Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The books you could never finish somehow...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonabike View Post

I never finished Dune
    <...>
    I had a similar experience with Asimov's Foundation.
    <...>
    I stalled on Interview with the Vampire and couldn't finish it.
    <...>
    are we Twinners???

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam Fishonabike is on a distinguished road Fishonabike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishonabike View Post

I never finished Dune
    <...>
    I had a similar experience with Asimov's Foundation.
    <...>
    I stalled on Interview with the Vampire and couldn't finish it.
    <...>
    are we Twinners???
    That or we've been assimilated.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked both The Dark Half and Gerald's Game.
    Any chance you could spoil everything
    Spoiler:
    Past when Thad goes to his office to look through his files...about half way through
    I can't be more specific.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia...it just never could get a firm grasp on my attention. I finally put it down for good about a 3rd of the way through. I thought I could bulldoze my through it for the sake of getting to the end like I did with the last 3 DT books but no dice.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

:X:

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Insomnia...it just never could get a firm grasp on my attention. I finally put it down for good about a 3rd of the way through. I thought I could bulldoze my through it for the sake of getting to the end like I did with the last 3 DT books but no dice.
    *Empties an entire magazine of a Tommy gun into Cozener's stomach for this opinion and puts out his cigar butt on his forehead* *tsssss*
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well done, AllHail.

::applause::

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm an Insomnia fan too

I'm finding "A Rage In Harlem" quite boring too...if it was any longer I probably wouldn't bother - but I think I can finish it by this afternoon, so I'll persevere.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Collection. I got the ending spoiled to me accidently on this site, and since then I haven't even bothered to pick up last book even though I was almost done.

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Needful things by Sai King
    and THE WAR OF THE END OF THE WORLD
    by Vargas Llosa
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia by SK. I was inturupted about 3/4 of the way through when I started reading Pet Cemetery. I sort of forgot all about Insomnia, and now of course I am reading the DT series. I will finish it eventually.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I never finished Lisey's Story yet...

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I never finished the Lord of the Flies. *hides behind a tree*
    Nikolett, I adore you. This is one of the books I hate with all my heart.
    This is usually taught in junior high here, but somehow I missed that. I started trying to read it approximately 3 years ago. I'm only about 1/2 done, and I can't seem to bring myself to pick it up again. Yet.*

*I will finish it one day, but only because I, too, am one of those driven to finish a book.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

It's a rare thing when I can't finish a book I start.... But it's been known to happen.

Books I've started but haven't finished: Lord of the Flies, The Mists of Avalon (though I'm sure that can and will change at some point, in both cases), and Ben-Hur (which I'm less confident about, though I want to like that too).

Odd thing is, I've seen the movies of all of those, and enjoyed them.... What the hey?

EDIT: And where did that "John F. Kennedy" under my name come from...? Not that I'm complaining--JFK was my favorite president, just curious.

Gunslinger Apprentice Shelbs is on a distinguished road Shelbs's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The books that I've never finished: Needful Things and Gerald's Game. I doubt I'll pick them up again any time soon since I just got my new books in.

The one book that I do have to give a shout out to is Lisey's Story. Man, I couldn't get into that book at first, put it down two or three times and finally just took the plunge and raced through to the end. I'm so glad I did - it's a really good book, in my top five for SK.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i found lord of the flies really good...

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

New one:
    The world according to Garp,
    John Irving
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

"Call me Ishmael"--Moby Dick. And I was an English major in college! That book is terrible!

John

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    "Call me Ishmael"--Moby Dick. And I was an English major in college! That book is terrible!

John
    What's the problem with it?

Roland would have understood.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's terribly written, and the story (about one man's obsession with a white whale) isn't that good either. Yet it's considered by many to be a "classic". One section of the book goes on for 60+ pages discussing whale blubber! Yech!!

John

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I have never touched that book but one day I will read it because there are two types of people - who love it and who can't stand it.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

I am one of those who love it........

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Why?

John

Country
    Country Flag

don't know. To answer the question I think I'll have to re-read it (which I'll do with pleasure as soon as I can get it). I read it about fifteen years ago, was absolutely engrossed even though I had, of course, known what it was about. I still remember it very well, but not the text, - rather, like one remembers a very vivid dream; as Mr.King put it, there definitely was that hole in the middle of the page that made me feel I was there.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have personally made it my police NEVER to read that book.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

hm
    hm

I have a hunch that you might like it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast