Quote Originally Posted by zadok View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm not sure I'm getting my point across.

On Roland's level of the Tower, computers could have been developed in say...Roman times for us.

There is 0 reason to believe that their technology ran the same course as ours
I do understand your point, Matt. But why would you say 0 reason? What about David Tassenbaum on Keystone Earth? Isn't that telling us that in the "internet age" is the "beginning of the end" for our civilization? That we, in 2008 are in fact the Great Old Ones?
Why was JFK repeadedly referred to as "the last gunslinger"? Seems to me that SK is saying he was the last of the White until the rise of Arthur Eld thousands of years later. Didn't Walter's talk with Roland tie in the golden age of the Great Old Ones with our society today?

Am I completely nuts thinking this???
I'm with you to an extent. Because King places real people and events within his narrative, it sort of leads you to make literal connections and references. (I think this is generally a bad idea as I have said repeatedly in the "King's appearance in SoS thread"). That being said, It doesn't really make sense literally, and has been noted, such an interpretation leads to many various and sundry inconsistencies within the books. I am of the persuasion that feels that King is making very definitive statements about the dangers of technology and where such advancements might lead, but it remains futile to construct some kind of time line. The great old ones have been an enigma to me in certain aspects for almost fifteen years.