Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Worst King on the Screen--Nominations Closed

Hybrid View

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with Brice. I do not compare the cinematic versions to the books more than casually. I watch the movie versions and base my judgement on their merit alone. Some are OK, some Good, some Great. I don't understand why some people seem to make it a mission in life to bash every adaptation that doesn't strictly follow the book. I do not know of a single movie that totally follows the written word it's based on. Just not possible IMHO of course. :-)

So no vote for me! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

For me it's not a matter of how strictly they follow the source material. I love Kubrick's The Shining though it differs greatly from King's. Coversely, I am one of a very small group of people who didn't care for the movie version of The Green Mile which didn't differ from the book in any perceptible way.

In my analytical model it's not a matter of how closely an adaptation mirrors the source material but how effectively it uses the crux of the source material. What I'm saying is that I judge them in part on their own merits, and in part on their effectiveness as adaptations. I think that's perfectly fair.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I'm with Brice. I do not compare the cinematic versions to the books more than casually. I watch the movie versions and base my judgement on their merit alone. Some are OK, some Good, some Great. I don't understand why some people seem to make it a mission in life to bash every adaptation that doesn't strictly follow the book. I do not know of a single movie that totally follows the written word it's based on. Just not possible IMHO of course. :-)

So no vote for me! :-)
    The Langoliers follows the book nearly word for word.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, is Hearts In Atlantis IMO. While it followed the basic premise of the book, the title of the movie made no sense to the average non-SK fan since it actually came from the second story in the book.

Spoiler:
    Plus they completely took out all the DT-related stuff so you never really knew exactly who the the men in the yellow coats were or why they were chasing after Ted. I can kinda understand why they did it that way, but I don't like it. I don't like the fact that they were basically humans either.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Spoiler:
    Plus they completely took out all the DT-related stuff so you never really knew exactly who the the men in the yellow coats were or why they were chasing after Ted. I can kinda understand why they did it that way, but I don't like it. I don't like the fact that they were basically humans either.
    As far as this goes....

Spoiler:
    Apparently they just used Stephen King's original idea for them--FBI agents using psychics to root out Communists--before he changed it and had the DT-related stuff.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Spoiler:
    As far as this goes....

Spoiler:
    Apparently they just used Stephen King's original idea for them--FBI agents using psychics to root out Communists--before he changed it and had the DT-related stuff.
    Never knew about that...