First off, I think "programming" was just Andy's favourite excuse; he had his personal motives. He despised the Calla folk after being used, misused and mistreated by them for over 2000(!) years. I do feel sympathy for him, everyone saw him as annoying and a mere tool, while he was as capable of feelings as a human being. After 2000 years of being looked down upon and treated like a slave by those humans who could barely even count, it is only too understandable that he had started to hate them. So yeah.. he enjoyed spreading misery with the bad news.

I felt the end of Andy was a tragedy.

That said, there is also the question why he was informed about it by the wolves in the first place. It was not merely Andy's own decision; the wolves apparently wanted Andy to warn the citizens in advance. Andy regularly parlayed with (the leaders of) the wolves in the Dogan, after all. And their motives are beautifully captured by Jean, in my opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
I think it's because no inhuman ruling wants to pose as such. Be it fascism or communism, or any other dragon demanding human sacrifices, the ideology never says, "we're tyrants, we'll rape and rob you daily because such is our desire." Everything is done for some good aim, and it is always emphasised that no excessive cruelty is ever imposed. Children are brought back, after all. We don't want anything that doesn't belong to us. We have used the kids for the sake of the Greater Good you're all unable to understand, and now here they are, you can have them, we're no robbers.

The warning gag is even more perverted... it's to make everyone feel that nothing happens by anyone's whim, but in accordance with elaborate procedure; and procedure is enough to create appearance of something useful being done. Remember how meticulously the nazi kept their accounts of all shoes, hair, golden teeth? How much paperwork communist regimes produced? It's the same. Bureaucracy is the shield between the horrible shameless reality of a power and the victims of that power.