Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
I mean, what you're trying to say is - you can read something extra into everything. And what I'm saying is - that may be, but there isn't always any need to do so.
And I reply, please Darkthoughts, please let me (and others) speculate to our hearts content about symbology, metaphors, the magic of words and their multiple connotations. The magic that is King is just that, magic, because one can read multiple connotations in the product. No, we don't need to do that, and the product is probably better if the artist wasn't trying to create some long drawn out allegory, and maybe along the lines of what Jean is saying...I think...and mayhap King himself...something along the lines of him not having any control over it...that's wrong, he does have control.

Sorry, I lost my train of thought there...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post

Do you see my point? You're suggesting that I'm shallow or near sighted for not wanting to read meaning into every little detail, but I'm saying that somethings can quite rightfully be appreciated for simply being/appearing to be what they are, even though I am fully aware of the details.
Certainly, Darkthoughts. I got your point the first time you made it. I apologize for not acknowledging that I got your point...I realize at times I come across as a real numbskull but give me a little credit.

I got your point back around the time I wrote something about not having a dog in this fight. All I wanted to do was to talk about the possibilities and the multiple connotations available--that's what makes King stories appealing to me. Sure, first time through, I read for the pure enjoyment of the story. They're great stories. Cry yer pardon, and all who read this, if I happen to be that way. Gawd no I'm not suggesting you're shallow, or near-sighted for not wanting to read meaning into every little detail--I don't read meaning into every little detail.

What was this thread about? Oh yeah, the children. I imagine the powers that be know what they're doing and can finesse the thread or work their magic.

What I do object to, however, is someone telling me I'm reading something into every little detail or suggesting that talking about it confuses the issue, when they've used the same language to talk about some detail...ubermensch...yeah, but everyone knows that and all the connotations of that...King used the word uberstory in the Coda section of SOS...and I like how he says he repudiates something...Dis...or something...

So, anyway, for not having a dog in this fight--that the children of the callaa could or couldn't be read as a metaphor for something--I haven't made that argument, nor have I stated it as fact--anyway, the dog fights, for what their worth, we'd sure covered all the bases...or not...shrug...dunno.

Spit if you want to know.