Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which movie makes it to the Final?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Princess Bride

14 48.28%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

15 51.72%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BMOAT - Semi Finals, Thread 1

Hybrid View

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    As good as it was, how can a fairy tale with Fire Swamps compare to Yoda raising the sunken X-Wing like a metal Lazarus from it's swampy grave. Empire all the way.
    Of course, one could just as easily say about Empire...

As good as it was, how can a fairy tale with Ice Planets compare to Inigo Montoya finally catching up with his father's killer and exacting his lifelong dream of revenge. Princess Bride all the way.

I'd put the goosebumps I get when Inigo finally catches up with Count Rugen up against those created by Yoda on Dagobah any day of the week. I suppose it ultimately comes down to whether you prefer fantasy stories set in a medieval setting or a futuristic setting.

Besides, with Princess Bride we are talking about one of the most quotable movies of all time. As good as Empire was, I don't exactly hear it being quote nearly as often or with the number of quotable lines as its competition. Empire is the best of the Star Wars films by far (it's the only one I like) but that's as far as I'm willing to go with it.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

The King: What was that for?
    Buttercup: Because you have always been so kind to me, and I won't be seeing you again since I'm killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite.
    The King: Won't that be nice. She kissed me.

Fezzik: I just don't think it's right, killing an innocent girl.
    Vizzini: Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Besides, with Princess Bride we are talking about one of the most quotable movies of all time. As good as Empire was, I don't exactly hear it being quote nearly as often or with the number of quotable lines as its competition. Empire is the best of the Star Wars films by far (it's the only one I like) but that's as far as I'm willing to go with it.
    I own a poster that says "Everything I need to know, I learned from watching Star Wars..." and it goes through it's list. I have yet to see one of those for The Princess Bride. As for quotable, my man, there are many quotes from Empire.

"No dissintigrations." Vader to Boba Fett "As you wish." Fett back to Vader
    "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda to Luke
    "I love you." Leia to Han. "I know." Han back to Leia
    "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship. " Yoda to Luke
    "Adventure, hah, excitement, hah. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless." Yoda
    "I'd just as soon kiss a wookie." Leia to Han.
    "Wars not make one great." Yoda

And many, many more. My point being that while you may not hear it being quoted, at my last job I heard it quoted at least once a week. Empire Strikes Back, more than either of the other two Original Star Wars Trilogy films, shaped my life along with many others. The Princess Bride, not so much. While TPB really was a great film, it was nothing close to the icon that The Empire Strikes Back was and still is. It is the greatest of the Star Wars films and is the origin of Yoda's "Do or do not. There is no try." That quote alone has shaped many a young mind and created a pitbull like attitude that lives to this day in many of the younglings who watched that little green Jedi Master on the big screen in the theater and the little screen at home. "As you wish" simply created a lot of adults ready to do whatever they were told.
    Relentless Jedi Knights with lightsabers vs. Swashbuckling but easily influenced adults with a metal rapier. Who shall win?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I love debating you Sam. You always make a worthy adversary.

+ Reply to Thread