Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
Well, that implies there's something else which he needs to do differently this time in order to qualify for the opportunity to do that differently. But what's the point in that if what he does differently this time is something that he'll never get to again because he has to die first?

Isn't it just as likely that he should change something even further back in his past so that he can avoid Tull altogether?

And if Roland does die and go to heaven somewhere on the road, what happens to the rest of the multiverse? Would someone else have to take his place? Or does the fate of Mid-World not really matter?
As to the fate of Mid-World, I don't think it matters. All the events in the universe, the Dark Tower's saving, etc are all reversed by Gan simply to teach Roland something. It seems that, to Gan, whatever Roland must learn is more important than any world. I have a tendency to agree with the above post, in that I don't think Roland was meant to breach the tower, but to save it. There are many times when Roland's life as a gunslinger is referred to one of death, and I don't think he can ever be expected to reach salvation until he embraces life over death. That's why I believe the rose is such a prominent figure, as a flower in bloom represents new life and can be seen as an anti-symbol of death. In my opinion, this change requires him to make multiple small and large decisions (such as picking of the horn and not letting Jake fall) that may go against all of his teaching as a gunslinger, but allow him to embrace his humanity.
IMO Roland is humanities representative in the quest for the tower. His growth and evolution are representative of humanities, growth and evolution. So, as the "world" goes, so goes, Roland and his quest, so to speak. He is a symbol/characterization for humanity, IMHO