Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: The Ray Bradbury Thread

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Ray Bradbury Thread

So what are your thoughts on Ray? I've read a lot of his short stories, but only a few of his novels. Personally, I think he works better with the former rather than the latter.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

I love Ray's non-spaceship stuff and I agree that 100's of short stories are his gold although he's definitely got a half a dozen novels that are huge winners..."Something Wicked...." comes to mind first.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Something Wicked is the only thing I've read of his....so far. But the poetry of the writing struck me as something uniquely wonderful, and I will surely read more of his work in the future.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Even his novels tend to be short story collections, books like Green Shadow, White Whale (one of my favorites) and Dandelion Wine. I liked Death is a Lonely Buisiness a lot, along with its sequel. I haven't bought any of the recent collections, like those issued by Subterranean, but I've read a ton of his stuff over the years and am rarely disappointed. I had the honor of meeting him once and the picture from that encounter hangs in a place of prominence in our house.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only read Fahrenheit 451 so far, but I have to say I think it is my favorite novel. I really can't wait to read more of him.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My Dad is the biggest Ray Bradbury fan I know, and he encouraged me to read him from a very early age - I believe I started with The Machineries Of Joy. I really enjoy his short stories and I'm not, on the whole, a short story fan. His novels are great though, Something Wicked This Way Comes is way up on my list of "Books that everyone should read", it's truly fantastic.

Of his more recent (1990's/2000's) works, I really enjoyed A Graveyard For Lunatics which was a great premise for a story and very exciting to read.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Here's a tough one....what is your favorite Bradbury short story???
    One that instantly pops to my mind is:
    "The Utterly Perfect Murder"

On another note, an amazing book that Ray spills a lot of his writing tricks is:
    "Zen and the Art of Writing". If you are an aspiring writer and have not read it,
    well foo on you.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That's no contest for me, A Miracle Of Rare Device is my all time favourite short by Mr Bradbury

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I cant wait to read these short stories

BTW, what books are they in?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I cant wait to read these short stories

BTW, what books are they in?
    "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" and "Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales" are both massive collections with 100 stories each with no overlapping between them.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

UPM is in several books "Long after midnight" and "the stories of...."
    Both of which are altogether awesome