• Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

34 54.84%
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

35 56.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Harry Potter Book Discussion

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yass - did you hear about JK outing Dumbledore? Check the other HP thread for the article

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if Will would be mad at me if I blew up that picture and hung it on the wall...LOL, ya know like the old teenage days?

I can hardly see why not because I was forced to look at Cindy Crawford wallering around in sand, along with various other shots and poses for years before we moved in together.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Traveler Yassig is on a distinguished road Yassig's Avatar

Darkthoughts--Yes! I almost fell over laughing when I heard about it, because the Christian right here has gone ape sh*t over it. It's quite amusing.
    "Be awed at the sight of my prowess!"
    -Keigo Atobe

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I bet the slash ficcers are having a field day

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks pretty photoshopped to me...

<--wet blanket

Along the Path of the Beam Fishonabike is on a distinguished road Fishonabike's Avatar

I agree with Blake.

Hi Blake!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

some harry potter news today on cnn.com

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

"Christmas has come early for me"

JK Rowling

I bet!

We're going to watch the Order tonight.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I think that's awsome!!

And I want that book!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, I'd love to read that. I wonder who the other 6 people were? And pretty cool that she made seven (horcruxes)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default J.K. Rowling’s The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Explaination of the story :
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/book....ap/index.html

and this

amazon did buy this book... huge explainations and description of the book...

carlos, dont tell me that you own one of the six others

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

soooo awsome!

soooo beautiful!!

What I wouldn't give to be able to own that!!!!

And Bob, if you own the six others, I expect one for Christmas!!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    What I wouldn't give to be able to own that!!!!
    well, could have been yours for more than $ 3,938,638.04
    easy!

My Mood
    Lurking

Um, sure, my son has that in his piggy bank!

What gets me is that they thought it would only go for $100,000!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Sai Joshua is on a distinguished road Sai Joshua's Avatar

Default The Whole Dumbledore Thing

OK, Let me begin this thread by saying that I AM NOT bashing anyone of an alternative lifestyle. I am bashing what I consider to be a fairly good author's stupid publicity stunt. If you haven't heard, J.K Rowling announced that Dumbledore was gay! Ok 2 problems with this:
    1: His sexual preference does not figure in any of the seven books which I have read.
    2: J.K Rowling went out of her way to make sure that this was a "jab" at the people she called Christians.

I have a major issue with this. I am a Christian and I had friends who are Christians who would not read her books or watch her movies because of what some unlearned, uninformed idiots who call themselves "Christians" on TV came out and said about her books. I had to work really hard to convince some of them to watch the movies, and I did, and then they saw how wonderful they were. Now thanks to this crap, I have lost any footing I had as promoting Harry Potter as good family reading, which it was and still is, except now we have the onus of " Oh, by the way, even though you don't see it anywhere in print, Dumbledore is gay!"

This to me would be the same thing as George Lucas saying" Oh yeah, I forgot, in Episode 4 of Star Wars, Han, Chewie and Luke had a threesome on their way to blow up the Death Star! It wasn't in the movie, but it was there!"

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!!!!!

Does anyone want to discuss? And please don't trash Christianity on here, that is not what we are talking about.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me, I just think it's much ado about nothing. I haven't read the books, but I've seen all of the movies. If somoeone wouldn't watch the movies or read the books based on someone elses opinion, they are shortchanging themselves. Just my opinion.

Awoken Enigma Sai_Rhavan is on a distinguished road Sai_Rhavan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read all of the books, and while I don't believe it was a jab at christianity(after reading Philp Pullman, I think I could find a few authors who do) I do believe it was just to get more money. I'm not anti-insertideaorthoughttrain/lifestyle, but she has been known to milk everything until it screams for mercy

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I was a bit annoyed that she discussed it after the books were all written. I mean if it was so important why didn't she address it in the books at some point. She doesn't talk about any of the professers lives outside of the school at any point and she never talked about thier personal lives. So why bring it up and not talk about any of the other professors love lives?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Dumbledore only ever fought with Grindelwald because they were hot for each other's manflesh. It certainly had to do with an "elder wand."
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

"Money talks, dogshit walks."

Roland would have understood.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Joshua View Post
    If you haven't heard, J.K Rowling announced that Dumbledore was gay! Ok 2 problems with this:

1: His sexual preference does not figure in any of the seven books which I have read.
    What does it matter if it wasn't in any of the books? King told Bev Vincent that Antubis from Kingdom Hospital knew Roland. There was NOTHING in the series to indicate that. As long as it doesn't blatantly contradict anything (I.E. showing Dumbledore in a clearly hetero relationship) I don't see the problem.

2: J.K Rowling went out of her way to make sure that this was a "jab" at the people she called Christians.
    How? Please explain. While I haven't been reading every single tidbit about JK and Dumbledore, nothing indicated to me that she was attempting to piss off the Christians. I'm a Christian, and I didn't feel it was a jab.

I have a major issue with this. I am a Christian and I had friends who are Christians who would not read her books or watch her movies because of what some unlearned, uninformed idiots who call themselves "Christians" on TV came out and said about her books. I had to work really hard to convince some of them to watch the movies, and I did, and then they saw how wonderful they were. Now thanks to this crap, I have lost any footing I had as promoting Harry Potter as good family reading, which it was and still is, except now we have the onus of " Oh, by the way, even though you don't see it anywhere in print, Dumbledore is gay!"
    So would you not be offended if Dumbledore was outed in the book? Because so far your problem with it seems to be that he's gay, not that Rowling said it once it was finished. And if your Christian friends are the type to get pissed off at gay characters then chances are they're also the type to get offended by any sort of witchcraft.

Does anyone want to discuss? And please don't trash Christianity on here, that is not what we are talking about.
    I'm not but since you're bringing it up sooner or later its going to be part of the discussion.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I was going to express almost entirely the same opinions as Cyber (only I'm not Christian). So, well said Sai

Awoken Enigma Sai_Rhavan is on a distinguished road Sai_Rhavan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*quietly pats Cyber on the shoulder, afraid for Joshua's, and everyone else's life on the current forum.*

Extremely well put, though. Slightly scary, but extremely well put.

Gunslinger Apprentice Sai Joshua is on a distinguished road Sai Joshua's Avatar

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7053982.stm

She makes a direct statement to the effect that it is one more reason for the Christian community to hate her books.

I do not read a book because the characters are gay or straight. The point I am trying to make here is that there was no reason to out Dumbledore other than a desire to create a controversy which would be a reason to sell more books. I care not one whit whether Dumbledore was gay or not. If it had fit into the storyline somewhere and had some bearing on the books that would have changed my mind on the way that the character developed(i.e Harry sees that Dumbledore is gay while looking in the pensieve or some such thing as that) I could understand that. I did not have a problem with King revealing that
    Spoiler:
    Callahan was in love with another man
    , there was a meaning to that, it fit into the story and explained his hatred for vampires and his desire to kill them.What JK Rowling did in my opinion amounted to nothing more than a cheap shot at a group of people and a desire to sell more books.

Also, anyone who knows anything about witchcraft knows that the way magic works in the Harry Potter world is not the way that it works in the "real" world. I never heard Harry or any of his companions or enemies for that matter call upon Satan or any other supernatural being. The ability to use magic in these books seems to rely on a predisposition to be able to do magic in the first place(take squibs for instance). Magic in these books seems to rely on an inheirited talent and not on pledging one's soul to Satan or some other magical being.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast