Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Saga

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Twilight Saga

I figured it is time this had its own thread. I know maerlyn and myself are huge fans and many others have expressed interest in reading the series by Stephenie Meyer.

The 4th and final book in the series, Breaking Dawn, came out yesterday and I plan on getting it later this afternoon. If this book is anything like the past 3, I won't be able to get anything done or sleep until I finish reading it.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I had never heard of this series until the Wall Street Journal ran an article last week regarding the publication of the final volume. Without spoilers, what's it about?

John

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Talk about your coincidences...I actually signed on this morning just to see if this site had a thread about this.

I haven't read any of the books, but I want to. Neither Wal-Mart or Sam's have the first book of the series and the closest bookstore to me is about 10 miles away, but I might try to go get it today.

I have a question though, I know they were written primarily for "young adults", I'm just worried that it will be too "simple". I mean don't get me wrong, I looooooooved Harry Potter (not that those were simple in any shape or form) and those were primarily for kids (or at least it started off that way). I'm just really excited about having a new series to start and I don't want to be disappointed.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I work at a bookstore and I have heard absolutely positively nothing bad about the books so far...

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I had never heard of this series until the Wall Street Journal ran an article last week regarding the publication of the final volume. Without spoilers, what's it about?

John
    Simply put, the series is a love story about a human girl named Bella and a vampire boy named Edward and the problems that go along with that kind of forbidden love. Also thrown in are really interesting subplots involving warewolves, powerful, ancient vampire sects and the ultimate question, should Bella be changed into a vampire so she can live imortally with Edward for all eternity....or not?

There are 4 total books in the series:
    Twilight
    New Moon
    Eclipse
    Breaking Dawn

Also, Stephenie Meyer's is also planning on publishing a re-write of the first novel, but instead of being from Bella's perspective, it is going to be a re-telling of Twilight from Edward's perspective. This should be really interesting as Edward can read minds and this will clear up a lot of questions from the first book. Also, the movie version of the first book is coming out to theatres this December.

Oh, and it's interesting to point out that the books are super popular, especially amongst teenage girls. The 3rd book, Eclipse, sold more copies than the final Harry Potter novel.

Quote Originally Posted by She-Oy View Post
    I have a question though, I know they were written primarily for "young adults", I'm just worried that it will be too "simple". I mean don't get me wrong, I looooooooved Harry Potter (not that those were simple in any shape or form) and those were primarily for kids (or at least it started off that way). I'm just really excited about having a new series to start and I don't want to be disappointed.
    I don't think they are written to simply at all. I was very impressed with the books and how much they "drew me in" and had me hooked. I do have a couple issues with the main female character, Bella, involving her being a role-model for young girls, but the awesome storytelling even distracts me from that. She also has a fresh new view on vampires, their powers and what they can and can't do. Edward and the rest of his "family" are not your typical vampires. Also, even though the books are targeted at young adults, I think they had very adult themes, especially in the 2nd and 3rd books. Plots involving sex, marriage, choosing between loves, self-sacrifice and death are all discussed. I think if you read the first one, Heather, you will be hooked.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'll have to try them!

John

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Ok, sarajean talked me into reading the first book ... and I was a little disappointed. She promised me that it got better after the first book, but I haven't picked up the others yet.

I figure I've already invested in buying the first book, and I really should buy the next three just because I get really really irritated when I don't have the full collection of something.

I just thought the plot was contrived and seriously she goes on and on and on about Edward and his copper colored hair and he's so handsome, and she wants to lick his balls, blah, blah, blah. If you don't like listening to teenage girls talk ad nauseum about boys, then skip the first 200 pages of the first book.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wants to lick his balls.....

I agree with that. The 2nd and 3rd books are way better than the 1st. Bella's not so annoying in them.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I figure there's a reason these books are selling like crazy. I do have a $25 B&N card that I have to use on something. Maybe I'll use it to pick up the next book.

Erin, I'm not asking for any major spoilers, just a yes or no: are there any sexy parts coming up? This would make it worth it to me to read the other three books.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes.

My Mood
    Amused

Thank you!

Sweet!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I loved it in an ooie gooie way. It is so teenage drama in the first book and it can sort of make you want to throw up. BUT, I would suggest rereading twilight and then go straight onto New Moon. I think it all flows better when you read one right after another.

Personally, I was a bit shocked at myself for loving these four books. It just isn't my personality to read teen love stories or love stories in general. I like The Wastelands and such not this "I love you forever" crap that you hear every two pages. I was totally sucked in and then fed the poison to all so that they could be with me in this mess. Sarajean was sucked in too.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Amused

it was like a chain reaction. you got sj hooked, who got me hooked, and i'll be sure to pass it on to a friend of mine too. i'd try aaron but i know for a fact he won't even entertain the idea of reading them.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

After reading some of the above, I think I'll pass on the series. I'm not really into teenage girls' love lives.

John

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't think I was either, but I still got hooked.

But seriously, yea, I don't blame you. It's not for everyone.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've just about finished reading the first book... and I agree... If you can get over the teenage love drama its really a great book... I was sooo excited when I realized there would be werewolves! The first has been a rather quick read aswell.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I got sucked in. Started it last night, I'm half way finished, pretty sure I'll finish book 1 tonight. I'm actually buying into the romantic moosh and like it. I was all, "HURRY UP AND KISS DAMMIT!!!", so now I want them to do more than nuzzle. Of course it could just be my hormones raging. LOL

So, I haven't made it to any action part yet, but in the trailer for the movie there is this "James" character who appears to maybe be a blonde, bad vampire...whooohoo! I'm all about badboy blonde vampires. Back in the day I'd take Louis over Lestat anyday (of course that's before Tom Cruise went all scientology freak and I thought he was hot with fangs)

Hmmm, maybe I can get Will to dress up like a vampire this Halloween. He's got the hair and the height. LOL
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've succumbed to my curiousity after listening to Maer, SaraJean and Erin - and went to get the first book out of my library yesterday...the librarian told me all the Twilight books have been reserved until November!!!

She's ordered me Host instead...is that any good?

John F. Kennedy steph is on a distinguished road

Yes The Host is good. I read it before any of the Twillight books.
    It is written for adults and overall is better written IMO. And I think it will appeal to both sexes.

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Twilight when it first came out and I found it boring and juvenile so I haven't attempted to pick up the rest of the series. However, I am thinking about reading the series before seeing the movie, or at least give them a try. I think I read the book at the wrong time in my life. I was going through an Anne Rice phase and Twilight just couldn't compare.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

Along the Path of the Beam lipgloss_and_revolver is on a distinguished road lipgloss_and_revolver's Avatar

I read the first one just to see what everyone's squeeing about.. I didn't like it at all. And I saw reviews about the following books which really didn't encourage me to read them anymore.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So I was screwing off at work this morning and found this...

Midnight Sun - Partial Draft

It's apparently the first book from Edwards POV... I read the first chapter a few months back (before the entire thing showed up) and was impressed. So if any of you are looking for a fix before the movie check it out!

Oh yeah... the link goes directly to a .pdf version of the book
    Last edited by what; 10-28-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Clarification

My Mood
    Amused

I need to read the fourth book. So don't no one spoil me, alright?

The whole series was a lot of teenage angst and whining. But somehow, even through all of that, I still have the hots for Jacob. Big muscly hottie - rawr.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Oh man, yeah Hannah you definitely need to read Breaking Dawn. It's the best by far.

For my part, I read all four in four days. The whole time I was reading I was thinking "Wow, these books are ridiculous, but I CAN'T PUT THEM DOWN!"

24 days until the film comes out - have you seen the preview? The characters aren't how I imagined them at all - the Bella in my head is SO different from Kristen Stewart.
    BUT I'm still excited to see what they do with it.

Oh, and Robert Pattinson is hot shit as Edward. (He played Cedric Diggory in HP).

My Mood
    Amused

He is a good choice for Edward. But I totally agree with you on the girl playing Bella, not how I pictured her either.

That girl is too ... bitchy looking. I always pictured Bella as softer looking somehow. But whatevs, the movie looks all nice and teenage angsty. I would have ate this up even harder had I been a teenager when it came out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast