Quote Originally Posted by Vasagi View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
I cry your pardon if this topic has already been posted.

Dune is one of my top favorite books. I really like the story and how it continued. However, I think his son (Brian Herbert) and Kevin J. Anderson are making the new books ruint!

Anyone else?
I wasn't gonna register here ... then I saw this thread. Now I've got a discussion I can jump right in to

The first 6 of the series, IMO, were all masterpieces though some were better than others. Frank Herbert made a deep, complex universe with interesting characters and intricate political situations. It's not really "easy" reading at all, but it's *very* rewarding. You get involved with the main characters ... the heroes are vulnerable ... the villians are power-mad ... and the schemes are ... intricate. Like The Dark Tower, you love and you hate the characters.

The prequels that Brian Herbert has been writing are ... well ... not that good. They're just caricatures of his father's work. The schemes are obvious ... the characters are your plain old "knight in shining armor" and the "villian in the black hat".

The difference is there, but it's really subtle and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Some of the prequels were interesting ... in that you got to see some of Frank's characters expanded upon ... but nothing really deep was added. It's like comparing the original 3 star wars movies to the new 3 ... something's different, and the original flavor is much better.

I'm well & truly scared to see what Brian's going to do with the unwritten conclusion to the series ... Book 7 that his father died before getting a chance to pen.
Excellent description!! Frank always had plans within plans within plans. Sandworms comes out soon!! A bunch of us are trying to figure out how many characters from Brian's prequals will be involved in the last book.
Waiting for Vorian Atreides to make a re-appearance.