethany
10-20-2015, 05:48 AM
Lonesome Dove.

Girlystevedave
10-20-2015, 09:05 AM

Are you past the part with the potatoes? It gets better once NASA comes into the story.

:lol: Yeah, I've gotten past the potato part, but I'm still finding it hard to sink into the story. I think I'll put it aside and get back to it at some point.

Lonesome Dove.

I wish I could read Lonesome Dove, but I'm too familiar with the movie. I bet it's an amazing book. Is this a re-read, Befernee?

Bethany
10-20-2015, 10:31 AM

:lol: Yeah, I've gotten past the potato part, but I'm still finding it hard to sink into the story. I think I'll put it aside and get back to it at some point.

Lonesome Dove.

I wish I could read Lonesome Dove, but I'm too familiar with the movie. I bet it's an amazing book. Is this a re-read, Befernee?

I've never read it or seen the movie.

Girlystevedave
10-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Lonesome Dove.

I know the movie was awesome, so I'm betting you're in for a real treat with the book. :thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
10-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Currently reading Road to the Stars [autobiography] by Yuri Gagarin. I have to admit that, since reading a book about the cosmonaut recently, I have become somewhat obsessed with his story. It's all so fascinating and I have sought out anything and everything I can find to learn more about his life.

Dan
10-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Listened to The Halloween Tree today while driving for work. Currently reading The Association by Bentley Little.

Heather19
10-22-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm waiting to get audiobook of The Halloween Tree in from the library. I'm next in line so hopefully I'll get to listen to it before Halloween. And I'm currently reading The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg. It finally seems to be picking up speed, almost put it down. Has anyone read any of his books before? This is my first of his.

goheat
10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Finished The Hollow Man by Dan Simmons. Very thought-provoking and deep, I liked it. Started on The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith.

biomieg
10-23-2015, 02:14 PM
The Hollow Man is a great and moving book. One of my favorite Simmons books!

My wife and I just came back from The Martian - a great movie that I liked as much as I liked the book.

WeDealInLead
10-24-2015, 06:27 AM
I'm waiting to get audiobook of The Halloween Tree in from the library. I'm next in line so hopefully I'll get to listen to it before Halloween. And I'm currently reading The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg. It finally seems to be picking up speed, almost put it down. Has anyone read any of his books before? This is my first of his.

Cemetery Dance recently published The Cannibal Sisters novella. It's also a slow burn but the story is great.

Finished The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka. I've read this story a thousand times and I'll read it a thousand more. Started Four Octobers by Rick Hautala. I always save story notes and such for last. I was getting a very strong old school Bradbury vibe from the first novella and what do you know, Hautala thanked him in the foreword. I patted myself on the shoulder for calling it.

I'm still reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub and savouring it. A chapter a day is the motto for this one.

I started the audio for The Wind... by King. He's a terrible narrator but there's just something special about hearing a writer read his own stories. I suppose it's because that's as close I can get to hearing what they sound like in his head.

Mattrick
10-24-2015, 06:27 PM

Cemetery Dance recently published The Cannibal Sisters novella. It's also a slow burn but the story is great.

Finished The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka. I've read this story a thousand times and I'll read it a thousand more. Started Four Octobers by Rick Hautala. I always save story notes and such for last. I was getting a very strong old school Bradbury vibe from the first novella and what do you know, Hautala thanked him in the foreword. I patted myself on the shoulder for calling it.

I'm still reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub and savouring it. A chapter a day is the motto for this one.

I started the audio for The Wind... by King. He's a terrible narrator but there's just something special about hearing a writer read his own stories. I suppose it's because that's as close I can get to hearing what they sound like in his head.

I had Skelton Crew on audiobook read by him. I loved his reading of The Monkey.

zelig
10-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Just finished The Terror. I feel like I need to take a hot shower for an hour or run screaming into the open arms of the rising sun.

fernandito
10-25-2015, 08:11 AM
Lol. That good, huh? ^

zelig
10-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Lol. That good, huh? ^

Those were the first thoughts that came to mind right after I finished it. Yes, great book. I can't say I "LOVED" it for some reason. I really liked it. It was just an intense book to get through, and I did feel at times that parts of it was slow going for me. What a bleak and gruesome book. Incredibly well written.

My absolute favorite character in the book was Lady Silence. I was so impressed with how Simmons wrote this character, and I realized that you don't necessarily need pages and pages of character development. What was amazing to me was how he built this incredible character without her saying a single word, and her appearance in the book was minimal compared to the other characters. For me the surprise romance toward the end was great. I had been hoping for something like that all through the book, but I thought it would be with that other character (can't think of his name right now).

Dan
10-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Doing a relisten of The Abominable by Dan Simmons. It has kind of the same spirit as The Terror. Quite a bit of technical information about mountain climbing. I really enjoyed this the first time through.

Heather19
10-26-2015, 04:20 AM
I've been dying to read that one. Also The Terror is easily I'm my top 5 books of all-time. Loved it.

Bethany
10-26-2015, 05:56 AM
Found my Kindle so I am now reading The Need, the author's name escapes me but I believe it's a Canadian or something :P

Mattrick
10-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Found my Kindle so I am now reading The Need, the author's name escapes me but I believe it's a Canadian or something :P

I don't blame you. With our bobbing heads and beady eyes, we all look alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_BpnFeGU50

Girlystevedave
10-27-2015, 07:33 AM

:thumbsup:

WeDealInLead
10-27-2015, 05:05 PM
I finished Rick Hautala's Four October's, and Bradbury's The Halloween Tree.

I'm reading Thomas Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer. That title and Grimscribe are both collected in one edition and published as a Penguin Classic. I've read onle Jeff Vandermeer's foreword and the first story called The Frolic. I'd go hug my daughter really tight if I weren't at work. Very unsettling stuff. Highly recommended.

Dan
10-27-2015, 05:17 PM

I'm reading Thomas Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer. That title and Grimscribe are both collected in one edition and published as a Penguin Classic. I've read onle Jeff Vandermeer's foreword and the first story called The Frolic. I'd go hug my daughter really tight if I weren't at work. Very unsettling stuff. Highly recommended.

How was Four Octobers? I generally like everything from Hautala.

becca69
10-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Just finished Brother by Ania Ahlborn - very disturbing!

WeDealInLead
10-27-2015, 05:43 PM

How was Four Octobers? I generally like everything from Hautala.

In a word: perfect.

Patrick
10-29-2015, 08:17 AM

Lonesome Dove.

I loved that book when I read it just a few years for the first time. What did you think?

becca69
10-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Started Welcome to Night Vale. I picked it up during the Goldsboro contest and Patrick Rothfuss raved about it on his blog. It's really weird but I like it. I never listened to the podcasts but now it's sparked my interest.

DanaR
10-31-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm about 30% into The Night Circus. It has such great reviews, but I'm having trouble staying interested. May have to come back to it later.

DanaR
11-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Just finished The End of the World As We Knew It, by Nick Cole. Loved it. I blubbered a little at the end...so bittersweet.

zelig
11-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Just finished The World As We Knew It, by Nick Cole. Loved it. I blubbered a little at the end...so bittersweet.

May have to check this out. I added it to my wishlist.

I just finished Misery. For some reason it was way more brutal for me this time than when I first read it when it was released.

killjoy72
11-02-2015, 01:05 PM
I just finished Misery. For some reason it was way more brutal for me this time than when I first read it when it was released.

Misery got me back into King (and in a big way!) when I reread it 9 or 10 years ago. I loved it.
Finally buckled under the pressure around here and started reading my first Dan Simmons novel, The Terror, last night.

zelig
11-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Misery got me back into King (and in a big way!) when I reread it 9 or 10 years ago. I loved it.
Finally buckled under the pressure around here and started reading my first Dan Simmons novel, The Terror, last night.

Yeah it was good. I may watch the movie again. Also haven't seen that since around the time it was released.

I too buckled with The Terror. Pleased I did. It was my first Simmons book I've read. I hope you enjoy it.

I just started A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Heather19
11-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Started reading A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. Of course Amazon posted a review by King saying it scared the hell out of him. So I got curious. Really enjoying it so far. And it's starting to get a little unsettling.

Ricky
11-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Let me know what you think when you're finished. It was kind of so-so for me (and I didn't find it too scary like King did).

zelig
11-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Let me know what you think when you're finished. It was kind of so-so for me (and I didn't find it too scary like King did).

Lately I haven't put too much stock into book blurbs. I think I've had too many where the blurb makes it sound like the greatest thing since whatever, and then I read the book and it was mediocre. I feel that blurbs are there to help drive sales but at the end of the day you'll form your own opinion anyway. I just take them with a grain of salt.

Ricky
11-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Totally agree (especially ones by King. I've read some real stinkers based on his recommendations).

zelig
11-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Totally agree (especially ones by King. I've read some real stinkers based on his recommendations).

Yeah, one that comes to mind is Time and Again by Jack Finney. I tried desperately to finish that book but ended up abandoning it near the end. I was bored out of my mind. Not to say it was a bad book. Just not my cup of tea.

Mattrick
11-04-2015, 02:24 PM
I bet King would recommend my book (I hope that's not a bad thing!). BUY IT. READ IT. LOVE IT. I'm waiting for Heather's mountain of books to become a molehill so she'll get to it :P

Heather19
11-04-2015, 03:13 PM
:lol: I know, soon, I promise!

And so far I'm loving A Head Full of Ghosts, but yeah I'd agree that at least so far it's not at all scary. I usually don't go based on those blurbs cause I know it's probably just to sell books, but it was on sale for $2 for kindle and the premise sounded good with good reviews so I figured it wouldn't be a huge waste if I didn't like it.

WeDealInLead
11-04-2015, 04:21 PM
I didn't think it was very scary either. I did find it engaging, well-written and interesting though. It's going to be in my Top 5 horror books this year for sure.

Reading:

Charles Stross - Neptune's Brood. Science fiction with science fictional concepts. Check it: http://www.amazon.ca/Neptunes-Brood-Charles-Stross-ebook/dp/B00AR2RZ4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446682374&sr=8-1&keywords=neptune%27s+brood

Just finished Space Odyssey 2061. Not as good as the first two but I didn't think my time was wasted. Clarke drops some actual science in this you can use to impress your friends.

Still enjoying Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer, and Straub's Ghost Story.

Heather19
11-06-2015, 09:48 AM

I didn't think it was very scary either. I did find it engaging, well-written and interesting though. It's going to be in my Top 5 horror books this year for sure.

I absolutely loved it. It's probably one of the best books I've read this year. I read it in maybe 3 days, which is super fast for me. Having finished it I wouldn't say it was scary, but it is a little unsettling, and what a brutal ending. I highly recommend it.

Next up: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

Ricky
11-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Wow. I'm a little surprised. I know how fast-paced you like books and I thought it was a little slow at times. Regarding the ending, do you think that Marjorie was really possessed?

Almost finished Little Star (whew!) then I think I'll be starting The Bazaar of Bad Dreams too. I think I'm getting in the mood for some short stories as opposed to a novel.

jsmcmullen92
11-06-2015, 02:37 PM
Hyperion. Has any one read memory sorrow and there by Tad Williams? Thinking that may be my next series.

fernandito
11-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Hyperion.
well!?

jsmcmullen92
11-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Hyperion.
well!?

Just started it.... ill let you know in a few days

frik
11-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Has any one read memory sorrow and there by Tad Williams? Thinking that may be my next series.

Read it, liked it.
Used to buy everything by Williams, but the more I read him, the less I actually liked his stuff.
No more Tad Williams for me.

sk

jhanic
11-07-2015, 09:49 AM
I've started my reread of Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

John

Heather19
11-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Wow. I'm a little surprised. I know how fast-paced you like books and I thought it was a little slow at times. Regarding the ending, do you think that Marjorie was really possessed?

Almost finished Little Star (whew!) then I think I'll be starting The Bazaar of Bad Dreams too. I think I'm getting in the mood for some short stories as opposed to a novel.

Really, I thought it was really fast paced. I didn't find it slow at all. And no I think she just had schizophrenia. But I like how it's left open so you don't really know.

jsmcmullen92
11-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Has any one read memory sorrow and there by Tad Williams? Thinking that may be my next series.

Read it, liked it.
Used to buy everything by Williams, but the more I read him, the less I actually liked his stuff.
No more Tad Williams for me.

sk

The only things I have from him are Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn and the Otherland Series. Hopefully I will like them.

As for Hyperion I am finding it kinda dense at the beginning. Maybe I skipped a paragraph by accident but are they one a tree-ship? #confused

fernandito
11-09-2015, 09:00 AM
As for Hyperion I am finding it kinda dense at the beginning..
Yes; I have read plenty of science fiction in my day and even by my lofty standards I found the beginning to be dense as well.

Stick with it though, it's just your mind depressurizing lol. Once you get past the initial barrier of terminology and begin to settle in, you will appreciate how rich in detail this novel is.

Maybe I skipped a paragraph by accident but are they one a tree-ship? #confused
Yes. In Hyperion lore, massive trees were scientifically re purposed using advanced technology to serve as space ships.

webstar1000
11-09-2015, 09:01 AM
What Simmons should I read next??????????????????????????????????

biomieg
11-09-2015, 09:11 AM
The Abominable?

biomieg
11-09-2015, 09:15 AM
I still need to read Carrion Comfort. Just finished 11/22/63 (re-read), and Bloodstream (Tess Gerritsen), and am now reading Bazaar of Bad Dreams. I guess Carrion Comfort will be next.

webstar1000
11-09-2015, 09:17 AM
The Abominable?

DONE:)

zelig
11-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Just started Desperation.

fernandito
11-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Favorite book everrrrrrr

zelig
11-09-2015, 09:55 AM

Favorite book everrrrrrr

Cool. Enjoying it so far.

WeDealInLead
11-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Stephen King - The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
Michael Koryta - Those Who Wish Me Dead (audio)
Charles Stross - Neptune's Brood
Charles Grant - Tales from the Dark Side (foreword by King but it feels like he was winging it)
Charles Beaumont - Perchance to Dream (foreword by Bradbury, afterword by Shattner)

jsmcmullen92
11-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Favorite book everrrrrrr

Cool. Enjoying it so far.

I concur!!! My first King I ever read and one of my top ten!!!!!!

Mattrick
11-09-2015, 04:32 PM
I didn't care for Desperation. The first half was amazing, the second half not so much.

One more part on my audio book for The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft, which I'm enjoying so far.

goheat
11-10-2015, 09:25 AM
I finished up The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith, excellent detective book, with black humor. Started Last Call by Tim Powers (have heard he is a good writer). Like it so far, very odd!

ladysai
11-10-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm two stories into Bazaar of Bad Dreams, and I'm loving it.

I'm also part-way through both Hyperion by Dan Simmons and Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'm enjoying both of those as well.

jsmcmullen92
11-11-2015, 05:41 AM
I'm two stories into Bazaar of Bad Dreams, and I'm loving it.

I'm also part-way through both Hyperion by Dan Simmons and Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'm enjoying both of those as well.

I am in the beginning of Hyperion. In the first story from the Father:
I can't help but feel like I am re-reading The time machine. The non-gender of humanoids, the lack of good speech, the lack of excitement of visitors. Just feels like the same story.

Jean
11-13-2015, 02:17 AM
currently reading Thomas Harris
Red Dragon was amazingly good, the way the author kept to the point without any embellishments of style was in itself fascinating, there was a flavor of honesty around it, which I enjoyed immensely.
TSotL was good, really really good, probably better than RD (although my heart is with the first book). Loved Starling, who only annoyed me in the movie.
Now have been plodding through Hannibal. Can't help thinking that Harris decided at last to go allLiterature, you know, with psychology, history, all the necessary requisites - and in my opinion wrote a very mediocre thing, having lost everything that was specifically his.
Hope I'll be able to finish it some day.

mae
11-13-2015, 03:08 AM
I hope bears con continue their way through Crichton's books, too.

frik
11-13-2015, 07:05 AM
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-3d8b/k2-_52b2325f-1ae8-4e22-805f-25a2eae2786c.v1.jpg

Finally, finally another book by my 3rd favorite author.
Or maybe 2nd...not really sure.
Love this book.

sk

killjoy72
11-13-2015, 07:34 AM
http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-3d8b/k2-_52b2325f-1ae8-4e22-805f-25a2eae2786c.v1.jpg

Finally, finally another book by my 3rd favorite author.
Or maybe 2nd...not really sure.
Love this book.

sk

And not a bad John Jude Palencar cover there either!

frik
11-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Yes, love that cover as well!

sk

Stockerlone
11-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Blaue Feen & Weiße Königinnen - Blue Fairies and white queens
Die Essenz der Märchen - The essence of fairy tales
Rona Walter+Kristina Lohfeldt
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT3520.JPG

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Reading Dune. I'm having trouble getting into it. I hope it gets better. I had such high expectations for this book.

frik
11-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Dune I read many a decade ago - I remember being in awe of this book. I do hope you'll end up being impressed as well.

sk

Mister_Oy
11-16-2015, 11:06 AM
Just started Robin Hobb's lastest - Fool's Quest. I've read the rest :)

jsmcmullen92
11-16-2015, 12:53 PM
I've been putting Dune off for awhile. I've always been scared that it will not stand up to the standards that everyone puts it at... Let me know what you think when you finish.

Dan
11-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Until the Sun Rises by Channing Whitaker. I picked up a copy at a Comic Con last month where he was selling them. Very good so far.

divemaster
11-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Reading Dune. I'm having trouble getting into it. I hope it gets better. I had such high expectations for this book.

Dune I read many a decade ago - I remember being in awe of this book. I do hope you'll end up being impressed as well.

sk

I've been putting Dune off for awhile. I've always been scared that it will not stand up to the standards that everyone puts it at... Let me know what you think when you finish.

I'm a big sci-fi fan (mostly "golden age," though) and Dune was HUGE back when I was in middle school. A few years ago I picked it up to give it a shot and I swear I kept having to look in the appendix/index/glossary or whatever it was to keep things straight. I'm not an obtuse reader and can generally juggle a number of characters/plots/new concepts, but I kept having to be refreshed on "now who is this guy again?" I guess the story was okay. I don't feel like I wasted my time, but I never felt compelled to read any of the sequels.

wolfehr
11-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Just finished Welcome to Night Vale By Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor and loved it. Weird, quirky, funny, and hard to put down. I listened to one podcast a few years ago, and the book definitely had the same feeling. Re-listened to it this this morning while getting ready for work, and I think I'll be listening to the next one tomorrow :)

Now I'm on to The Dark Tower comics! Have been looking forward to reading these for awhile and decided to finally just do it. My current plan is to alternate between a book and a TDT story arc. I'm really enjoying the comics so far though, so that plan may not work out...

WeDealInLead
11-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Gene Wolfe - A Borrowed Man

The man is a genius and it's a bummer no one here talks about him.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-21-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm a big sci-fi fan (mostly "golden age," though) and Dune was HUGE back when I was in middle school. A few years ago I picked it up to give it a shot and I swear I kept having to look in the appendix/index/glossary or whatever it was to keep things straight. I'm not an obtuse reader and can generally juggle a number of characters/plots/new concepts, but I kept having to be refreshed on "now who is this guy again?" I guess the story was okay. I don't feel like I wasted my time, but I never felt compelled to read any of the sequels.

I'm only about a third of the way through, but I already know its not going to be anywhere near top 10 or anything.
It has some incredible lines, that are very perceptive and profound. I should be writing them down as I come across them.
I enjoy the book, but there are so many characters and so many plot lines, and you are just dumped right in the middle of everything.
I still have hope that its going to come together to a point where I can just read it, and I know whats going on, and each chapter doesn't begin with....ok, now who the fuck is this and what is he talking about?

Jean
11-22-2015, 10:18 AM
I hope bears con continue their way through Crichton's books, too.oooooohhhhh I hope so too!!!!!!!!!!! I also suspect there's some new King I've missed. I never got around to finishing the last of his I had started before the shit hit the fan (can't even remember the title now, which is very annoying)

Jean
11-22-2015, 10:19 AM
I read the first book a few decades ago, and have never had any desire to go on with them since

ETA:

I don't feel like I wasted my time, but I never felt compelled to read any of the sequels.
precisely

jhanic
11-22-2015, 11:52 AM
I first read Dune when it was serialized in Analog SF magazine. I remember liking it quite a bit back then.

John

WeDealInLead
11-22-2015, 12:12 PM
It's a great book that given a fair chance will make you a better reader. It's pretty challenging and demands your attention. The language can be difficult but I think that's one of the things that makes it stand out. The story is set on a distant planet thousands of years in the future; it should be different. In any case, it's still way less aggravating than King's ayuhs, seeing things well (really well), thankee-sais, kennits etc. That said, if it's not working for you, it's not working for you and that's all there is to it.

I read the first five and have only one of the original books by Herbert to go. I'm not very interested in what his son and Kevin J. Anderson are writing.

Reading: The Ringworld Engineers

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Just read the first sandworm encounter. Much more into it now.

fernandito
11-23-2015, 11:40 AM
In any case, it's still way less aggravating than King's ayuhs, seeing things well (really well), thankee-sais, kennits etc...

Funny you mention this. I'm working my way through Bazaar of Bad Dreams, and one of the things that annoys me about King is the way he writes adolescent lingo. I can't stand that "jeepers, mister!" bs. This ain't 1970.

jhanic
11-23-2015, 01:09 PM
I just started the new Robert Galbraith (J K Rowling) novel, Career of Evil, and really, really like it! One heck of a beginning!

John

Dan
11-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Just finished a reread of The Shining. Such an great book!

zelig
11-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Reading The Long Walk for the first time.

webstar1000
11-24-2015, 05:09 AM

What a GREAT book.. Hope this does get made someday by Frank Darabont!

Dan
11-24-2015, 06:18 AM

For sure my favorite Bachman. In my top 5 King.

zelig
11-24-2015, 07:10 AM

Just finished it yesterday and I enjoyed it. I felt it was a well written novel. Some parts were slow for me though, but overall very gripping and sad during one part near the end. But can someone clear up the ending for me? Who touched his shoulder. Who is the dark figure. Why'd he start running. It sort of just ended. Read the last half page to see what I mean.

Dan
11-24-2015, 07:18 AM

Just finished it yesterday and I enjoyed it. I felt it was a well written novel. Some parts were slow for me though, but overall very gripping and sad during one part near the end. But can someone clear up the ending for me? Who touched his shoulder. Who is the dark figure. Why'd he start running. It sort of just ended. Read the last half page to see what I mean.

As was told to me when I first read it, it's supposed to be ambiguous.

webstar1000
11-24-2015, 07:31 AM

You know.. I always thought RF... or something along that lines... I read the book after he was outed and it just came to mind...

zelig
11-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Okay thanks for the insight guys. Reading Roadwork now. Actually enjoying it so far.

Heather19
11-24-2015, 10:22 AM

Check out this thread The Long Walk Thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3520-The-Long-Walk-Let-s-Discuss!-*SPOILERS*) I know there's been discussion in there about it. Love that book, one of my absolute favorites.

zelig
11-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the link.

Patrick
11-30-2015, 01:07 PM
The Long Walk is one of my favorite King books, Bachman or otherwise.

Currently reading, World War Z.

Patrick
11-30-2015, 01:07 PM
The Long Walk is one of my favorite King books, Bachman or otherwise.

Currently reading, World War Z.

WeDealInLead
11-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Larry Niven - The Ringworld Throne

I'm also listening to It. Steven Weber is my favorite audio book reader, right next to Branson Pinchot.

webstar1000
12-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Just heading out later to grab my next book... I was going to read The Abominable bu Simmons but thought maybe I might start with Justin Cronin's the Passage. What would you guys recommend... keep on with Simmons or read the first two parts of the trilogy?

goheat
12-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Finished Last Call by Tim Powers, whew, what a wild ride! Quickly breezing through Dan Simmons' Watching the Presidential Debates in Elm Haven, then will start his Lovedeath collection...

Heather19
12-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Just heading out later to grab my next book... I was going to read The Abominable bu Simmons but thought maybe I might start with Justin Cronin's the Passage. What would you guys recommend... keep on with Simmons or read the first two parts of the trilogy?

Let me know how The Passage is if you start it. I've had that one for awhile now but haven't gotten to it yet.

goheat
12-01-2015, 10:29 AM

Let me know how The Passage is if you start it. I've had that one for awhile now but haven't gotten to it yet.

I really liked The Passage, read it after meeting Justin Cronin at a book signing in Indianapolis back in 2010. Still haven't read The Twelve, though!

Ricky
12-01-2015, 01:03 PM
The final book in the trilogy, The City of Mirrors is coming out in the spring, so maybe you guys want to wait until then so they're fresh in your minds.

WeDealInLead
12-02-2015, 05:55 PM

The Abominable first then the first two JC books. Try to time it so you finish the second book just before the third one comes out. I read The Twelve as soon as it came out. I'll need a refresher course before The City of Mirrors it out.

I'm reading Ray Russell's The Case Against Satan. I remember that King praised Russell and it could be nothing but coincidence, but just in the first chapter alone there are Susan, Barlow and Halloran.

webstar1000
12-02-2015, 06:11 PM

The Abominable first then the first two JC books. Try to time it so you finish the second book just before the third one comes out. I read The Twelve as soon as it came out. I'll need a refresher course before The City of Mirrors it out.

I'm reading Ray Russell's The Case Against Satan. I remember that King praised Russell and it could be nothing but coincidence, but just in the first chapter alone there are Susan, Barlow and Halloran.

Wow really? That's crazy. And thanks for the tip:) that was what Michael suggested too:)

Dan
12-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Dead Ringers by Christopher Golden. Pretty good, so far.

zelig
12-05-2015, 09:25 AM
Recently finished Roadwork and loved it. Reading The Dark Half now.

Mattrick
12-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I couldn't finish The Dark Half. Stopped about 150 pages in. Picked it up about seven years later, stopped about fifty pages later. That bookmark, a ripped off piece of high school note paper, is still in that book, never to move again lol

zelig
12-05-2015, 10:26 AM
I couldn't finish The Dark Half. Stopped about 150 pages in. Picked it up about seven years later, stopped about fifty pages later. That bookmark, a ripped off piece of high school note paper, is still in that book, never to move again lol

I have a few books like that on the shelves. With the old bookmark stalled some way through. Funny thing is that I also couldn't finish The Dark Half when I had started it about 25 years ago. I'm further along now than where I stopped it back then, and I'm gonna finish it this time!

mae
12-05-2015, 12:14 PM
What is it about The Dark Half that's preventing you guys to keep reading?

biomieg
12-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I was asking myself the same thing. The Dark Half is one of my favorite King books.

zelig
12-05-2015, 12:54 PM
For me I think that I just wasn't in the right frame of mind when I tried to read it all those years ago. I just picked it up the other day after all this time and started reading it. I'm just over 300 pages in and I'm enjoying it.

jsmcmullen92
12-05-2015, 07:31 PM
So I just finished Hyperion. All I have to say is I'm glad I have book two. I would be pissed at that ending without the next segment. Very good just didn't like how it ended. That was worse than The Wastelands, at least then you know something is happening.

ladysai
12-06-2015, 06:05 AM
All I have to say is I'm glad I have book two. I would be pissed at that ending without the next segment. Very good just didn't like how it ended. That was worse than The Wastelands...

Those were my thoughts as well! Something along the lines of "Shit! Well, at least I dont have to wait untold years hoping the next volume gets written!"

Roland of Gilead 33
12-06-2015, 09:56 PM
I just got done reading tonite in fact "The Body Farm' which would be part 5 in the Kay Scarpetta series. by Patrica Cornwell, i read some reviews on good reads of it. and it's sad that a lot of them said that the book is dated the book yes came out in (1994) and there's a part of it that made me laugh, where Kay nearly got kicked off an airplane because some dipshit thought she carrying a gun on her belt. she wasn't it was her Celly. for you young folks here back than when that was written if you don't know cell phones were quite big compared to now. in fact i don't know anyone who had one back than. all ya really need to do is watch "IT" to give you a good laugh. they were a little smaller i think by (1994) though

and of course the technology was out of date as well but my thoughts are who gives a shit? Cell is no doubt prolly out of date as well and that's not even 10 years old so there ya go. anyways, the book wasn't one of her best books. but it had some things in it liked. it's not going to be among my favorites of hers either. but i've read worse books than that one. the girl who loved Tom Gordon is one i can think of off the top of my head. i dunno what i'm going to read next though. anyone read this one ? many people seem to be pissed cause the book is called the body farm and it's only in one small chapter. i don't really give a shit to be honest but to each their own i guess.

Mattrick
12-07-2015, 04:48 AM

It sucked lol.

jsmcmullen92
12-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Starting 'The Fall of Hyperion' -Simmons

Roland of Gilead 33
12-07-2015, 07:47 PM
oh i love the dark half. hell i even enjoy the film! i've seen the film many times and i've read the book a good number of times too & i forgot to add that i started the 2nd 87th Book from way back to (1956)!

i've read this one before but not in prolly 20 years or so? it's a decent book the next one is if my memory is correct a far better book. oh the book i'm reading is (1956)'s like i said by Ed McBain and the book is called "The Mugger' the version i'm reading is the longer version that he later did in the i think early 2000's a few or a couple of years before he died. he died in (2005) in case you are wondering. i'm only on chapter 3 so i'm not that far into it.

Stebbins
12-10-2015, 08:00 AM
http://i1.wp.com/www.bartsbookshelf.co.uk/bookshelf/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/Thieves-Like-Us-by-Stephen-Cole.jpg?resize=260%2C399

Not as good, in my opinion, as the previous two crime fiction books in this collection. I'm almost finished with it though.

Heather19
12-10-2015, 11:16 AM
So is Finders Keepers better than Mr. Mercedes? I finished the first one which I thought was pretty boring and just started listening to the audiobook of Finders Keepers but so far it's worse. Also I have to go back and listen to some of it because I got so bored and started day dreaming :lol:

zelig
12-10-2015, 11:17 AM
So is Finders Keepers better than Mr. Mercedes? I finished the first one which I thought was pretty boring and just started listening to the audiobook of Finders Keepers but so far it's worse. Also I have to go back and listen to some of it because I got so bored and started day dreaming :lol:

Yes it's better. I loved finders keepers. It might be better to read it instead of listening to the audiobook.

webstar1000
12-10-2015, 11:25 AM

Yes it's better. I loved finders keepers. It might be better to read it instead of listening to the audiobook.

I am with you Paul...

Ricky
12-10-2015, 11:35 AM
I liked MM better than FK.

Heather19
12-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Well I had a hard time reading Mr. Mercedes so I switched and started listening to the audiobook. I have the book of Finders Keepers at home but I thought with how much I struggled with Mr. Mercedes that I should just listen to it instead. Its easier for me to get through a boring book by listening, if I have to read it I'll just opt for something more enjoyable. I'll rewind it a bit and listen to it for a little while longer at least. I'm still waiting for Bill Hodges to come into the story, and I'm already a couple hours in.

fernandito
12-10-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm about 130 pages into Bazaar of Bad Dreams and I am not enjoying it at all.

This is the last time I try with King short stories.

Ricky
12-10-2015, 02:40 PM
I have Ur and Summer Thunder left to read. There's a lot that I've enjoyed (Herman Wouk Is Still Alive, Drunken Fireworks, Batman and Robin Have an Altercation), but didn't care for the ones where it was obvious he was experimenting with different styles (Premium Harmony, A Death). I really miss his darker, more off-beat short stories.

mae
12-10-2015, 04:15 PM

Wow. I think it's one of his best!

WeDealInLead
12-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Yeah, some real bangers in there but I was pretty underwhelmed by most of the stories. Mile 81 was a terrible opener.

zelig
12-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Short stories can be hit or miss. It's funny how there are completely different opinions about books. I mean, someone will love a book and another will hate it. Aside from just personal tastes, I also think what has a lot to do with it is how closely the reader can relate to the story on a personal level. For example, I've read numerous negative comments about Roadwork, but I loved that book. A lot had to do with the fact that I could relate to the storyline. It had some sort of emotional tug for me. Just one example but it's interesting to see some of these differing viewpoints about Bazaar. I haven't read it yet so can't even comment.

Heather19
12-10-2015, 04:43 PM

Same here. I started it and got a few stories in and put it down. I think I'm on The Dune? The one with the writing in the sand. So I'm only a few stories in. I've never been huge on his short stories though. Maybe I'll skip ahead and read a few of the stories you mentioned Ricky.

divemaster
12-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Do we have a thread around here somewhere where we discussed or ranked King's short stories? I recall posting my complete rankings (or maybe I just imagined that). If so, I'll rank the recent collection. Some I thought were great, and some...meh. Overall, I thought it a solid collection. Certainly better than Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

goheat
12-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Finished Dan Simmons' Watching the Presidential Debates in Elm Haven and am 2/3 of the way through Children of the Night. Another winner from Simmons!

Ricky
12-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Do we have a thread around here somewhere where we discussed or ranked King's short stories? I recall posting my complete rankings (or maybe I just imagined that). If so, I'll rank the recent collection. Some I thought were great, and some...meh. Overall, I thought it a solid collection. Certainly better than Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

I loved Nightmares and Dreamscapes. :(

jhanic
12-12-2015, 05:21 PM
I've started my umpteenth rereading of The Lord of the Rings. Magnificent!

John

frik
12-13-2015, 10:20 AM
https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/t31.0-8/s960x960/12045731_1042413155780265_3908670383664179692_o.jp g

Latest issue: still the best fanzine ever!

sk

Mattrick
12-13-2015, 04:15 PM
It's Christmas, so buy the gift that keeps on giving because you can read it over and over, my book! Get on the train before my second novel drops in half a year and get 0% off my second novel! I have no means of offering a specific discount like that or I would! Blame the publishing platform!
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11021208_349880641880632_6895224023209429392_n.jpg ?oh=3b811b98657d7ad71fb9ad025dd64270&oe=56E276FB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0140BXYSO?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

WeDealInLead
12-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Laird Barron - X's For Eyes

Roland of Gilead 33
12-13-2015, 06:41 PM
"The Pusher" the 3rd book in 87th Precinct Series' this is old sucker from (1956) and the novel really or any other ones that were done before this are dated that much. sure the slang is different and they solve cases old school. but it still feels current to me. more so than that Scene in The body Farm' that i believe i spoke about on here already? i've read this one in the past at least 2 or 3 times and it's a good one i think. it's just been a long ass time since i last read it that's all.

mae
12-14-2015, 06:04 AM

There was this: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18956-Rating-(Not-Ranking)-Stephen-King-s-Short-Stories

divemaster
12-14-2015, 07:14 AM

There was this: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?18956-Rating-(Not-Ranking)-Stephen-King-s-Short-Stories

Hmmmm, not the one I was thinking of. Perhaps I imagined it. I shall investigate.

edited to add:

I think I was conflating our short story "Battle Royale" poll contest where we voted on favorites, and this thread: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?14769-Create-your-own-SK-short-story-collection

zelig
12-14-2015, 04:55 PM
I want to start a King book which I haven't read yet and can't decide. Of these, which one should I read?

Tommyknockers
Hearts in Atlantis
Insomnia
Dreamcatcher
Cell
The Regulators

divemaster
12-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Tommyknockers -- Ridiculous
Hearts in Atlantis -- Excellent set of somewhat interconnected stories
Insomnia -- Hated it
Dreamcatcher -- Barf
Cell -- I seem to recall it was pretty good; especially the first 2/3ds
The Regulators -- One of the worst things I've ever read

So, obviously, my vote goes to Hearts in Atlantis!

zelig
12-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Ha! Now you can see why I've left these amongst the last to read! I've heard things along the lines of what you just posed. Thanks for the advice.

goheat
12-15-2015, 05:44 AM
Hmm, I really liked Insomnia and Dreamcatcher myself. Now the movie of Dreamcatcher, that's another story...

jsmcmullen92
12-15-2015, 09:21 AM
If you have read Desperation then the Regulators will be weird. I read them that way and didnt like the Regulators but I have heard if you read Regulators first it isn't so bad.

divemaster
12-15-2015, 09:25 AM
If you have read Desperation then the Regulators will be weird. I read them that way and didnt like them but I have heard if you read Regulators first it isn't so bad.

I don't remember which one I read first, but I loved Desperation and hated hated hated The Regulators.

zelig
12-15-2015, 09:28 AM
I actually ended up starting The Regulators. I decided on something shorter than HIA for now. I've already read Desperation (didn't much like it.) Anyway, I'm not very far into it yet but so far I'm actually enjoying it. See how it goes.

Mattrick
12-15-2015, 06:11 PM
I didn't like Desperation either. hearts In Atlantis is great, so is Dreamcatcher.

Cordial Jim
12-15-2015, 07:49 PM
http://magnum-mania.com/images/neighbors.jpg

frik
12-15-2015, 08:50 PM
I actually ended up starting The Regulators. I decided on something shorter than HIA for now. I've already read Desperation (didn't much like it.) Anyway, I'm not very far into it yet but so far I'm actually enjoying it. See how it goes.

Loved The Regulators, did not care for Desperation - except for the first 75 pages or so.

sk

mae
12-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Insomnia is one of King's best.

Mattrick
12-15-2015, 11:35 PM

Loved The Regulators, did not care for Desperation - except for the first 75 pages or so.

sk

For me it was the first 200 or so. It went downhill from there.

webstar1000
12-16-2015, 04:21 AM
Insomnia is one of King's best.

LOVED IT... totally agree....

zelig
12-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Such different opinions. I may read Insomnia next then. I'm 100 pages into Regulators and still enjoying it.

goheat
12-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Continuing my Dan Simmons' mini-marathon, finished Children of the Night and starting in on LoveDeath...

webstar1000
12-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Such different opinions. I may read Insomnia next then. I'm 100 pages into Regulators and still enjoying it.

I can remember reading the end of Insomnia... and when the ending happens "I don't know how much you know"... I was so taken aback and blown away. I jumped out of my seat and yelled out. GF at the time was like "WTF??? It is just a book! What happened to make you jump like that!???". hahahaha I will never forget it...

Lookwhoitis
12-16-2015, 09:29 AM
I just finished Brian Staveley's Emperor's Blades and it was the bomb diggety.

Also, I have picked up some Dan Simmons and Robert McCammon due to the constant mentioning of them in these threads.

Jean
12-17-2015, 02:15 AM

It sucked lol.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)
No it didn't!! I know Mike (path) too thought it was God-awful, but I could never understand why.

Jean
12-17-2015, 02:19 AM
Loved The Regulators, did not care for Desperation - except for the first 75 pages or so.I have been away for so long that I can't remember if we had among us those who loved (or hated) both books equally. (I am in the camp that loves Desperation and hates The Regulators http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html))

divemaster
12-17-2015, 04:53 AM
(I am in the camp that loves Desperation and hates The Regulators http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html))

My name is Dave and I approve this message.

+1 :thumbsup:

fernandito
12-17-2015, 07:53 AM
(I am in the camp that loves Desperation and hates The Regulators http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html))

My name is Dave and I approve this message.

+1 :thumbsup:
:grouphug:

Heather19
12-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Whatever you do don't read Insomnia, the book was awful.
I really enjoyed Cell, The Regulators, Dreamcatcher, and The Tommyknockers. Haven't read Hearts in Atlantis yet so can't comment on that one.

zelig
12-17-2015, 12:00 PM
I really enjoyed Cell, The Regulators, Dreamcatcher, and The Tommyknockers. Haven't read Hearts in Atlantis yet so can't comment on that one.

Gonna have to read it anyway. I'm on a quest to read every published King book. I'm 45 in.

Heather19
12-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Oh, I also finished Finders Keepers. Pretty much put it on par with Mr. Mercedes, which I thought was just kind of blah. Doubt I'll read the last one when it comes out.

Heather19
12-17-2015, 12:04 PM

Gonna have to read it anyway. I'm on a quest to real every published King book. I'm 45 in.

Just don't say I didn't warn you ;)

And I hear you, I have plans to read all of his books as well. I've got quite a few to go. And King is the only author that I've suffered through reading a book I hated just to be able finish it. I usually quit early on.

zelig
12-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the warning! Yeah, I've suffered through a few too. FAB8 comes to mind. But I'm reading them all regardless. There's enough there that are so good though.

divemaster
12-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Normally, even a "bad" King book has good characters. I mean, The Tommyknockers was awful from a story and plot perspective. But I actually did like and care about the characters of Bobbie and Gard. Too bad they could not have been in a better story. The Talisman is another. I though the characters were sympathetic (who cold not like Jack and Wolf?) and the story concept was compelling; it just was not executed in any sort of interesting way (I blame Straub). It was such a chore to get through that book. Even Insomnia had one fairly well-written character in amongst the stupidity that was the story. Every once in a while the opposite happens Gerald's Game actually had an interesting concept but I found myself not caring for the woman at all. This probably should have been a short story, or a short novella at the most. There's only so much you can do with a woman trapped to a bed for 300 pages or whatever it was. But The Regulators had no interesting characters, no interesting story, no plot to speak of that made any sense; nothing at all to recommend.

The reason King is so good is that at least 90% of the time, he nails every aspect of a story. Plot, character, atmosphere--you name it. That's why the misses and disappointments are so glaring.

zelig
12-18-2015, 08:16 AM
Good points. The Talisman for me was also a struggle to get through. As I'm reading The Regulators, it's slowing down now and finding it harder to get through the pages. Gerald's Game I really enjoyed. One of my favorites. Another one that I struggled with was TGWLTG. At least it was short. I also felt a disconnection with the character in that one.

Heather19
12-18-2015, 09:32 AM
I got maybe 100 pages into The Talisman before I put it down.

divemaster
12-18-2015, 09:40 AM
I got maybe 100 pages into The Talisman before I put it down.

I understand totally.

Mattrick
12-18-2015, 01:32 PM

It sucked lol.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif.html)
No it didn't!! I know Mike (path) too thought it was God-awful, but I could never understand why.

It's the only King book I'll say that about.

Ricky
12-18-2015, 02:03 PM
I can't understand the Talisman hate. :(

Dan
12-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Reading Obsession by Ramsey Campbell

Jean
12-19-2015, 01:39 AM
I can't understand the Talisman hate. :(
For me it rapidly went downhill from the middle on

And... once a moderator, always a moderator... even half-blind and half-witted as I am at the moment, bears ROFLed when they saw those latest posts... we have a whole site, with all kinds of threads dedicated to King and King only... but we all get crowded in one of the few threads that are not supposed to be primarily King's and discuss all we could discuss in the roomy, cozy, appropriate, specially designated places http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_grin.gif.html)

P.S. Love Buick. Adore TGWLTG.

WeDealInLead
12-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Reading Obsession by Ramsey Campbell

Great choice.

I'm giving up on Laird Barron - X's for Eyes. I've read 60 pages and have only 40 left but I just don't care anymore. I'm going to start new Koontz and new Grant Morrison (Multiversity).

frik
12-19-2015, 07:01 AM
https://s3-eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/centaur-wp/creativereview/prod/content/uploads/2015/12/cover.jpg

Amazing book about (still) the best movie ever, science-fiction or otherwise!

sk

WeDealInLead
12-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Ray Bradbury - Dinosaur Tales

frik
12-20-2015, 08:58 PM
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320533272l/12754794.jpg

killjoy72
12-21-2015, 06:04 AM
I love that book, Frik!

Roland of Gilead 33
12-26-2015, 05:41 PM
I've yet to finish The Talisman so i can't say if it's a good one or a bad one to be fair. but i love The Tommy Knockers the only downside to that book is that it takes to damn long for shit to happen. it takes forever for Gardner To get to Bobby and once he does the book for me anyways starts to have shit happen. but The Regulators have you read that one before? it's shit utter shit i've read that one i think 2 or 3 times and why so many times? i was given it a 2nd chance and it's a horrible book. now Desperation i loved when i 1st read it and it was a fast read for me. but i than read The Regulators which i read next and though the characters are the same damn near except some characters lived and some died in each book.

that was really the only cool thing about it, well that and the Original Art Cover that connected to The Regulators

frik
12-27-2015, 06:48 AM
Loved The Regulators, did not care for Desperation...:)

sk

zelig
12-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Finally finished The Regulators last night. Probably my least favorite King book. I'm amazed that some people liked it. For me it was slow and boring and I felt disconnect from the characters. Most of the time I was confused as to who was doing what and what was going on. Oh well, at least it's done. Onto the next.

goheat
12-29-2015, 07:10 AM
Finished Lovedeath by Dan Simmons. AMAZING collection, I loved all of the stories. Started in on Expiration Date by Tim Powers...

fernandito
12-29-2015, 08:13 AM

sk
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Girlystevedave
12-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Finally finished The Regulators last night. Probably my least favorite King book. I'm amazed that some people liked it. For me it was slow and boring and I felt disconnect from the characters. Most of the time I was confused as to who was doing what and what was going on. Oh well, at least it's done. Onto the next.

I've noticed that most books King has written as Richard Bachman leave me with a feeling of detachment from the characters/stories. I don't know that I can remember one Bachman book that I thought was more than just okay. :orely:

sk
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

:lol:!

Girlystevedave
12-29-2015, 12:12 PM
I just started The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Short stories never seem to quench my thirst like a novel, but we'll see.

Ricky
12-29-2015, 12:17 PM
I've noticed that most books King has written as Richard Bachman leave me with a feeling of detachment from the characters/stories. I don't know that I can remember one Bachman book that I thought was more than just okay. :orely:

I feel the same way, Amanda.

Mattrick
12-29-2015, 12:24 PM
Boo me then, too. Desperation was a let down.

Dan
12-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Reading The Procidence Rider
Listening to The Stand, again

frik
12-29-2015, 01:25 PM

sk

I think maybe this Bachman guy was the better author.
King's ok, but Bachman tops him, definitely in this case.
So sorry he's no longer with us...

sk

zelig
12-29-2015, 01:26 PM
I thought Roadwork was fantastic. Definitely felt a strong connection to the character in that one.

jreitan47
12-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Hey! Check out my review of Charles Lambert's THE CHILDREN'S HOME (comes out next month from Scribner), on Cemetery Dance online!

http://cemeterydanceonline.com/2015/12/review-the-childrens-home-by-charles-lambert/

Patrick
12-30-2015, 11:08 PM
I love The Talisman. Perhaps because it was amongst my first King books and because I was young the first time I read it.

On topic, currently reading: Old Man's War, by John Scalzi.

WeDealInLead
01-02-2016, 08:56 AM
I love The Talisman. Perhaps because it was amongst my first King books and because I was young the first time I read it.

John Scalzi is adamant about not having read Joe Haldeman's The Forever War before writing Old Man's War. That's a pretty bold claim, considering the title, plot, and characters. Everything really. Still, it's a great story.

Reading now: Reassuring Tales by T.E.D. Klein.

Ben Staad
01-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Reading "Way Station" by Clifford D. Simak.

jhanic
01-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Simak has been one of my favorites for a long, long time. I mourn his passing.

John

mkberger
01-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Just finished Connie Willis' DOOMSDAY BOOK, my first re-read in many years. Brilliant. Up next is the new Guy Gavriel Kay, CHILDREN OF EARTH AND SKY.

Patrick
01-03-2016, 05:40 PM

John Scalzi is adamant about not having read Joe Haldeman's The Forever War before writing Old Man's War. That's a pretty bold claim, considering the title, plot, and characters. Everything really. Still, it's a great story.
Really? That's amazing. I'm still early in the book, but so far I like Old Man's War more than The Forever War. We'll see how it compares to Starship Troopers.

webstar1000
01-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Anyone have a "end of the world" Book they love? Just about killed the Passage in a few days. Loved it....

Dan
01-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Anyone have a "end of the world" Book they love? Just about killed the Passage in a few days. Loved it....

Swan Song is pretty good.

zelig
01-03-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm onto Insomnia.

WeDealInLead
01-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Webstar, try Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan's The Strain trilogy. Erase the TV show from memory first.

Reading: Honeymoon in Hell - Frederic Brown. Interesting but maybe a little too quirky for me. I'm about to start Heinlein's "lost" novel, For Us, the Living.

Dan
01-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Currently reading Deeper by Jeff Long.

jsmcmullen92
01-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Started and finished the Colorado Kid yesterday. It was ok, not the best but I didn't hate it. Still going strong on Fall of Hyperion, very dense and taking me awhile.

wolfehr
01-04-2016, 07:15 AM
Started Misery over the weekend. I'm about 30 pages in and really enjoying it so far. I have tickets to see the play on the 19th and am going to try and finish the book before then.

frik
01-04-2016, 07:44 AM

Swan Song is pretty good.

Yes, it is.
So is Brian Hodge's Dark Advent: excellent read!

sk

Mattrick
01-04-2016, 09:37 PM

The Road and Cat's Cradle.

Stebbins
01-05-2016, 07:51 PM

The Road and Cat's Cradle.

Yes. The Stand is certainly a go-to as well in that sub-genre.

I'm waltzing my way through Rebel without a Crew. It's a fascinating account of how Robert Rodriguez made his first feature film, El Mariachi, told through his journal passages. Insightful and witty. I'm also re-reading Lemons Never Lie for fiction right now.

Mattrick
01-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Not sure how I forgot The Stand.

zelig
01-05-2016, 08:00 PM

You get 5 days in the hole for that. :smile:

firemonkey66
01-05-2016, 08:11 PM

Blood Music by Greg Bear is a great read and a fairly unique take on that genre. Another one that I personally love is The Devil Next Door by Tim Curran. It reminded me a bit of King's Cell, but a much more disturbingly gruesome and ultraviolent story. Reader beware for that one.

Mattrick
01-05-2016, 10:16 PM

You get 5 days in the hole for that. :smile:

Better than five days in the chokey.

Heather19
01-06-2016, 05:45 AM
I'm waltzing my way through Rebel without a Crew. It's a fascinating account of how Robert Rodriguez made his first feature film, El Mariachi, told through his journal passages. Insightful and witty.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

jsmcmullen92
01-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Restarted Wolves of the Calla after I put down the series last October.

wolfehr
01-06-2016, 08:51 AM
I second recommendations for The Stand (obviously) and Cat's Cradle. I've heard great things about The Road, but haven't managed to read that one yet. I Am Legend is also a great end of world book, with a vampire twist!

WeDealInLead
01-06-2016, 10:58 AM
I couldn't get through Heinlein's For Us, The Living. Some neat ideas that he later used or improved upon. I liked the one where every war needs a referendum. For people for war, the enlisting information is on the back of the ballot and they have to report tomorrow. This apparently cut down on the mob mentality. When it was time act, civilians eager to send others to war proved to be as disinclined as soldiers who also voted no. Wars still happened but you really had to believe in them.

I did read his Time for the Stars in a day though. Adventure, science, ideas, and great pacing. Also finished Final Conversations with Philip K. Dick. An intimate look into a complex mind. He discusses and basically plots his unpublished novel Owl in the Daylight during the interview.

I'm sticking with Heinlein: The Man Who Sold the Moon.

Mattrick
01-06-2016, 12:17 PM
I second recommendations for The Stand (obviously) and Cat's Cradle. I've heard great things about The Road, but haven't managed to read that one yet. I Am Legend is also a great end of world book, with a vampire twist!

The Road is great. It's practically bereft of levity, though.

Girlystevedave
01-07-2016, 01:13 PM
I am really enjoying Bazaar of Bad Dreams more than I expected. :)

fernandito
01-07-2016, 02:22 PM
Damn, really? I stopped about a fourth of the way through. None of the stories really captured me.

Heather19
01-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Yeah I haven't gone back to it yet either. But I've never really been a huge fan of his short stories.

Patrick
01-09-2016, 11:19 AM

The Road is great. It's practically bereft of levity, though.
Agreed.
All four are very different, but all good books.

Currently reading, THE GHOST BRIGADES, by John Scalzi.

frik
01-09-2016, 11:25 AM
https://kitleyskrypt.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/fantastic-films-of-the-decades-vol-1.jpg

sk

Tommy
01-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Yeah I haven't gone back to it yet either. But I've never really been a huge fan of his short stories.

To me, it's his weakest collection.

Mattrick
01-09-2016, 08:17 PM
I picked up Anna Karenina again. I didn't put it down because I didn't like it, quite the opposite, in fact. I just got sidetracked doing other stuff.

Dan
01-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Midnight's Lair by Richard Laymon
Listening to The Silent Hour by Michael Koryta

Ricky
01-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Listening to The Silent Hour by Michael Koryta

That's part of the Lincoln Perry series, right? I've read all but one of Koryta's stand-alone books, but haven't read any of the LP series.