Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
I
Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
It's certainly up to us all to cover the costs IN SOME WAY
Is it, really? I've always wondered about that. There are probably many ways to look at it and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. So please educate me.

The website has an owner who will one day sell his ownership at a price. It is up to the owner to build up his investment so that when the day comes to sell he will reap the maximum profit. He does this by building up traffic on the website. Larger traffic on the website makes for a more profitable sale. The lowly members (i.e. me and you) will not see any of this profit. Should we then (as non-owners) be expected to contribute to the day to day expenses of running the site? Shouldn't that really be a business expense footed by the owner to be (hopefully) recouped when the site is sold?

Again, I'll state that I have no knowledge of web commerce or how anything like this really works. So please enlighten me. All I know is that there is an owner and it isn't me.

Are .org sites under different rules than .com sites?
I would think that was a valid argument IF the site was making money (IE through advertising) right now the value of the site through traffic is only relevant if those clicks generated advertising revenue. Sure it could be sold on the basis of visitors and that may be attractive to a buyer thinking of adding adverts, but how many would stick around if the site was suddenly full of advertising. RF raises funds MAINLY to keep the site ad free.