Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The folks of the Calla

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

*slaps CK*

Michael Jackson SON-OF-WAYNE is on a distinguished road SON-OF-WAYNE's Avatar

Some of the Calla folk pissed me off too, but Roland made a deal with Callahan and he kept his word.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I quite liked the Calla folken. I live in a similar sort of farming community and I felt like (barring the Wolves of course!) I could happily live in the Calla.
    I guess you mean without the wolves..

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Indeed!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

But, don't the Wolves add to the lovely atmosphere?

Gunslinger Apprentice To The Dark Tower Came is on a distinguished road To The Dark Tower Came's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    But, don't the Wolves add to the lovely atmosphere?
    LoL...Calla Bryn Sturgis, come for the festival under the pavilion, stay for the kidnappings.

My take is that the people of the Callas were just normal farm-folken, and like people who live under dictators, or other oppressive regimes, they came to think they couldn't do anything...that's just the way it was. I felt sorry for them, not pity, just that they carried on with life and had to under such circumstances.
    "...quiet as despair, I turn’d from him..."

Posts made by user To The Dark Tower Came
    are his opinion. Any feelings of anger, angst,
    or weltsmertz please see a licensed mental
    health professional immediately.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

The Manni struck me as being quite arrogant, almost pompous and self important, looking down on other people. I think that's why I didn't like them, as people at least. As characters I found them fascinating.

The Calla folk where a blend of personalities and very believable. The women of the Calla generally struck me as more feisty than the men.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Calla folk were just frightened and the Wolves must have seemed invincible to them. None of them were gunslingers but the women did kick ass though. I liked the sisters of Oriza bit and throwing the plate. That's pretty cool.

They were much like the folk in Mejis - all easily convinced to either do something or not . That said I don't meant to criticise them too harshly.

Ste letto - I agree about the Manni - pretty annoying really and not a massvie amount of help.

I have wondered why the Calla Folk always have twins I dont remember this being explained.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

>I have wondered why the Calla Folk always have twins I dont remember this being explained.

I did too, and I wondered about that too. I actually think that might have been some machination of the Crimson King. Maybe they put something in the water supply or did some magic or genetic engineering in the old days.

The Callas remind me of that warren in Watership Down. If you've read the Shining Wire chapter in Watership Down I think you'll get what I mean. (Actually in the last Dark Tower novel
    Spoiler:
    they used the 'Shining Wire' concept too, but in a different way.
    )

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

On the twins: I assumed it was a genetic fluke brought about by some radioactive catastrophe. Like the one that made the mutants.

I never thought the Manni were pompous and arrogant, and they did agree to open the door after all. I imagined them more like the Amish or Quakers with reality-traveling powers. They definitely set themselves apart from the others, but I don't remember them preaching to anyone about their religion (at least without being asked).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2