Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1960s

Hybrid View

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I nominate Ocean's 11:

Spoiler:
    ...one has only to master a greatly slowed version of Homer's hedge withdrawal...

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank God you all stayed away from this one. One of the most iconic endings of all time...

Film: Planet of the Apes
    Director: Franklin J. Schaffner
    Year: 1968

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second 2001: A Space Odyssey

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Planet of the Apes.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I nominate
    The Battle of Algiers (1966) Gillo Pontecorvo

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    I nominate
    The Battle of Algiers (1966) Gillo Pontecorvo
    2ND

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I nominate Fail-Safe:

Spoiler:
    ...one has only to master a greatly slowed version of Homer's hedge withdrawal...

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I nominate Fail-Safe
    Seconded! I saw this for the first time a couple of months ago. Superb movie.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will enthusiastically second Bonnie and Clyde, even though there is a huge continuity error in the final shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I will enthusiastically second Bonnie and Clyde, even though there is a huge continuity error in the final shootout.
    I love it but factually, also, it is not historically accurate.
    I tried searching once for what is the most accurate biopic made but could not find the answer.
    Just for instance, the real Clyde was bisexual but they made him impotent in the movie. Go figure!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    ...Just for instance, the real Clyde was bisexual but they made him impotent in the movie. Go figure!
    So basically they wanted to alter everything having to do with all manner of bullets he might be shooting.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Le Samouraï (1967)
    Jean-Pierre Melville

Watch trailer:

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Le Samouraï (1967)
    Jean-Pierre Melville

Watch trailer:
    I second this.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Two great performances, one not so much of a surprise (Paul Newman) and the other a huge surprise (Jackie Gleason) - not to mention George C. Scott and Piper Laurie

Film: The Hustler
    Director: Robert Rossen
    Year: 1961

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Two great performances, one not so much of a surprise (Paul Newman) and the other a huge surprise (Jackie Gleason) - not to mention George C. Scott and Piper Laurie

Film: The Hustler
    Director: Robert Rossen
    Year: 1961

2ND

The Wild Bunch

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Onibaba. Amazingly creepy and atmospheric film. Also, the music!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I nominate In The Heat Of The Night:

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Cool

I nominate
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962) John Frankenheimer

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    I nominate
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962) John Frankenheimer
    seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

The Virgin Spring (1960)
    Ingmar Bergman

Watch trailer:

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The Virgin Spring (1960)
    Ingmar Bergman

Watch trailer:
    2ND

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I second It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I second It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
    Yes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast