Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: High Speech... what is it?

Threaded View

Traveler nearlyprescient is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I'm double posting, but it appears that my well constructed, somewhat lengthy post got lost somewhere in transmission.
    but, my point was that Susan's Aunt uses 'thee' and 'thou' and such, even going so far as to suggest at one point that she's entitled to use those sorts of words for some reason. the reason escapes me, but it suggests that there might be an 'Olde Low Speech' equivalent to what people have been describing as 'Olde English.'
    my point is that it might be more relevant to equate High Speech with that Anglo-Saxon language that Beowulf was written in.
    An English Lit. teacher, during our Beowulf unit, brought in examples of a phrase that was written three times on a sheet; once in Anglo-Saxon, once in Shakespeare or Chaucer's 'Olde English', and finally in a modern, 2008-2009 English.
    the difference was noticeable, but most of us students were capable of puzzling through the phrase in Anglo-Saxon. It was foreign and yet familiar at the same time, which is sort of how High Speech/English are compared in the story.
    I seem to remember my teacher suggesting that a lot of profanity came directly from Anglo-Saxon as the evolution of languages had Anglo-Saxon at one point as a low language. she said that a number of words came almost directly, but the majority of those such words were what would be considered vulgar in modern days.

Yup. Two posts. Sorry. I'm not sure why the first one wasn't showing up for me. I guess this one should be removed, but I feel like I explained the Anglo-Saxon thing better here.
    Last edited by nearlyprescient; 04-21-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: double post