Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
Too late for a trial balloon now, but.. any particular reason why you did segments of 5 years instead of just doing the entire decade at once?
Yeah, I posted about that a while back when this idea first came up:

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
Also, I think it would be best to divide songs into five-year groups. I think it's natural that songs from the first part of a decade always sound different from songs in the other half of the decade. This would give us 14 main groups (and we wouldn't be stuck with the 1940s and the 2010s having five less years to pick from than the rest of the groups). So all we would need is just a whole bunch of nominations (not just the popular stuff, but various deep cuts and good things like that), not quite sure yet how many exactly - but doesn't really matter, the more the merrier. And after several rounds we will end up with the 14 best songs of the last 70 years, each one representing one five-year period from 1945 to 2015. That would be amazing!
Basically, I felt it would be better to keep music from a certain period of time together, because music from the beginning of a decade is always different from music from the end of a decade. It seems to me that there do appear to be more or less five-year periods in popular music that always come and go. Some types of music seem to bubble up and enjoy great prominence and then mainly go away, music like surf, disco, grunge, for example. In recent years it's dubstep that appeared in the mainstream around 2010-11 and probably is now past its peak, with the EDM movement going toward the so-called big-room house nowadays.

And the fact that the 2010s and the 1940s would only encompass five years, making it uneven and unfair. My hope is that this is successful and we can later do other five-year periods, going back in time, as well as the 2015-2019 period, when the time comes