28 30.77%
  • Quality of the Story's Ending -- Graded "C"

4 4.40%
  • Never Read

6 6.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grading: IT

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    Pablo, Dont waste time reading anything else until you have read this book!
    I concur completely. Reading and especially ranking any other King without having read It is fundamentally flawed. It is the epitome of what King is capable of and I cannot help but judge every other one of his books against it.
    I surely will, no doubt.

But that's flawed logic, ranking all books against another. Each should be rated on its own merit and nothing else, in my opinion.
    Actually the guy who invented logic would disagree with you. Aristotle poses Oedipus Rex as the perfected form of tragedy in order to discuss the topics in his Poetics. Offering an example of your premise in order to objectify your opinions and respond to rebuttal is a key aspect of inductive logic.
    Not trying to be picky here, but Aristotle did not invent logic. He fathered Aristotelian logic. While he may have made popular that particular act of logical discourse and argument, logic was practiced by other cultures as well. Pablo's contention that a book should be rated on its own merits is not illogical. In fact, I would say that this topic could even be a completely new thread, as the subject may be interesting to a lot of people.
    Logic was practiced by other cultures? I never thought of that. Other philosophers besides Aristotle? Never thought of that either.
    Well of course since Aristotle invented logic those other cultures must have practiced after he invented it.

A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Obviously one of the top books SK has written in a career of wonderful books. Gave the ending a B, however, because though I was satisfied with the denoument, I was disappointed just a bit in the climax.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

All A's, and one of the first King books I had read.

Gunslinger Apprentice Django is on a distinguished road Django's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

AAA

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, I'm going to blow the curve here. Straight B's, and that was being generous.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Someday I'll read this book...
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

B, A, B.
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Dags. You didnt think that it deserved an A in at least the Character Development area?

Heng Dai

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Straight A's...this book blows me away no matter how many times I read it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Wow, Dags. You didnt think that it deserved an A in at least the Character Development area?

Bears are very surprised, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    Pablo, Dont waste time reading anything else until you have read this book!
    I concur completely. Reading and especially ranking any other King without having read It is fundamentally flawed. It is the epitome of what King is capable of and I cannot help but judge every other one of his books against it.
    I surely will, no doubt.

But that's flawed logic, ranking all books against another. Each should be rated on its own merit and nothing else, in my opinion.
    Actually the guy who invented logic would disagree with you. Aristotle poses Oedipus Rex as the perfected form of tragedy in order to discuss the topics in his Poetics. Offering an example of your premise in order to objectify your opinions and respond to rebuttal is a key aspect of inductive logic.
    Not trying to be picky here, but Aristotle did not invent logic. He fathered Aristotelian logic. While he may have made popular that particular act of logical discourse and argument, logic was practiced by other cultures as well. Pablo's contention that a book should be rated on its own merits is not illogical. In fact, I would say that this topic could even be a completely new thread, as the subject may be interesting to a lot of people.
    Logic was practiced by other cultures? I never thought of that. Other philosophers besides Aristotle? Never thought of that either.
    Well of course since Aristotle invented logic those other cultures must have practiced after he invented it.

Hannah,

My response to Pablo was half joking. I'm kind of biased when it comes to Aristotle if you haven't noticed, though I'm sure you have since you're a nit picker.

Socrates actually invented formal logic, though its debatable since he never wrote anything down. If we take the early Plato to be Socrates, then works like Ion are good examples.

Aristotle didn't invent a particular logic by his namesake. Because of his differing epistemological approach, he perfected inductive logic because of his emphasis on knowledge that is arrived at aesthetically through the senses (empiricism). Thomas Aquinas is perhaps his best disciple in this regard and his Summa Theologicae is basically an ode to Aristotle's logic as well as all the works of the late medieval scholastics.

Pablo has good points and I'm sorry if anyone took me the wrong way. He said that Jayson was illogical and my point is that he wasn't. It might be a different approach than Pablo's, and there remain merits to both, but it isn't necessarily wrong by being different.

Basically, I should have used a smiley so it would have been more obvious that I was sort of joking.

I argue a lot about Aristotle in school because he's out of favor in many regards and sometimes its hard to turn the switch off. Forgive me if it came across in any negative way.

Gunslinger Apprentice Yunsung is on a distinguished road Yunsung's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A, A, B. It's a kick-ass book, and from me that's a kick-ass grade.

06.03.02 - End of an Era
    01.06.07 - Rite of Passage
    09.26.07 - New Partnership
    12.17.09 - Engagement

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    A, A, B. It's a kick-ass book, and from me that's a kick-ass grade.
    What brought the ending down to a B? Just curious.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Straight A's.

Simply magnificent.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that on rereading, The ending for It was better. Once I saw how the turtle could fit in with the DT world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2