Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Valentine's Day...

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Valentine's Day...

Is either the one of the best days in the world or the most dreaded day. Discuss.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice already started a Valentine's Day thread.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

His was a Happy Valentine's day thread, though.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I fail to see what is so happy about valentines.

You're either:

a) single and miserable

or

b) in a relationship which requires you to spend unnecessary money just because.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Not necessarily. DBF and I have been together 7 years, and we don't celebrate Valentine's Day. It's a "Hallmark Holiday" anyway, designed by retailers to make a buck. We're going to the bar to watch the Avs play.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Or maybe you guys are just cheap

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

During our staff meeting, they gave the history of Valentines Day.

When they were about to execute St. Valentine because he would not convert religion, he sent a message to a woman he had cured of blindness through a miracle.

He signed the card "your Valentine"

We celebrate it and I love having a day where Dora and I can sit for a minute and appreciate our love for each other.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love St.Valentine because I love all our Catholic Saints

and, of course, I love any pretext for celebrating and giving little presents and all that stuff that is fun to do!

One could say "it could be done on any other day, why follow that commercial trend" etc, etc, but why should anyone treat it so seriously? It's a game, like many other things in life, and it's only up to ourselves to make it a game that is fun to play.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Master sai blaine is on a distinguished road sai blaine's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Yeah, I fail to see what is so happy about valentines.

You're either:

a) single and miserable

or

b) in a relationship which requires you to spend unnecessary money just because.
    QFT!

So, earthlings..basically urm...end of the world...Here Come The Drums!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Jean. I like Valentine's Day and have ever since I was a little kid. It was so exciting to go to school, having made out your little cards to each person in the class and walk around handing them out. It made everyone so happy.

Darrin and I didn't do anything special this year, we just went out to eat a few days ago to celebrate.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I agree with Jean. I like Valentine's Day and have ever since I was a little kid. It was so exciting to go to school, having made out your little cards to each person in the class and walk around handing them out. It made everyone so happy.

Well, ignorance is bliss.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not ignorant. I went to a very small private elementary school where everyone was friends with everyone else, inside and outside of school. So yes, everyone was happy on Valentine's Day, at least in my case.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We normally just have a romantic dinner at home with a bottle of wine (or 3 - motherfucker of a headache today) or go to a restaurant in one of the cafe-bar-restaurant nightlife areas in the city.

No offense to anyone who regularly buys / receives bunches of flowers on Valentines, but I tend to believe that paying double the usual price on a day where you're prompted by Advertising debases the meaning of the gesture. If you're going to buy flowers, make it a complete surprise.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Valentine's as it's the one day a year I can wear my red tuxedo shirt out to dinner.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

Well, ignorance is bliss.
    ... and being pessimistic and bitter can get old real quick.

"You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Citizen of Gilead Aesculapius is on a distinguished road Aesculapius's Avatar

Default V is for...

Momma told me there would be DAYS like this. SHe is coming back around, though...to put things back the way they should be. HIS story? Nah...we've had enough of that.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

emmy understood the stupid puns on her valentines today and cackled with glee reading them to me. her laughter was precious.

that being said, my only valentine was from a complete stranger on facebook.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Not necessarily. DBF and I have been together 7 years, and we don't celebrate Valentine's Day. It's a "Hallmark Holiday" anyway, designed by retailers to make a buck. We're going to the bar to watch the Avs play.
    I agree with daggers here. I try to treat my love with tender kindness every single day. Not a day goes by that she doesn't hear me tell her I love her, and more than once. Every now and again I buy her gifts "just because" and celebrate with her our "dating" anniversary as well as our marriage anniversary.

I don't need Wal-Mart to tell me when to celebrate our love.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not ignorant. I went to a very small private elementary school where everyone was friends with everyone else, inside and outside of school. So yes, everyone was happy on Valentine's Day, at least in my case.

You misread me. Kids don't understand love, it's just a morale to a story. That is why I said ignorance is bliss, I wasn't calling you ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by zoneseek
    ... and being pessimistic and bitter can get old real quick.
    Well, when you've been alone as long as I have, it's part of the job description.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Hubby and I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day... I called him a bunch of times and always said Happy Valentine's Day which was me just being goofy.
    I gave our girls some candy hearts, but that's about it.

I DO agree about flowers on V-Day, ZoNe... especially roses. Really expensive and overrated. I would much prefer getting flowers "just because" rather than on a specific day from my man.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i guess I'm alright then.

while we have a busy thread, anyone want to play hold em, i'll be in the game.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I'm there

My Mood
    Breezy

we're playing people, but it'd be funner with more joining us!

more!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I tend to dislike Valentine's Day on the grounds that I don't think people should need a day to make some grand gesture of love when they should be doing that on a day to day basis, and on the grounds taht it is horribly commercialized, but if I am completely honest with myself, I tend to not mind that stuff as much when I have a girlfriend. I guess I am just a bitter single person, at least to some degree. I had quite a good time V-Day before last, which was the last one that I was actually dating someone(Erin, actually. haha.)
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast