Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Reading or Listening?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reading

24 48.00%
  • Listening

3 6.00%
  • They are apples and oranges--no comparison

7 14.00%
  • Different but equal

16 32.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reading or Listening--what's better?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here but I got an MP3 player for my birthday so I'm going digital!!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

John F. Kennedy Stinga of A-Town is on a distinguished road Stinga of A-Town's Avatar

Perosnaly, I traveled up the tower all on audio, - I too have a long drive out to work, and the radio sux.
    I am currently starting up the tower, for the 3rd time via audio and it seems each time I hear something new, or something that didn't stick the first few times. This time however, I started on book 7 and then went to 1,2 ect... and that seems to make it a bit more interesting, having 7 still fresh in my mind as I started 1 again.
    I even have custom lightscribed CD's with book artwork for the Tower (that took freekin forever to make, but well worth the effort.)
    I have also traveled round the HitchHikers guide books via Audio. Thats fun.
    I must say that having stories told to me really captivates my intrest more than reading.
    A man who cannot share his habits, needs to give them up.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stinga of A-Town View Post
    Perosnaly, I traveled up the tower all on audio, - I too have a long drive out to work, and the radio sux.
    I am currently starting up the tower, for the 3rd time via audio and it seems each time I hear something new, or something that didn't stick the first few times. This time however, I started on book 7 and then went to 1,2 ect... and that seems to make it a bit more interesting, having 7 still fresh in my mind as I started 1 again.
    Interesting! I've never thought of listening to them that way. Reading, yeah, but not listening. I'll have to do that the next time I listen through the series.

I even have custom lightscribed CD's with book artwork for the Tower (that took freekin forever to make, but well worth the effort.)
    Nice! You should post pictures of them in the Artwork forum!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

John F. Kennedy Stinga of A-Town is on a distinguished road Stinga of A-Town's Avatar

Hmmm- Mayhap I will.
    I have made up 2 sets, one for me, one for my brother, but his book has a custom painted Ka symbol on it - if I can snap a pic of that - I'll drop it on the artwork section too.
    As for starting with 7 to 1 ect.. I was hoping to hear a diffrent version -
    Spoiler:
    one with the horn of eld - but I figure I'll have to run through 19 times to get that tale
    (JK (maybe?).
    A man who cannot share his habits, needs to give them up.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    For anyone who hasn't seen this, here is a pretty strong argument for audiobooks by the man himself:

King of Pop: Hail to the Spoken Word, by Stephen King
    You the Man, Patrick. You THE MAN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Love that! He really explains the benefits of audio well. I always knew he was a fan but its cool to read something like that.
    Thanks, guys. That column came out a couple years ago and I've been looking for it online ever since (although not looking very hard obviously). I found it based on a post in Calvins' Corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    This
    Worst of all? Abridgments. I hate abridgments. Abridgments should be outlawed. No, I take that back. Abridgments should be taken out and hung from the nearest lamppost. Why reputable and otherwise sane writers who labor for years on a book allow them to be snipped up by audio editors to fit a four- or six-CD format mystifies me. It's not as if the audio market generates billions, and the resulting chop-shop jobs go a long way toward justifying the critics' opinions. They're literary Diet Coke.
    is spot on. But I still can't listen to a book I haven't read first. It's a thing.

I guess I am a literary purist.
    It takes a little practice (or at least it did for me) to get used to first time readings via audio. Now it's no problem. And, yeah, I can't stand abridgements either. I avoid them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Same here but I got an MP3 player for my birthday so I'm going digital!!
    Congrats, Matt.
    Perosnaly, I traveled up the tower all on audio...
    Confession: I've never read the entire DT books on paper, only bits and pieces of the stories and looking at the artwork. The full books have all been by audio.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Confession: I've never read the entire DT books on paper, only bits and pieces of the stories and looking at the artwork. The full books have all been by audio.
    You really should give the whoe hard-copy DT a try sometime. For a different experience. Smoke some pot a little while you do so.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I figure that I'll have to give Something Wicked This Way Comes another chance later on. As I've mentioned, it is the first book I'm listening to that I haven't previously read. Not going as well as all the others so far...

I've never read or listened to any abridgment before and I don't plan to.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I figure that I'll have to give Something Wicked This Way Comes another chance later on. As I've mentioned, it is the first book I'm listening to that I haven't previously read. Not going as well as all the others so far....
    read it. it's not that bad. I understand that all that poetry-in-prose must be really annoying when you have to listen to it; it's better when you read it with your eyes.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That is one of my favorite books.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I LOVE Something Wicked This Way Comes and the movie too.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen the movie, but the book is wonderful.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I figure that I'll have to give Something Wicked This Way Comes another chance later on. As I've mentioned, it is the first book I'm listening to that I haven't previously read. Not going as well as all the others so far....
    read it. it's not that bad. I understand that all that poetry-in-prose must be really annoying when you have to listen to it; it's better when you read it with your eyes.
    I listened to that same book recently, and to be honest, I had the same reaction as Monte. I kept thinking, "I wish I had read this when I was a teenager, maybe I would have liked it more." And I say that as someone who loves Ray Bradbury. I dunno, maybe Jean is right.

Monte, give another "unread" audiobook a try, don't be discouraged about it based on this one experience.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I said different but equal. I used to have to do a LOT of driving--about 600-800 miles a week--and got tired very quickly of listening to the various radio stations. So I started with audio books and found that they allowed the miles to go quickly. When I got to wherever I was going, though, I always had a print book for the hotel, plus I always had a print book at home.

Now, I don't do much driving at all, so I've migrated away from the audio books. I tried to listen to them in my drives around town while I was doing errands, but I was always too distracted by the traffic.

John

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted reading. I have never listened to a book on audiotape. I cannot stand for someone to read to me. Not even when I was a kid. I much prefer to read the book myself and see and hear in whatever voice I choose and the scenery for myself.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I listened to that same book recently, and to be honest, I had the same reaction as Monte. I kept thinking, "I wish I had read this when I was a teenager, maybe I would have liked it more." And I say that as someone who loves Ray Bradbury. I dunno, maybe Jean is right.

Monte, give another "unread" audiobook a try, don't be discouraged about it based on this one experience.
    Thanks Patrick and yes, I think I will give another a chance. Not only is this my first experience with a "unread" audiobook, it is also my first Bradbury experience. Maybe I just haven't started with the right one.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh....you really should READ some Bradbury.

....and I agree you should give audio as a first experience a second shot.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Oh....you really should READ some Bradbury.
    Totally!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used to love Bradbury when I was a kid (read in translations then, but they were perfectly adequate as I see now), then (already in English) went through a long period of hating him - his affected style made me physically sick - but now I am beginning to rather calmly tolerate, and even somewhat enjoy, him, and it started with Something Wicked I bought last year.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam Maera is on a distinguished road Maera's Avatar

I have to choose reading hands down. I can't listen to one thing for extended periods of time (I'm constantly flipping through songs when I listen to music, skipping t o fit my exact mood at that second) and when I try to listen to a read book I always wind up getting distracted and missing something crucial.. So I really can't listen to them, which is really unfortunate..

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maeralyn_ View Post
    ... when I try to listen to a read book I always wind up getting distracted and missing something crucial.. So I really can't listen to them, which is really unfortunate..
    I have this issue as well sometimes and I have to hit rewind (or whatever it's called on the iPod). But then, I have that issue with the written word as well sometimes where I'll have to go back and read a page or two because I was totally zoning out.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never listened to an audiobook - I'm not sure why.
    Perhaps its because I equate listening, in that medium, with music - which I in turn equate with going somewhere or being active in some way (I'm not the kind of person who can have music on as a background noise, its a focus for me). Whereas reading I equate with relaxing, so I guess its never occurred to me to crossover with the two.

I loved being read to as a child though, my Dad was a fantastic narrator.
    Perhaps next time I take a car journey I could give it a go, that seems like the ideal audiobook setting to me.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*starts copying SK audios to send for your drive*

If you rescue me

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maeralyn_ View Post
    ... when I try to listen to a read book I always wind up getting distracted and missing something crucial.. So I really can't listen to them, which is really unfortunate..
    I have this issue as well sometimes and I have to hit rewind (or whatever it's called on the iPod). But then, I have that issue with the written word as well sometimes where I'll have to go back and read a page or two because I was totally zoning out.

Same exact thing happens to me.

And Darks, long car rides are the perfect time to listen to an audiobook.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool, thats my initiation sorted then I don't drive so I can tune into my ipod and drop out

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast