Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Historical Fiction

Threaded View

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Read McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It's a haunting look at the scalp trade in the 1840s.
    I came in here to post about that actually. Its one of the best books I've ever read hands down as well as one of the most despairing. I think its one of the most astute things ever written about American Exceptionalism. Very few things within the past few years have affected me as much as Blood Meridian. People tend to hate McCarthy or love him and I'm definitely the latter in all respects. Several times I had to put this book down for a few minutes and just weep. You can call me a pussy JB, but I couldn't care less.
    why would I do that? I cried during Marley and Me.

And I already have that book on my to buy list, but since you recommend it so highly I'll push it to the front of the list.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    look in the gude to dutch hill.

it's under "people of the..."
    Hey thanks, I hadn't noticed you added the link.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Hey JB, I really enjoyed Gates of Fire. Twas awesome
    And I can't believe I kept forgetting you told me already. I won't forget again feevs, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I don't read alot of historical fiction, but I love James Clavell. Shogun is an amazing read and the books that follow on from it, Gai Jin, Tai Pan are entertaining, if not the best writing around.
    His WW2 story King Rat is a complete knock out though, that's highly recommended.
    Is King Rat a stand alone book, or do I read the other 3 first?>
    Last edited by sarajean; 07-16-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: unnecessary double posts
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."