Page 18 of 714 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 518 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Bats are great. They eat mosquitoes.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    1. Speaking of children's books. I'm currently reading Charlotte's Web. The last time I read tha one I was a child. So far, it is as good as I remember.

2. I actually gave up on my previous book as it is HORRIBLE.
    1. I like it, too! It was one of the first books I ever read in English.

2. What was it? ::bearcurious::
    Jean, it was a book called Excalibur. I mentioned it on the previous page, I believe. My wife bought it for like a dime in a thrift store a few years back. I picked it off the bookcase and read good reviews about it online. It didn't live up to any hype. Not good fantasy, imo.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Ok, you have to spill - I get wasted and act like an ass, you get wasted and are...compelled to kill bats?
    I'm pretty wasted right now, and i'm kind of in the mood for singing Pepe Aguilar read loud....tht andt a bit of the old ultra-violence

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I a dying breed of passive drunk?

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

jean, have you read the master and margarita by mikhail bulgakov?

i'm quite interested in reading it, and am trying to find a copy. everything i've heard, though, is that the english translations are poor. this disappoints me, since i don't speak russian.

anyway...have you read it? if so, is it worth my time?

:eta: currently reading a nameless witch, by a. lee martinez. i just finished his gil's all fright diner, which was amusing.
    Last edited by sarajean; 08-12-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: to answer the question posed in the thread topic

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King
    This is the first time I am reading this one.

Along the Path of the Beam 19thNrvsbrkdwn is on a distinguished road 19thNrvsbrkdwn's Avatar

I am about 100 pages from the end of HPtDH. My daughter buys the HP books reads em first then gives them to me as I did with her with the DT series.

Before that was a non-fiction,"The Devil in Connecticut", very bizarre!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    jean, have you read the master and margarita by mikhail bulgakov?

i'm quite interested in reading it, and am trying to find a copy. everything i've heard, though, is that the english translations are poor. this disappoints me, since i don't speak russian.

anyway...have you read it? if so, is it worth my time?
    I read it maybe twenty times. You see, it was one of those books in Soviet Russia: not quite forbidden, but not quite recommended; almost never published, thus a rarity; frowned at by authorities and dealing with religion and mystic and philosophy, thus a must for any "thinking person", so very unorthodox... not having read M&M was the same as farting in public; anybody who claimed to have any brain had to read it, or better know it by heart. It is hardly possible to explain what books were to us... I might post some memoirs in Turtleback one day to make it clearer.

In short, when I first read it at the age of ten, it was great, amazing, terrific; and continued to be so till I was about 25. Then the philosophical/religious part suddenly started sounding shallow, and all that remained were things that I am afraid are hardly possible to translate - the satiric part, the language and the humor. I still appreciate them, but I am afraid they will be lost in translation (sorry for evoking the best soporific movie of late)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am focusing on Blaze now.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

I had no idea Gaiman wrote that! I'll have to check it out.

I started reading the Nightwatch Trilogy. It's already much better than the movie (more understandable, too). the movie was pretty cool, though. Russian horror vampire action coolness.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to read the nightwatch books too. The second movie is due sometime next year... daywatch?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The movie was cool. I may have to go read the book now.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad you all liked it. I am personally acquainted with the director, through a student of mine who used to work with him; I'll tell him his movie is liked by the best minds all around the globe.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I thought of you today as I picked up a really lovely illustrated copy of The Three Musketeers

Just finished rereading Stardust and will now probably embark on a reread of Deathly Hallows (now my Dad's returned it that is!! )

After that I'll be reading The Colorado Kid and then Heart Shaped Box.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i finished a nameless witch last night, and am back to re-reading all of the harry potter books. currently on goblet of fire.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Jean, I thought of you today as I picked up a really lovely illustrated copy of The Three Musketeers
    ::happy flattered bear::

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

DBF has a REALLY nice illustrated Arabian Nights. Remind me to tell you about the bathroom remodel and why certain salespeople never make any $$$ lol.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    DBF has a REALLY nice illustrated Arabian Nights.
    I'd love to see that! Who illustrated it? I have an illustrated Mabinogion, Alan Lee, who did the illustrated Hobbit and LotR did it - its pretty stunning.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know - I'll have to see if I can find out which of his many bookshelves it's on.

Gunslinger Apprentice kithereal is on a distinguished road kithereal's Avatar

I am reading Monster by Frank Perretti
    it is scary

( I just read Telegraph days BY Larry Mcmurtry.... It is the only book of his I have read so far....I did not like it ....would this be unusual for a McMurtrey book ?....I have heard many glowing things about him......)kit

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm very disappointed in my public library. I went searching for several Neil Gaiman books, The Postman, several Philip K Dick books and some L. Ron Hubbard but they didn't have any of them! So basically my public library has a horrible fantasy/sci-fi section.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm very disappointed in my public library. I went searching for several Neil Gaiman books, The Postman, several Philip K Dick books and some L. Ron Hubbard but they didn't have any of them! So basically my public library has a horrible fantasy/sci-fi section.
    What Neil Gaiman books? You know my apartment is just at the other end of the building, right?

Also,did you check the library on Campus? They have a lot of that stuff I'd imagine.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Closing in on the end of The Eyre Affair. Teaching leeches away all my reading time. Stupid students.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    What Neil Gaiman books? You know my apartment is just at the other end of the building, right?

Also,did you check the library on Campus? They have a lot of that stuff I'd imagine.
    I wanted to go to campus where they have a lot more, but they closed at 4:30. Boo. I want to read Stardust again. Do you have it?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 714 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 518 ... LastLast