Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
Thank as always to Simon Mason for this post. Sadly we do not meet up so often, as in October last year we moved down to the South coast, putting us more than a few miles from each other.
This picture was believed to be in the custody of The Tolkien Estates or the Bodleian Library, thereby leaving me with the impression that it would not see the light of day again. There was also another ink drawing by Tolkien of the same farm, drawn a few years later than this picture, which definitely resides in one of the establishments mentioned above. The drawing was offered to me a few days ahead of “Firsts:London’s Rare Book Fair” held at the Saatchi gallery.
As stated in the script, the picture of Lamb’s Farm throws up two interesting points.
(1) While staying there Tolkien was inspired by a line of poetry from the Crist by Cynewulf, which was the start of his epic Silmarillion.
(2) The beginnings of his famous monogram, showing its early form here before evolving into the well known insignia still used today.
Once again good fortune has played its part in obtaining this piece. The longer I collect the more it becomes evident that everyone needs some luck, a lot of patience, and a good network of friends. The Dark Tower is one of the finest examples of a “family” of collectors prepared to assist one another with advice and books when possible.
No one can successfully acquire a collection on their own.
I hope you enjoy the picture.
Best wishes,
Alec.
Just wow. Unreal. Congratulations brother! That is history right there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk