Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Historical Fiction

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Historical Fiction

I don't know about you guys, but some of the best reading, to me, is in this genre. Most of my favorite books are this type. Here's a few of my favorites, in that order.

1 & 2.) a set, and my two favorite books ever, probably.
    "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" by Herman Wouk.

I would recommend those two to anyone, even if you don't care about history.

3. "Aztec" by Gary Jennings. he has a couple of them on this genre, and Aztec itself has a couple of pretty good sequels.

4. "The Journeyer" also by Gary Jennings. The story of Marco Polo.

5. "Gettysburg" by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen

Maybe you guys can tell me about some other historical fiction out there, I'd love to expand my library.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Stephen R. Lawhead writes some good historical fiction.

Patrick: Son of Ireland is pretty good.

He writes a lot of stuff that is historical fiction in that it is based on mth stuff, but has his own imagining. He has one called Hood that is about Robin Hood that I really want to read, and some really good stuff based on King Arthur called The Pendragon Cycle.

You can read about his books at his website: http://www.stephenlawhead.com/
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Judith Tarr's works are almost all historical fiction, but they often have a touch of fantasy thrown in to boot. Her most famous work is The Hound and the Falcon trilogy, comprised of The Isle of Glass, The Golden Horn, and The Hounds of God. The series is set during the Crusades, and is dealing mostly with religion versus nature in the central character, a Catholic monk who is also a member of the fair folk and therefore evil according to his own faith. It's one of my favorite series ever, really.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Stephen R. Lawhead writes some good historical fiction.

Patrick: Son of Ireland is pretty good.

He writes a lot of stuff that is historical fiction in that it is based on mth stuff, but has his own imagining. He has one called Hood that is about Robin Hood that I really want to read, and some really good stuff based on King Arthur called The Pendragon Cycle.

You can read about his books at his website: http://www.stephenlawhead.com/
    Sounds like my kind of stuff. A book about Robin Hood sounds good, i'll have to pick it up or ebay it. thanks Chris.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    Judith Tarr's works are almost all historical fiction, but they often have a touch of fantasy thrown in to boot. Her most famous work is The Hound and the Falcon trilogy, comprised of The Isle of Glass, The Golden Horn, and The Hounds of God. The series is set during the Crusades, and is dealing mostly with religion versus nature in the central character, a Catholic monk who is also a member of the fair folk and therefore evil according to his own faith. It's one of my favorite series ever, really.
    :O i must find this book, and destroy it as heresy!

jk! i'd love to read this. I also enjoy some good fantasy on occasion, my favorite being The Dragonriders of Pern series.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Haha, Pern! High five. I used to read those all the time.

I gotta find those again. It's been years.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

300!!!

Although it's a graphic novel, it's still very well written (and illustrated).

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    300!!!

Although it's a graphic novel, it's still very well written (and illustrated).
    how can I have forgotten Gates of Fire?? It is the story of the Battle of Thermopylae, as historically accurate as possible. It is still a great story, and one of my favorites. Steven Pressfield is the author, ask for it by name!

Seriously, every one of you should read this book, it is awesome.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It sounds great. I can't wait till 300 comes out on DVD
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Breezy

I already have it on dvd.....

it's the best quality bootleg I've ever had, it's like a real dvd.

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It sounds great. I can't wait till 300 comes out on DVD
    Amen to that. I saw it in the IMAX theater - absolutely amazing.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not big on buying bootleg dvd's, however I do burn original dvd's quite frequently. However, I need to have 300 on original, this director deserves my money for coming up with this visual masterpiece.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure I have the technical expertise to download movies

Not to mention, I already have a file at the federal government going on me.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Not to mention, I already have a file at the federal government going on me.
    Do you work for British intelligence? And if so, do you prefere your drinks shaken and not stirred?

No but seriously, what did you do to piss off the government?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was just playing but I have had a very mis spent youth.

We have a joke on the phone that every time you talk about drugs or partying, the NSA picks up the line.

TBH--I really hope I don't

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I'm not big on buying bootleg dvd's, however I do burn original dvd's quite frequently. However, I need to have 300 on original, this director deserves my money for coming up with this visual masterpiece.

I don't usually do bootlegs either, but it's a testament of my love for this movie that I had to have it right away. I will buy it again when it comes out though, just to get the deleted scenes and bonus features.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always been a fan of anything by Allan W. Eckert.

These stories to me, are America's mythology. Tecumseh, Daniel Boone, et cetera. Even though it's history, it's unfathomable to me to grasp that this stuff actually happened, especially what happened in my home state Ohio, it feels like it's mythology, even though it's the truth. Anyway, the historical Native Americans and the New Americans who were forever expanding west for a new country, are equal in respect and fascination to read. I just love this stuff!

My Mood
    Breezy

He has some good books, I read Blue Jacket, and it was very good. I also like reading the books on native Generals. Have you ever reas James Alexander Thom? He has a book named Panther In The Sky, about the life of Tecumseh, which is awesomely written. I've also read stories on Sitting Bull and Geronimo.

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

The Alienist by Caleb Carr is a pretty good book. Kind of Sherlock Holmes-ish.
    In Digitized Remorse

My Mood
    Dead

Matthew Pearl's The Dante Club is a fun read. It stars legendary literary figures during their translation of The Divine Comedy, and is about murders that take place in Boston that reflect some of the circles of Hell as described by Dante.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    I don't usually do bootlegs either, but it's a testament of my love for this movie that I had to have it right away. I will buy it again when it comes out though, just to get the deleted scenes and bonus features.
    Good man, JB.

My Mood
    Breezy

Ok, you guys have given me some fuel for my reading list. Today I started my reread of Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield. Again, i recommend it to everyone!

Traveler Squatchie is on a distinguished road Squatchie's Avatar

Three words: Guy Gavriel Kay.

He's Canadian, and very talented. Though, of course, that goes without saying. Years back he helped Christopher Tolkein edit The Silmarillion before it was published.

Tigana -- Italy
    A Song For Arbonne -- Medieval France
    The Lions of Al-Rassan -- Spain (probably my favourite book, and soon to be made into a movie)
    The Sarantine Mosaic (a duology made up of Sailing To Sarantium and Lord Of Emperors) -- 6th-century Byzantium
    The Last Light Of The Sun -- Viking, Anglo-Saxon and Celtic cultures (also going to be a movie)

Some of the specific eras elude me (obviously) but they're all great.

He also did a trilogy (they're his first published works, actually) that was high-fantasy rather than historical, though they do draw from myth and magic from several different cultures -- including that of King Arthur. They're my all-time favourite books. The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire and The Darkest Road, together comprising The Fionavar Tapestry.

www.brightweavings.com

My Mood
    Breezy

Great Squatchie! thanks!

The Lions Of Al-Rassan, I'll get those soon.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey JB, I just ordered Gates of Fire from Amazon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast