Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen King Proofs

Hybrid View

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A proof, or another term is advance reader copy (ARC), or advance galley proof, is usually a trade-paperback sized softcover edition of a book that is sent to reviewers, etc. before the actual publication of that book.

Because these are generally issued in very small numbers and many are actually used for what they were distributed, they are usually fairly hard to find. The largest edition of a King proof that I know of was the US Rose Madder--10,000 copies--where the actual Rose Madder US edition probably had a first edition first printing of more than a million copies.

These volumes represent the actual first printing of the book. One of the major reasons I like getting them is that, especially in the case of my getting the proof before the book is published, I enjoy reading the story before most other people.

There is no single resource that I know of that catalogues these. That's what I'm trying to do. Accurate information on these is usually VERY hard to get. For example, I emailed the UK publisher of Lisey's Story about their proofs. I got a response saying that all their proofs had been numbered, but one that I'm sure of made it out without a number. I've seen the pictures!

Hope this helps!

John

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The largest edition of a King proof that I know of was the US Rose Madder--10,000 copies--where the actual Rose Madder US edition probably had a first edition first printing of more than a million copies.
    1,750,000 copies, First Printing to be exact. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    These volumes represent the actual first printing of the book. One of the major reasons I like getting them is that, especially in the case of my getting the proof before the book is published, I enjoy reading the story before most other people.
    Ouch! this is where you and I differ John. I know you expressed that you do not read your limited editions, and now I am to understand you read the proofs. Whereas I like to read my Limited Editions, but I never read a proof. The fact that they are so fragile, being paperbacks and all keeps me away from reading them. So I guess we are opposites in regards to proofs and limited editions.

One exception was Joe Hill's heart Shaped box, because the guy who gave it to me wanted a response on how I felt about the book. So I had to read it before the hardcover came out.

+ Reply to Thread