• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

35 56.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Harry Potter Book Discussion

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

well, there you go, then.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I really know how to bring a thread to a screeching halt.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

threadkilla.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I promised my daughter that I would read the 6th before I ever touched her copy of #7 (when it comes out).
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

um, yeah. don't be like cicero, who fronts that he's a fan when he hasn't ever read the first three.

also, i posted this elsewhere:

perhaps not norbert? from fantastic beasts and where to find them:

Antipodean Opaleye
    [...]
    Perhaps the most beatiful type of dragon, it has iridescent, pearly scales and glittering, multi-coloured, pupil-less eyes, hence its name.
    (thanks to erinp for the deluxe edition cover art!)
    Last edited by sarajean; 06-19-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: funky formatting/close parenthetical statement

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am totally old school on the fanboydom

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't been a big fan of the art from the books, but I really really like that dragon picture. Especially the scenery in the background.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that deluxe edition artwork is very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by VolsToTheWall View Post
    Yeah, that deluxe edition artwork is very cool.
    yeah. *sigh* why must i be so cheap/poor. oh yeah. it's the three kids.

someday. all i really care about is what's inside. and there's only a month and 2 days left!

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

With just weeks to go until the release of the final Harry Potter book, I wanted to share this with you guys -- something I've been working on for some time now. Here are my thoughts -- call them predictions, gut feelings, whatever -- on who might live and who might die in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and why. And be warned, spoilers for all six books abound.

Who will die in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was told that the HP movies are translated from the books almost to the hilt , except for some [minor] changes...can anyone confirm or deny this?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So far, pretty much. Obviously they had to ditch some of the bit players but I would say overall its about as close to the book as a movie can get.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you sir.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The movies are only OK in my opinion. I really don't like how Ron's character is protrayed very much, but then I really like Alan Rickman as Snape.

The first two movies are pretty close to the books and the thrid deviates a bit and there were a lot of changes in the 4th movie. But I can understand why some of those were made.

Bottom line of this rambling post....the books are 100x better.

i disagree, matt. there are some pretty glaring changes and omissions with the movies. some of the characters that were left out were not bit players, and if they're introduced this late in the game, their appearances may not make a whole lot of sense to people who haven't read the books.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, that was mostly my personal opinion and I have actually only read the first 5 once. I may not be the best authority on what is and what isn't.

Like so many other things.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, what Sara said. She always articulates things I'm attempting to say way better.

I just really hope this movie is far better than Goblet of Fire. I was really let down when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sure, that was mostly my personal opinion and I have actually only read the first 5 once. I may not be the best authority on what is and what isn't.

Like so many other things.
    i know that's the case in your situation, matt. i wasn't necessarily trying to call you out, i was just attempting to let fp know that i had a dissenting opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Yep, what Sara said. She always articulates things I'm attempting to say way better.

I just really hope this movie is far better than Goblet of Fire. I was really let down when I saw it.
    awww. you flatter me. i'm thinking order may be the one i like the best. what i've seen so far has kept all of the stuff i liked and left out the things i didn't. i may have a differing opinion, though, once i've actually seen it.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This will always be the case, for any book to movie adaptation, for 2 main reasons:

1. There are no kind of 'restraints' while reading a book: budget, film length etc.

and

2. Nothing is as good as your imagination

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I know you weren't calling me out SJ. I was doing the same, simply acknowledging that I may not know what the hell I am talking about.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep you're right. But you know, not to get really off topic, but I think Fight Club is the one movie that was just as good as the book to me. I was surprised, that doesn't happen too often.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The Green Mile was for me. Shawshank even better than the short story it orginates from

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I was told that the HP movies are translated from the books almost to the hilt , except for some [minor] changes...can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Dude, your are missin out. The movies have so much of the story cut out of them. There's some key things that happen in Goblit of Fire (the book) that they didn't even touch on in the movie. Same with Prisoner of Ascaban. Actually since the start, and I think it's going to mess up the ending.

I like watchen the movies while....

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Shawshank even better than the short story it orginates from
    I agree that Shawshank was the only decent King movie adaptation... but better???

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

For me the HP films were only ok. I watched the first two and am in no great rush to see more. The books however are great

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    This will always be the case, for any book to movie adaptation, for 2 main reasons:

1. There are no kind of 'restraints' while reading a book: budget, film length etc.

and

2. Nothing is as good as your imagination
    I agree with the second statement wholeheartedly and the larger statement of book to movie adaptions about 99% of the time. There are rare exceptions. I thought both Green Mile and Shawshank were great films (however slightly less than the books). The only adaption of a film that comes to mind that seemed to me to be pretty much exactly as the book is Rosemary's Baby.
    Last edited by Jean; 07-03-2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: two consecutive posts, with nothing suggesting they should be separate
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast