Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Darkly dreaming Dexter

Traveler chrismart83 is on a distinguished road

Default ......................

Last edited by chrismart83; 02-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read any of the books, but the TV series on Showtime is great! I believe they are going to start showing it on CBS soon, but with all the editing they'l' do it'll probably suck

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oooh I didn't know they had any Dexter books. I've never seen the TV show, but I plan on renting the DVD's soon. I've loved Michael C. Hall ever since I first watched Six Feet Under, so I'm really interested in Dexter. Let me know how the books are!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Traveler lobstrositysoup is on a distinguished road lobstrositysoup's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Very dark humor, but excellent stuff. Sooner or later I'll pick up the next two. I'm also waiting for the reruns to air on CBS so I can finally watch the show.
    May it do ya fine.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The books are pretty different. The first book is the closest to the show although there are a couple of drastic changes. The second season is only marginally similar to the second book in that
    Spoiler:
    they both have Doakes becoming a pain in Dexter's behind, and is later 'taken care of' by another killer. Although Doakes survives in the books.
    Speaking of which, I wasn't too crazy with how
    Spoiler:
    the second season ended with Doakes being killed off and Dexter blaming him for his crimes. I was under the impression that they were 'softening' Dexter from the books to make him more sympathetic to TV audiences but that made him a lot worse than the novel's incarnation, IMO.
    I'm very curious to see what route they're taking with the next season and if it follows the third book.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Is this the show about that serial killer that catches other serial killers?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yep.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished the first season of the TV show yesterday! Wow, what a great show. I can't wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD.

I will be reading these books very soon.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Darkly, Dreaming Dexter is a good read. I read it before the show started. Both are great at telling a story two different ways. The show only bought rights to the first book and changed thereafter. I picked up Dearly, Devoted Dexter but haven't read it yet.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've heard super good stuff about it.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

dexter is so cool. the books are a lot better but i love the way the show deviated from them, it's worth watching, but after you read the books. you have to read all of them because dexter in the dark was this great little surprise. you pick it up expecting it's probably an alright book, and out of nowhere it's just the perfect book to be reading.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I watched season 1 before I picked up the book ... and I wasn't too thrilled with it. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it was the fact that I was reading the book whilst in the hospital, but it didn't seem to have the same umph that the show has.

I'm excited for season two though, I've heard it was pretty damn good.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been watching season 2 online and absolutely love it.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    I watched season 1 before I picked up the book ... and I wasn't too thrilled with it. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it was the fact that I was reading the book whilst in the hospital, but it didn't seem to have the same umph that the show has.

I'm excited for season two though, I've heard it was pretty damn good.
    That's because many plotlines were added in respect to the medium change. The whole
    Spoiler:
    Rudy getting involved with Deborah, LaGuerta dying
    were added for television. I thought the book was amazing when I first read it. The prose, getting inside Dexter's head is what makes the book so great.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Along the Path of the Beam cru is on a distinguished road cru's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ive read the first book and watched the first season on dvd.
    i prefer the show, but the book was a fast and easy, enjoyable read. id recommend it for a road trip or something. a lot of alliteration goes on in that guys head.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just saw the first episode last on TV and it looks promising. Must get the books to see what they are like.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've now watched both seasons of the TV show. I freaking loved it. I think it's so great that they actually have Dexter becoming more human in how he relates to others and experiences emotions. That growth is what makes the show stand out from others. They could have easily gone the formulaic route, but instead made it more in depth.

I went to the library the other day to get the first book, but it was checked out. I'm on a small waiting list for it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've been watching the episodes now that they're airing on CBS, and I'm really enjoying it. But can someone tell me how the first episode ended. I ended up falling asleep and missed about the last 20min of it, and I was a bit confused when the second episode started. Was the killer from the first episode caught, or is he still on the loose (the one who kills without leaving any blood behind), and then something with finding a refridgerated vehicle, was that the killers, and then it also showed something about Dexter receiving a doll in the previews from the previous episode.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't remember exactly how the first episode ended, but I can tell you for sure that the killer who doesn't leave any blood behind did not get caught. You get to deal with him for the rest of the season.

The refridgerated vehicle is what he uses to transport his victims in (hense his name the Ice Truck Killer). He puts in Dexter's freezer a Barbie doll cut into segments like he cuts his victims, as a way to show Dexter...I know who you are.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thank you so much, now it makes more sense.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read all the books.. and I LOVE the show.. I bought the first season on DVD even tho, I'd already watched it. Now I don't have Showtime so I've missed the whole second season except for the first episode I think.

The Dexter from the books was a little different at first, but I read that the author changed the Dexter in the books to be a little more like the Dexter on the show. I think they're both great. I really wish they'd have done the serial killer from the second novel... that was the crazy doctor guy right? or was that the third one? I always get sequels messed up.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cant wait for the next season to see what changes they've made. The first two books I've read are good but think the changes they in the show are better. Must get the next book before the new season starts.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

how in the hell did i miss this thread????

i love dexter to pieces. absolutely love him. i read the first book. then got it as an audiobook (and the guy reading it is amazing!). now i have all three on audio.

i rented season one from blockbuster after reading the first book and really liked it. i haven't seen season two yet (so i skipped the spoilers - and say thankya for using them!) and am debating whether or not to just pay for it from itunes or wait for the dvds and rent them.

in the meantime, i anxiously await the next novel. it's such a twisted concept and so fascinating. he knows who and what he is and just goes through life doing what he does. and, you know, if a couple of serial killers get killed in the process, hey whatever. that's just part of the code of harry. and i love the idea of a serial killer who can't stand the sight of blood. that just cracks me up.

i can't wait for the next book!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

There were some changes between the first book and the first season, but it's fairly consistent. The whole Paul (Rita's ex) storyline doesn't exist in the novel, and the resolution of the ice truck killer is a touch different, as is Deb's knowledge of Dexter's nature after that event.

The second season is vastly different than the second novel. There are only occasional instances where they touch -- the remote cabin, for example, and Deb getting involved with a Fed, though the Fed character is much better drawn and far different on the TV series. Doakes' fate is quite different between the two as well.

Jimmy Smits will join the cast of Dexter in Season 3 as a Miami DA who teams with Dex to track a killer who affects both their lives directly. I hear that the third novel gets supernatural. I wasn't fond of what the novels do with Rita's kids, either. All in all, I prefer the TV series, which is a don't-miss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast