Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 890 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 128 178 578 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 22247

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    Here is an Ebay auction for those of you dying to get a McVey remarque, and at a great price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Billy-Blockade-1..._Fiction_Books

Here is the pic, very similar to mine, mine is a bit better but not by much.

No offense to Mr. McVey, but I agree. That one looks like he didn't try. It's mediocre at best, imo. I say this because I like his art and agree he's much better than this.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow...I can see why you were disappointed, oy. That is definitely on doodle level, not remarque (I disagree that doodle/remarque are synonyms).

If that's the best the artist could do, how did he manage to do illustrations for the book?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing, Dave!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I think that's a slight step above the Geyer sketches I've seen...but at three times the price, so...

I'm not impressed, but I don't think it's a total ripoff either.

However, for the $95 it should be unique...if all the other sketches are essentially the same thing, then that's not cool...he should do something different for the money.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    a Remarque in definition is a doodle,
    Could you quote your source for this definition? I've hesitated to use the term when referring to little drawings done in books. The term "remarque" is limited to lithographs according to Webster's. I've always thought it was misused by most on this site.
    Here's some examples:

http://www.toddlockwood.com/prints/#remarque

http://www.philaprintshop.com/diction.html#Remarque

http://www.answers.com/topic/remarque-2

http://www.stevejanderson.com/faq.html

http://www.terryisaacsart.com/isaac/Remarque/go

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/...R/Remarque.htm

Basically, they started off as little sketches to test the strength of the print in book publishing, and then people realized they might be worth something. Above are some examples used in book printing, artwork, and in books. They all tend to use the word "little". Hence the idea that remarques are little doodles or sketches and not full page illustrations.

But, as you can see from my examples, one can interpret remarque any way one chooses, really. But myself I tend to shy away from saying full page sketches are remarques, and refer to them as sketches and describe them as full page, half-page, etc.. But that's just me.
    Geoff

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Here is an Ebay auction for those of you dying to get a McVey remarque, and at a great price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Billy-Blockade-1..._Fiction_Books

Here is the pic, very similar to mine, mine is a bit better but not by much.

No offense to Mr. McVey, but I agree. That one looks like he didn't try. It's mediocre at best, imo. I say this because I like his art and agree he's much better than this.
    I'm with Brice, it does look like he didn't even try. McVey can do a lot better than that.
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links. With the exception of the first link (Todd Lockwood) all of the other definitions of the word remarque refer solely to art prints or lithographs. Not books. And all the dictionaries in my house define the word in terms of art printing.

I'm pretty notorious around my office as being the "grammar policeman." I've always felt words should be used properly if they are going to be used. And, while I realize that languages are constantly evolving, new words are constantly being added, etc., some consideration to proper definition and usage should be given.

You can call an apple an orange but that doesn't make it one. Even if you convince everyone on your block to call apples oranges once you travel to the next block and call an apple an orange you will get some pretty strange looks.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In fairness, I think its really hard to judge these things in any kind of a general way. Its Art and Art is a very, very gray area. You have to remember that ANYTHING an artist sketches or signs is to him/her their stock and trade. Their livelihood. Therefore, the only pricing guide you have is really what the market is willing to bear. As with the author, what may sell now for $25 may be worth $100 in ten years based upon many varying factors. Did the Artist die, did he go on to become more popular, etc etc. Remember, one man's ART is another man's GARBAGE.

I guess what I'm saying is that it comes down to each individual buyers opinion and willingness to pay. Beyond that it is not fair to try to evaluate what is a fair drawing for whatever price for a line of work. It's more or less like the increase in value assigned to a book without the authors signature, and one with it.

By the way, for what its worth, I think that BB "doodle" is pretty damn cool. I may look to get one in the future.

Edit: I have to be fair also and say that CD offering refunds if you don't like them is pretty darn good of them. Now if we could only get them delivering on schedule they could be a great little publisher!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

John F. Kennedy ibeforej is on a distinguished road ibeforej's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Another SOD II update!!!

Big Shipping & Production Update From Cemetery Dance!
    New releases this fall from Stephen King, Peter Straub, Justin Cronin, William Peter Blatty, and many others, including a few big surprises!

Hi Folks!

Today we have some updates about our late summer and early fall publication/shipping schedule. These are just a few of the most asked about books we're publishing or have sold for other publishers, and there are a lot more titles that you'll see shipping before the year is over. This is easily going to be one of our most productive years since we opened for business in 1988!

The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two) by Stephen King
    The book is rolling at the printer and they currently expect to be shipping the book to our warehouse by the end of September, so we're planning on an October publication date.

We're also working with our slipcase and traycase manufacturer to keep everything moving smoothly on their end. They have received the "dummy book" from the printer and they're confirming the sizing and the material order this week. Their production time from when they finish this pre-production process is approximately six weeks.

(A dummy book is basically a blank test book that is sized exactly like the real book so the slipcase/traycase maker can be very precise in their specs while getting a head start on production. Without a dummy book, you actually have to wait for the real books to be completely printed before you can start on the slipcases and traycases.)

Due to the publicity from Blockade Billy by Stephen King, we now have THOUSANDS of "purchase orders" from the big booksellers and distributors for The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two). If we wanted to, we could declare it Out of Print today... but we're going to fill ALL direct customer orders BEFORE we consider shipping to anyone else, and the odds are good we won't be filling any of those purchase orders, so if you want to guarantee yourself a copy, place your order today!

Riding the Bullet by Stephen King and Mick Garris -- Update From Lonely Road Books
    "The book is rolling at the printer and they've given us a tentative shipping date of late September, but that is dependent on everything running smoothly on their end. Also, please remember that we need to get slipcases and traycases made before we can ship the books to you, but we're already working with our manufacturer on the design of those and they don't have to wait for a finished book to get started on production because the printer is able to make a 'dummy book' to give them exact sizing. We'll keep you updated as we have news, but we expect this title to ship in October."
    We still have some copies of the Slipcased Collector's Gift Edition of Riding the Bullet available for preorder on our site, but as with The Secretary of Dreams (Volume Two), there are already MORE purchase orders for the book than the tiny print run, which will NOT be changing. If you want a copy, you need to order direct to guarantee you don't miss out!

Blockade Billy by Stephen King -- Update From Lonely Road Books
    "We've received the original artwork page for the Lettered Edition and the printer has now started all of the pre-press work for both editions, including ordering the special paper stock, the leather for the Limited Edition, and the Japanese book cloth and another leather for the Lettered Edition. We should have more information about their production schedule soon.

We're still waiting to find out if we can have a 'dummy book' made to give our traycase manufacturer exact sizing for the cases. That might not be possible due to some of the special materials we're using, and it will be a major factor in the publication date, so we'll let you know as soon as we have a firm date from everyone involved."

The Passage by Justin Cronin
    We're making great progress on our deluxe special edition of this fantastic book. Our cover designer has turned in the final dustjacket design of Tomislav Tikulin's beautiful cover artwork, which you can view on the product page.

We've also received the interior artwork from Jill Bauman and the book is undergoing one last proofread now. Our thanks go out to everyone who emailed us about the printing problems with the trade edition. We've confirmed our files don't have that issue.

The signature sheets are waiting at the author's home for when he can sign them. He's probably having the busiest summer of his life right now promoting the book, but we hope he'll have a free afternoon soon. We'll let you know when those sheets are safely back in our hands!

The Exorcist and Legion Special Edition by William Peter Blatty
    This beautiful special edition is now at the printer and will be published before the end of the year.

Johnny Halloween: Tales of the Dark Season by Norman Partridge
    This title is now at the printer and will be published in October.

Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub
    This title is now at the printer and will be published in October.

The Girl on the Glider by Brian Keene
    This title is now at the printer and will be published this fall, along with Death Hunt on Ervoon by Ray Garton.

Just a few of the unannounced books that are rolling at the printer right now include titles by Christopher Golden, TM Wright, Thomas Tessier, Edward Lee, and an incredible novella collection featuring Brian Keene, Tim Lebbon, Steve Vernon, and Tim Curran. Details about these books will be announced when they are closer to their publication dates, but some of these are going to sell out very quickly!

And these are just the first of the surprises we have lined up for the fall and winter, and some of the announcements we have in the works are really going to blow away our collectors! As always, thanks for your continuing support!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    ... By the way, for what its worth, I think that BB "doodle" is pretty damn cool. I may look to get one in the future. ...
    I agree that it is a neat doodle, just not worth $95.

Here is a question related to this discussion:

What percentage of the premium does a publisher keep and what percentage goes to the artist?

While one would hope the artist would keep in mind what the customer is paying, he (or she) may be more influenced by how much the artist is paid.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    ... By the way, for what its worth, I think that BB "doodle" is pretty damn cool. I may look to get one in the future. ...

What percentage of the premium does a publisher keep and what percentage goes to the artist?

While one would hope the artist would keep in mind what the customer is paying, he (or she) may be more influenced by how much the artist is paid.
    Which is why I would much prefer to purchase remarqued materials directly from the artist. If I pay a middle man (meaning the publisher) $150 for a remarqued book with the book costing $100, that means I have paid $50 for the remarque. What if I pay the artist the entire $50 (assuming the publisher gets a cut of the $50 extra the remarque costs)? Will I get a better remarque? Maybe, maybe not, but I know for certain that the artist will be getting all of the money I'm willing to pay for it and supporting said artist actually does mean something to me.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Which is why I would much prefer to purchase remarqued materials directly from the artist. If I pay a middle man (meaning the publisher) $150 for a remarqued book with the book costing $100, that means I have paid $50 for the remarque. What if I pay the artist the entire $50 (assuming the publisher gets a cut of the $50 extra the remarque costs)? Will I get a better remarque? Maybe, maybe not, but I know for certain that the artist will be getting all of the money I'm willing to pay for it and supporting said artist actually does mean something to me.
    Problem is "Said Artist: is usaually not well known and is trying to get that way by Illustrating Author works ( and pay the rent). It's really hard to put a "fixed: price on this stuff.

I speak with some experience having purchased a lot of "Art" in my collection. Its all a matter of what you like and what you are willing to pay. If you're buying as an investment. Get outta this market!!!! LOL

Edit: As far as the breakdown of commissions, it shouldn't really matter. This stuff is not done for the "Joe the Plumber" collector, but tailored for the high end one. Sorry if that seems untoward, but its a reality. All collectible art is. I have an Artist Proof of "Sympathy for the Devil" done by Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. The gallery says its worth $20,000, but I had an offer recently for 16K and said no. So whats the worth?

Buy what you like and you will generally be surprised at the rise in value. Try to buy this stuff as an investment? You will probably be disappointed.

My three beans, for what its worth. Unless of course you are trying to get the "Mona Lisa" LOL LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Mindy has responded to my partial refund request and will give me a 50% refund or a 75.00 credit, I am happy with that result.

Ralph did your "remarque" look similar to the one from the auction I posted?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Mindy has responded to my partial refund request and will give me a 50% refund or a 75.00 credit, I am happy with that result.

Ralph did your "remarque" look similar to the one from the auction I posted?
    Yes, almost IDENTICAL but the one on Ebay had a signature (Alex forgot to sign my copy). If it wasn't for the missing signature I would have worked out something similar with Mindy (who by the way has been a professional stand up person over this).

Apparently Alex has been difficult to deal with since they asked him to redo the remarques. I can't imagine what the first set looked like if this was the best he could do.

I don't think this young man understands the true opportunity that CD gave him with the whole BB project. All of a sudden everyone was looking up information to see who this guy is including me.

One thing for sure, I think he will look back on this project and say oh crap. Where did everyone go? Maybe I should have taken better care of my clients. Back to being a starving artist Alex.

On a side note: I'm not that disappointed for having to send the book back, I have one of the BB originals by Alex on the way to me. I hope it's signed

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good luck, Ralph.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Not signed by king, so I'm not interested.

Next week we'll be sending SHIVERS 6 to the printer and it contains a surprise contribution: THE CRATE by Stephen King, his long lost NOVELLA written in the late 1970s that hasn't seen print in over 30 years and has never been in one of his collections!
    This is classic, old fashioned Stephen King and 99.9% of his fans don't even know this novella exists... but later this year it'll be readily available to ALL readers for the first-time ever in SHIVERS 6, which will be published as an affordable trade paperback!
    The reason we're emailing you today, though, is because SHIVERS 6 will also published as a Limited Edition Hardcover and a Deluxe Traycased Lettered Edition Hardcover. These two very limited editions will be signed by the editor and we think they're going to sell out FAST because of the high demand for Limited Editions featuring King's work. (We've seen it first-hand many times over the years!)
    To thank you for your past support, we wanted to give you first shot at ordering any or all of the three editions of SHIVERS 6 before the general public since many of our recent Limited Editions have sold out within hours or days of being announced.
    We're officially announcing SHIVERS 6 to our mailing list of 33,000 collectors tomorrow, so if you want one of the Special Limited Edition copies, don't wait around!
    Here is your SECRET link to place your order while supplies last:
    http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/chizmar15
    Thank you for your support of Cemetery Dance Publications!

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

nope,me neither.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent's Avatar

I have a story in Shivers 6, too.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered one of the HC ed.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I have a story in Shivers 6, too.
    Very cool Bev!

I ordered a hardcover.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered a trade paperback and a hardcover. The Crate has been one of my more favorite stories. It has been reprinted a number of times, though not in any of King's collections, as CD said. I'm glad Bev has a story in it.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Is this picture from a PAST issue from the CD mag, or is it an upcomming one?
    (and therefore, means that the extract will be from FULL DARK, NO STARS ?

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/x_bb071610 (via their newsletter)

They have this on the web site now and it is an excerpt from Blockade Billy. Just a little behind schedule....

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone that has one of the UTD slipcases tel me how/where the box of cards get stored. I have seen the photos but do not see where the cards are kept. Were there two separate slipcases, one for the trade edition an done for the collectors edition?

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I ordered one of the HC ed.
    So did I!

sk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 890 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 88 128 178 578 ... LastLast