Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst King on the Screen--Nominations Closed

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    is that Shining the one where The Overlook actually blew up? or the oen where they leave Jack to freeze to death?
    1997 is the one where the boiler explodes. That one is properly called Stephen King's The Shining.
    I loved the 1997 one, it kicked ass.
    Now the other one...
    I Nominate the other one: The Shining (1980)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I'll nominate Apt Pupil. I liked Brad Renfro in the part, but the movie just didn't get near dark enough.
    I'll second Apt Pupil. I am one of the few (at least according to what people wrote in the other thread) who liked the story, but I thought the film left a lot to be desired. The casting was well-done, the script and the direction not so much.

I'll also one-up the 1997 mini-series version of The Shining. That thing was awful.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Cat's Eye.

And wholeheartedly second Thinner.
    Last edited by Ves'Ka Gan; 12-02-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: blindness.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I must add The Langoliers to this list.

Kingdom almost can't be considered a King mini series. Unlike most King stuff this was his adaptation of another persons work.
    Insert witty comment here.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I'll nominate Apt Pupil. I liked Brad Renfro in the part, but the movie just didn't get near dark enough.
    I'll second Apt Pupil. I am one of the few (at least according to what people wrote in the other thread) who liked the story, but I thought the film left a lot to be desired. The casting was well-done, the script and the direction not so much.
    Agreed. I read the story for the first time when I was about 12 and it really took my mind to a place it had never been before. Its the evil potential of human nature at face value that is the most terrifying for me. Squashing a dove with a basket ball (movie) isn't the same as placing homeless people in ovens (book). Plus the ending was nothing like the book:

Spoiler:
    When Todd went on the shooting spree at the highway traffic until he was taken out.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
    I must add The Langoliers to this list.

Kingdom almost can't be considered a King mini series. Unlike most King stuff this was his adaptation of another persons work.
    I liked the movie version of the Langoliers more than the book.

:ducks:

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Harrald View Post

True, but it still works for this category b/c King wrote the teleplays.
    Heng Dai

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'll third Dreamcatcher!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I could use my nomination to remove Maximum Overdrive from the list. I liked that movie. I think this is the only one that King directed himself as well.

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

'Salem's Lot Miniseries. It could have been really good (Rutger Hauer and Rob Lowe *swoon*), but what they did to Father Callahan's character was unforgivable.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tommyknockers, The Shining (TV series), Graveyard Shift, Storm of the Century, Kingdom Hospital, The Running Man.

I would have put in The Langoliers for nomination if there weren't so many abominable Stephen King-related films in existence.

There are probably a dozen or so I've neglected to mention simply because I've either forgot them, or never watched them. But rest assured, they probably blow just the same.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    I nominate Cat's Eye.
    You've got to be kidding me!?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

no she's completely serious. and i forgot to second it so i'll do that now.

second cat's eye.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm quitting this vote. While there are plenty that aren't comparable to the stories/books they came from. I can't think of one that didn't entertain me.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree with Brice, If there are so many abominable SK films, why do we all still watch every one that comes out. More than that we discuss how good/bad it will be for months before it comes out, and then discuss how good/bad it was for the next couple months.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    The Tommyknockers, The Shining (TV series), Graveyard Shift, Storm of the Century, Kingdom Hospital, The Running Man.
    Which of the boldened is actually being nominated? It's one nomination per person.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Tommyknockers 4
    Maximum Overdrive 3
    The Mist 2
    Dreamcatcher 3
    The Stand miniseries 2
    Thinner 2
    The TV Miniseries of The Shining 4
    The IT miniseries 5
    Kingdom Hospital 2
    Christine 1
    Apt Pupil 2
    The Shining (1980) 1
    Cat's Eye 2
    The Langoliers 1
    'Salem's Lot Miniseries 1

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNING'S CHILDE View Post
    I have to agree with Brice, If there are so many abominable SK films, why do we all still watch every one that comes out. More than that we discuss how good/bad it will be for months before it comes out, and then discuss how good/bad it was for the next couple months.
    Perhaps we watch them because we are hoping that since the source material is often so good that the adaptation will be worthy of our time. Perhaps we watch them because the good ones like Shawshank and Stand By Me show us that making adaptations of King's works can be done correctly.

I don't see what the problem is with legitimate criticism. I criticize King's source material (and yes, I read every one that comes out) so why wouldn't I criticize adaptations of it. That I read it or watched it doesn't automatically make it good.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That I'll agree with. My statement was just personal opinion; I haven't found one I didn't like...although I gave up comparing the movies to their sources long ago. There are some I don't like as much as others, but none I don't like.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

That's completely fair Brice. Of course, I could probably still take a list of movies I like and rank them in terms of which I liked more than others, but I think it's apparent by now that I am a bit obsessed with analysis.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I could rank them as average; or above or below average, but what I can't do is say I liked this one BEST or WORST because I do truly enjoy them all. If I'm comparing two I probably could most of the time, but not comparing them all.

If you rescue me

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with Brice. I do not compare the cinematic versions to the books more than casually. I watch the movie versions and base my judgement on their merit alone. Some are OK, some Good, some Great. I don't understand why some people seem to make it a mission in life to bash every adaptation that doesn't strictly follow the book. I do not know of a single movie that totally follows the written word it's based on. Just not possible IMHO of course. :-)

So no vote for me! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

For me it's not a matter of how strictly they follow the source material. I love Kubrick's The Shining though it differs greatly from King's. Coversely, I am one of a very small group of people who didn't care for the movie version of The Green Mile which didn't differ from the book in any perceptible way.

In my analytical model it's not a matter of how closely an adaptation mirrors the source material but how effectively it uses the crux of the source material. What I'm saying is that I judge them in part on their own merits, and in part on their effectiveness as adaptations. I think that's perfectly fair.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's why I won't second The Shining (1980). But there have been some dreadful movies made from King works.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate Desperation and second Christine.
    Heng Dai

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast