Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
I will also say that Wolves contains my single favorite moment of the series which is Oy's greeting to the Calla-folken at the pavillion. To me that scene shows exactly how much of a genius Roland really is. Not only does he show up in the hour of their greatest need, bearing a famous name and famous guns, but he's even brought a talking billy-bumbler whom he has trained to act like a Gunslinger. The dance was but the encore, Oy was the show.
I couldn't agree more! I felt an overwhelming surge of pride when Oy greeted the Calla-folken. Roland's Rice dance was amazing also. It was refreshing to see him having a good time and behaving as most humans do- even though his blue eyes were stone cold up until the end of his dance.

Roland and Callahan have a lot in common in this respect- they have seen the worst of humanity and it shows in their mien. Roland's eyes are forever cold, and Callahan can see the emptiness and sadness in a Dixie cup blowing across a street.

I do not think that this book was drawn out as a whole, but I do agree that Callahan's story was too long. I skimmed a few paragraphs (being a literature and ESL teacher I am the master at skimming while still getting the gist). But you know what? I did the same thing in the drawing of the three with Odetta/Detta. Her part of the tale really, really got to me...I don't know how to put it exactly- but it's akin to how I feel when I do too many crossword puzzles in a row. I just felt funny in my tummy and I wanted it to end (even though I liked it). Actually, I had to stop reading the series for a few months after that book. :-)