PDA

View Full Version : Book Signings and Appearances-Tips and experiences

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

TwistedNadine
06-27-2012, 08:30 AM
I remember Jerome standing in the parking garage with a Magic Marker mumbling something about not wanting to haul around a bunch of other people's books and looking like he was having an epiphany.

Although thats funny I wonder how many bogus sellers will actually do just that. Those Sharpie sigs dont look very hard to copy.

Patrick
06-27-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't know, so I wouldn't buy one unless I knew and trusted the seller.

wizardsrainbow
06-27-2012, 08:36 AM
JEROME! May I speak with you....lol

Patrick
06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
:lol:

If you look at the signature he put in my U.S. TWTTKH on Friday night (outside the men's room, posted upthread here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1148-Book-Signings-and-Appearances-Tips-and-experiences&p=708133&viewfull=1#post708133)), it looks rushed and the swoop at the end of "Stephen" changes its trajectory rather sharply. I wouldn't be surprised if people would think it were fake, but Jerome and I watched him sign it.

bdwyer19
06-27-2012, 09:03 AM
David - Any chance you could post a picture of what the signature looks like on your signed UK Night Shift?

wizardsrainbow
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, I just took pictures of my first 5 King novels sigs for both US and UK...look for them soon in Pride & Joy thread

wizardsrainbow
06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
ok, here is the signature.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Night_Shift_UK_1st.jpg

Shannon
06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Wow, lol.

bdwyer19
06-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Yikes! Certainly not his best.

Randall Flagg
06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I remember looking at it when King signed it, thinking, ouch, that's not his best. But it's real. I thought King signed quite nicely on my Gunslinger, but it was a nice pen (thanks tippy4). Even then he signed at an angle that shows he was standing when he signed it, not sitting at a table like at the Mason event.

tippy4
06-27-2012, 03:14 PM
You are welcome Jerome and Patrick!

I was ticked (not at you guys of course) that you guys got books signed (with my pen) and King walked right by me like I was invisible....but by the end of the weekend, I had three signed books in my possesion, and a good time to remember...so how I can I be mad?

Rahfa
06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
That's why I'm glad I haven't been at an event like that - because I guarantee that I couldn't bring myself to be aggressive enough to stick my book in his hands....you must never hesitate...

Merlin1958
06-27-2012, 03:44 PM
You are welcome Jerome and Patrick!

I was ticked (not at you guys of course) that you guys got books signed (with my pen) and King walked right by me like I was invisible....but by the end of the weekend, I had three signed books in my possesion, and a good time to remember...so how I can I be mad?

You shoulda tackled him, Rick. You got the size and weight on him easy!! LOL

Edit: I'm keeping my stub as provenance, as the sigs were sloppy. In his defense though the "signing" was a mad house and he did his best to sign as much as he could in the time he was out there. Mayhem just doesn't quite describe how it was!!!

tippy4
06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
That's why I'm glad I haven't been at an event like that - because I guarantee that I couldn't bring myself to be aggressive enough to stick my book in his hands....you must never hesitate...

I made up for my lack of aggression the next day at the ALA event when I snuck up on King after the show.

Randall Flagg
06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
It was cutthroat. I shoved 3 old ladies and the guy in a wheelchair they had with them aside. They actually knocked over the blind guy who had a King book in braille. None of the five got an autograph-but I did!

tippy4
06-27-2012, 07:56 PM
I took a co-worker with me to the event, and I keep telling everyone around the office that she shoved a handicapped nun out of her way to get my Gunslinger signed.

Brice
06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Well, would the blind guy have known if King signed his book?

Ok, that was mean. :(

Shannon
06-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Do they make Stephen King books in Braille? As cool as that would be, I'm hoping for a no so that I don't have to search them out later on to complete my Stephen King Braille sub-collection.

Brice
06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Yes, they do. I'm not sure if they're available for sale to the public though. They mostly go to libraries. An average King book might be about five volumes of Braille.

stkmw02
06-28-2012, 02:12 AM
In terms of libraries, most (public, school, and academic) only obtain braille versions of works if there is no audio edition available or if they serve a number of visually impaired users. For example, the district I work in had no braille copies available until a blind student enrolled. While they have audiobooks available to her for recreational listening, they needed to obtain the curriculum materials in braille so that she could "read" them... since there is a difference between listening and reading, even in braille. I know that some companies produce Braille versions of the works in bound copies, while others provide digital copies to be printed on a braille printer. However, from my understanding, braille editions are provided on an as-needed basis? Which would mean, though there may be only a few of them existing (currently one is on Amazon - probably a braille printer version since it says "loose leaf"), they would not be rare if more could be printed on demand. Plus, there are Braille services that translate ANY work into braille - some for free - under a copyright loophole that meets the American's with Disabilities Act.

Shannon
06-28-2012, 02:19 AM
"I'm not sure if they're available for sale to the public though."

Oh my God, are you saying ... they're rarer than proofs? We're all screwed now.

Stockerlone
06-28-2012, 04:42 AM
In Germany, 5 SK books are ´available´ in Braille, but it´s not possible to become them.

Brice
06-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Of course it's possible...if you turn to crime. :evil:

herbertwest
06-28-2012, 07:33 AM
In terms of libraries, most (public, school, and academic) only obtain braille versions of works if there is no audio edition available or if they serve a number of visually impaired users. For example, the district I work in had no braille copies available until a blind student enrolled. While they have audiobooks available to her for recreational listening, they needed to obtain the curriculum materials in braille so that she could "read" them... since there is a difference between listening and reading, even in braille. I know that some companies produce Braille versions of the works in bound copies, while others provide digital copies to be printed on a braille printer. However, from my understanding, braille editions are provided on an as-needed basis? Which would mean, though there may be only a few of them existing (currently one is on Amazon - probably a braille printer version since it says "loose leaf"), they would not be rare if more could be printed on demand. Plus, there are Braille services that translate ANY work into braille - some for free - under a copyright loophole that meets the American's with Disabilities Act.

About disabled people, in France there are some non profit organisation that records audiobooks for disabled people. Then, obviously those books cannot be found in the market, those can only be borrowed by disabled.

TwistedNadine
06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
It was cutthroat. I shoved 3 old ladies and the guy in a wheelchair they had with them aside. They actually knocked over the blind guy who had a King book in braille. None of the five got an autograph-but I did!

lol.

Little story: At the event some guy, looking like he's about to cry, is standing next to my daughter having what looks to be a rather emotional chat. I step in (mommy protector) and he's waving a Castle Rock issue in front of me saying "see see" Im looking at him and looking at my daughter like "what the f.. is he talking about??" well turns out that this guy did my daughter a favor by getting her (my) book signed. She's kinda short and was getting lost in the crowd so he decides to be a hero and grabbed her (my) book and got King to sign it. And you can guess what happened next - because he got his one signature (my book) he didnt get a sig on his Castle Rock.

Im not sure what he as expecting - maybe he was hoping we would give him one of our signed books or something, I dont know, but the Italian New York Bitch that still resides in my subconscious came out full force and I said something like "oh thats too bad but thanks for helping my daughter" and I grabbed her arm and hauled her away.

I hope that wasnt one of our members here - then I might feel guilty - but at the same time imho you have to pick your moments of heroism. It was very nice of him to help my daughter but sometimes at these signings it doesnt pay to be nice.

Stockerlone
06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
GUILTY...... but LUCKY and clever !!!! :tongue1:

Shannon
06-28-2012, 09:11 AM
A hero isn't a hero if he expects something in return. :)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-28-2012, 11:07 AM
...but that was the last of my 55 issues of Castle Rock that I wanted signed. :(

Brice
06-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Clearly you didn't want it signed badly enough if you were feeling heroic. :P

Randall Flagg
06-28-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm guessing he didn't get your phone #?

TwistedNadine
06-28-2012, 03:22 PM

I dont think it was MY phone number he wanted. Im like "get away from my daughter A...hole before I shank you"
Seriously, not sure what the ulterior motive was but my gut tells me there was one so he got classic NY 'Tude.

Merlin1958
06-28-2012, 04:23 PM

I dont think it was MY phone number he wanted. Im like "get away from my daughter A...hole before I shank you"
Seriously, not sure what the ulterior motive was but my gut tells me there was one so he got classic NY 'Tude.

What part of NY you originally from TN?

TwistedNadine
06-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Long Island with "time spent" in Manhattan Brooklyn Queens etc. Im 3d generation italian - grandparents all from Sicily. Think Godfather and it does pretty much personify a potion of my childhood. Even had a few uncles 'wacked' though didnt find out about that until years later. At the time I thought they had bad accidents. Dont miss the drama (and lord knows Italians can be dramatic) but I do miss the food. You just cant find decent Italian food in SoCal. Nothing that tastes authentic.

stkmw02
06-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I love to visit NY (and do, often... my sister-in-law lives around 80th and York) but I don't think I could ever live there.

EXPLORER
06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Long Island with "time spent" in Manhattan Brooklyn Queens etc. Im 3d generation italian - grandparents all from Sicily. Think Godfather and it does pretty much personify a potion of my childhood. Even had a few uncles 'wacked' though didnt find out about that until years later. At the time I thought they had bad accidents. Dont miss the drama (and lord knows Italians can be dramatic) but I do miss the food. You just cant find decent Italian food in SoCal. Nothing that tastes authentic. OK ...now thev question must be asked....Where on Long Island? bILL AND i JUST HAD THIS DISCUSION WHILE DRIVING FROM la TO pHOENIX? Both frrom LI..... gotta feel the LI NY connexction?

Merlin1958
06-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Long Island with "time spent" in Manhattan Brooklyn Queens etc. Im 3d generation italian - grandparents all from Sicily. Think Godfather and it does pretty much personify a potion of my childhood. Even had a few uncles 'wacked' though didnt find out about that until years later. At the time I thought they had bad accidents. Dont miss the drama (and lord knows Italians can be dramatic) but I do miss the food. You just cant find decent Italian food in SoCal. Nothing that tastes authentic. OK ...now thev question must be asked....Where on Long Island? bILL AND i JUST HAD THIS DISCUSION WHILE DRIVING FROM la TO pHOENIX? Both frrom LI..... gotta feel the LI NY connexction?

Yes sir!!! Personally, Deer Park by way of Brentwood here!!! Wife from Lynbrook. We both worked in the city!!

TwistedNadine
06-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Hmm the island seems to breed King collectors.

I clearly heard Bill's NY accent but didnt pick one up from you Explorer.

Born in Rockville center but most of my time spent in Valley Stream. But the Family (the literally hundreds of em who all seemed to be named either Tony, Frankie, Angelo or Maria with a couple of Old Timer Giuseppes) all lived in Brooklyn. At the time I thought my family pretty much owned Brooklyn. Love NY and miss it. But I do think CA is a better place to raise kids.

Merlin1958
06-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Hmm the island seems to breed King collectors.

I clearly heard Bill's NY accent but didnt pick one up from you Explorer.

Born in Rockville center but most of my time spent in Valley Stream. But the Family (the literally hundreds of em who all seemed to be named either Tony, Frankie, Angelo or Maria with a couple of Old Timer Giuseppes) all lived in Brooklyn. At the time I thought my family pretty much owned Brooklyn. Love NY and miss it. But I do think CA is a better place to raise kids.

So you' were a "Gina, wit da four foot hair"!!! LOL No, "Paulie"? LOL So, you lived in my wife's neighborhood!! Cool!!! Deer Park was a very "Italian" town!! Had a "Boss" living around the corner from me. 3 RV's always parked on the block!!! My daughter played with his daughter!! Forget his name right now, but they finally nabbed him around 1999. Gambino family as I recall. LOL

Ricky
06-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Bill, when I was in NYC last week, there were some guys talking behind a hotdog cart in a dark alley saying something about making "Bender an offer he can't refuse."

Merlin1958
06-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Bill, when I was in NYC last week, there were some guys talking behind a hotdog cart in a dark alley saying something about making "Bender an offer he can't refuse."

:belial:

Stockerlone
06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
One of the best bookpremiere events i visit.
Hachez Chocoversum / Choclatemuseum Hamburg
Krimineller Reiseführer HAMBURG / criminal travelguide
Bookpremiereevent with 5 Authors:

Eva Almstädt,
Monika Buttler,
Walter M. Dobrow,
Norbert Klugmann,
Regula Venske
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4576.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4572.JPG

An amazing 3 hrs event. Each of the 5 authors read one of his in Hamburg located Crime storys.
In the small breaks, Walter M. Dobrow, one of the authors played guitar and sang some ´Crime´songs
for example: Criminal Tango:cool:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4564.JPG

In the longer half-time break (When drinking champagne and eating chocolate.) it was possible to speak with the writers and get signatures. Mrs. Venske had remembered me from another event.
Unfortunately I missed the also present illustrator but i become SOME signatures in SOME books.

Hachez Chocoversum
http://www.hachez-chocoversum.de/de/galerie.html
During the reading there was a nice dia projection of images from the book.

During the presentation there was a dia projection were shown images from the book, exactly matching the read aloud book site.
Norbert Klugmann

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4562.JPG

Mr. Klugmann signed me some other books with his storys:
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4577.JPG

Der Heilige von Hummelsbüttel + Hamm - Saga
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4580.JPG

Schöne Bescherung
(Christmas Crime Storys) first + second edition
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4697.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4698.JPG

Ticket + Flyer

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4583.JPG

Monika Buttler
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4567.JPG

Monika Buttler - Bei Lesung Mord
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/PICT4578.JPG

EXPLORER
06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Great stories, everyone! So... what happened to the signed lithograph that was supposed to be sold at the event? Did anyone get one?

There were none for sale at the event (which surprised me) but Explorer mentioned in an earlier post that he was able to order one at the event.

I was not actually able to order one at the event. I made a contact who gave me his card & email address to get with to arrange for Lithograph purchase. I did not reply about this previously because I actually misplaced his card until about an hour ago. I emailed and recieved a quick response about purchasing. I also asked if I could share his contact info with some other VIP ticket holders. He said , "Yes, please do.." So here it is.
Ted Habte-Gabr,
Producer,
Live Talks Los Angeles
Co-presented by KPCC & KCET
ted@livetalksla.org
Tel: 323-791-2584

and FYI: Twistednadine..... in regards to Long Island I spent my first 19 years in Huntington area.... East Nortport to be exact. It was a great place to grow up and go to school, etc. and love to visit still whenever we can.

Merlin1958
06-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote: and FYI: Twistednadine..... in regards to Long Island I spent my first 19 years in Huntington area.... East Nortport to be exact. It was a great place to grow up and go to school, etc. and love to visit still whenever we can.

Here, Here!!! They don't call it the "Left Coast" for nothing!!!! LOL I lived and labored in NY/NYC for 45+ years and raised 2 kids to adulthood there!!! East Coast, Baby!!! LOL LOL

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Brice
06-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Im 3d generation italian - grandparents all from Sicily. Think Godfather and it does pretty much personify a potion of my childhood. Even had a few uncles 'wacked' though didnt find out about that until years later. At the time I thought they had bad accidents. Dont miss the drama (and lord knows Italians can be dramatic) but I do miss the food. You just cant find decent Italian food in SoCal. Nothing that tastes authentic.

LOL I'm 3rd gen. Sicilian too...at least on my mother's side. One of my uncle's "job" was ummm... wacking. My family isn't from NY though, but Boston.

I don't miss the food though. When I do I make it myself from scratch. This is rare though due to time involved.

tippy4
06-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Anybody get their signed litho yet?

I live just outside L.A., and nothing yet....I was told they would all ship by today.

Any day now I would guess.

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
LOL I'm 3rd gen. Sicilian too...at least on my mother's side. One of my uncle's "job" was ummm... wacking. My family isn't from NY though, but Boston.

I don't miss the food though. When I do I make it myself from scratch. This is rare though due to time involved.

Boston! OMG My family and your family were probably at war all the time Brice. Maybe one of your uncles wacked one of mine.
But how could you not miss the food?
My grandmother used to spend all day just making the pasta sauce. Using canned ingredients was sacrilegious. Although she did teach me a lot I dont have the time (nor the inclination) to be in the kitchen 24/7

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 07:46 AM
I live just outside L.A., and nothing yet....I was told they would all ship by today.

I was also told they shipped out yesterday. This was sent to me by Ted for those Litho buyers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/photo_53_.JPG

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 07:53 AM
I was not actually able to order one at the event.

and FYI: Twistednadine..... in regards to Long Island I spent my first 19 years in Huntington area.... East Nortport to be exact. It was a great place to grow up and go to school, etc. and love to visit still whenever we can.

Funny, we were never really on that side of the island. Lived for a little while in both Freeport and Baldwin (yes we moved around a lot) but I havent been back for years. I hear the drive ins are all gone. But I hear the park (with a great ice skating lake) and public pool that was right around the corner from us in Valley Stream is still there. Lots of fond memories.
What happened to your NY accept?

Re the Litho - Thanks I was able to hook up with Ted and order one at the VIP ticket holder price. Yahoo!

Brice
06-30-2012, 07:57 AM

I was also told they shipped out yesterday. This was sent to me by Ted for those Litho buyers:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/photo_53_.JPG

:thumbsup: That is very cool!

Boston! OMG My family and your family were probably at war all the time Brice. Maybe one of your uncles wacked one of mine.
But how could you not miss the food?
My grandmother used to spend all day just making the pasta sauce. Using canned ingredients was sacrilegious. Although she did teach me a lot I dont have the time (nor the inclination) to be in the kitchen 24/7

Oh, I miss having it often. It's actually pretty rare that I cook at all. It's just that if I really get motivated I can always make my own. And yes, canned anything is sacrilege. I won't even use a pasta machine. Really though so much time is involved at most I might really go all out cooking a couple times a year.
Now there's a lovely thought to bring us together. :lol: Not improbable though. At one point I think ALL of my uncles and cousins were locked away somewhere. LOL I was mistaken though in one regard, it was my greatgrandparents that came directly from Sicily, not my grandparents...so I am fourth gen. Sicilian.

tippy4
06-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I find myself missing the "high" I felt last weekend.

Geting King to sign my books, meeting people that I had not met in person....even the crappy music.

Damn it! I want more.

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Now there's a lovely thought to bring us together. :lol: Not improbable though. At one point I think ALL of my uncles and cousins were locked away somewhere. LOL I was mistaken though in one regard, it was my greatgrandparents that came directly from Sicily, not my grandparents...so I am fourth gen. Sicilian.

Did you ever look up the Ellis Island records for your great grandparents when they came over? I found my grandparents and printed it out along with some other family history. Kinda cool.
Did you guys have the massive block parties? Our block parties in Brooklyn were outrageous. Streets blocked off and food for as far as the eyes can see. And all of them related to me in some way = "oh im your great uncles son's second cousin..." With the bear hugs and cheek kisses and waving hands (true Italian style).
I do miss it.

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Geting King to sign my books, meeting people that I had not met in person....even the crappy music.
Damn it! I want more.

Right? If theres not another signing soon then we need to figure out a TDT get together and make our own party.

tippy4
06-30-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm scouring the internet for my next "fix".

I'm thinking Dean Koontz. He lives within 50 miles of me...and has a new book coming out next month......

It's not King....but it might get me though to the next one!

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm scouring the internet for my next "fix".

I'm thinking Dean Koontz. He lives within 50 miles of me...and has a new book coming out next month......

It's not King....but it might get me though to the next one!

Brad Thor is doing a signing on Aug 2 at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley. I havent read any of his books but my daughters boyfriend is a huge fan so we plan on going. Truthfully doesnt sound like anything like the RBR M&G tho.

Brice
06-30-2012, 08:30 AM

Did you ever look up the Ellis Island records for your great grandparents when they came over? I found my grandparents and printed it out along with some other family history. Kinda cool.
Did you guys have the massive block parties? Our block parties in Brooklyn were outrageous. Streets blocked off and food for as far as the eyes can see. And all of them related to me in some way = "oh im your great uncles son's second cousin..." With the bear hugs and cheek kisses and waving hands (true Italian style).
I do miss it.

We did, but unfortunately I remember little of it. My older brothers do, but we left Boston when I was like five. I barely know any of my family beyond my mom and my brothers. I know some of my family in Boston is like on facebook and all, but I've never really made any effort to contact those people. I'd feel awkward 35 years later coming at them.

I may have to look into the Ellis island records. I honestly never even thought to do that before. I know one of my aunts has done some extensive work on a family tree as a hobby for years though.

Cook
06-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Damn it! I want more.

Right? If theres not another signing soon then we need to figure out a TDT get together and make our own party.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brice
06-30-2012, 08:32 AM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I was already planning to start a thread to gauge interest in such a thing later today. :)

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 08:41 AM
I barely know any of my family beyond my mom and my brothers. I know some of my family in Boston is like on facebook and all, but I've never really made any effort to contact those people.

Same here - once we relocated to SoCal we lost touch with pretty much everyone. And of course many have passed. My grandparents generation are all gone, and most of my mothers generation, too. And it seems the later generations dont really have the interest - too wrapped up in their own lives and immediate family (Im guilty of it too).

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 08:42 AM
I was already planning to start a thread to gauge interest in such a thing later today. :)

Yeah! Do it! I know there was talk in one of the threads about a Vegas get together...

DYBBUKIM
06-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Damn it! I want more.

Rick, I know what you mean. I drove down from San Francisco with my son for the concert, more or less just to meet Stephen King, not expecting really to get anything signed (although I did :), I got my WTTKH Grant Artist's edition signed).

It was good meeting you and others. My son, David, misses it more. He got an autograph for another board member, as I had only one book with me, and made his first payday, $25. He also got to shake King's hand, which at age 11 is pretty priceless.

And I got a picture "with" King. What more can anyone ask for?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/dybbukim/IMG_3592.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/dybbukim/IMG_3593.jpg

Shannon
06-30-2012, 10:53 AM
"He got an autograph for another board member, as I had only one book with me, and made his first payday, $25."

DYBBUKIM ... Your kid missed out on at least another hundred and twenty-five bucks, depending on the book ... :(

In regards to the Long Island discussion above ... I'M from Long Island also! I was born there, lived in Centereach, and my mom's mom lived in Islip. My mom's side of the family was into "the business" also, and one of my grandmother's brothers was stabbed and killed. Ridiculous! Anyway, around age ten my dad got a promotion and we all moved to North Carolina. But I'm part of the LI club too, so ha! :)

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Wow you got a picture with King! I didnt think anyone got the chance to do that. Congrats!
That second picture reminds me of just how chaotic it was...

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I'M from Long Island also!

See, the island DOES breed King collectors.

DYBBUKIM
06-30-2012, 11:01 AM
More chaos:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/dybbukim/IMG_3597.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/dybbukim/IMG_3596.jpg

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Is that sgc1999 in that bottom one?

Randall Flagg
06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Yes it is.

Merlin1958
06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I was on the podium thing immediately to his left. I had to reach in front of the guy w/glasses

carlosdetweiller
06-30-2012, 01:30 PM
That guy with glasses looks like Bev Vincent. Was he there too?

sgc1999
06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Lol. Nice pic! Good times! Good times!

TwistedNadine
06-30-2012, 01:36 PM

He said he wasnt. But the guy with the glasses looks familiar to me, too.

Merlin1958
06-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Well, he's burned into my memory as he just wouldn't get OUT OF THE WAY!!!! LOL

sgc1999
06-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Oh, forgot to thank you Merlin, for hooking me up with a good spot to see the show:)

Merlin1958
06-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh, forgot to thank you Merlin, for hooking me up with a good spot to see the show:)

My pleasure!!! Great to meet you as well!!!

tippy4
06-30-2012, 03:49 PM

I am pretty sure that is Sam Barry...Dave Barry's brother....the husband of the band member that died.

Merlin1958
06-30-2012, 06:12 PM

I am pretty sure that is Sam Barry...Dave Barry's brother....the husband of the band member that died.

Ok Rick. Way to make me feel bad. And here I thought you and I were "bonding" LOL Just kidding, I am sorry for their loss. Death in any sense sucks. I recently lost my Mom, so I can relate.

stkmw02
06-30-2012, 06:53 PM
My friend Nancy Everhart sent me this one today from the ALA event.
http://i46.tinypic.com/210cdub.jpg

Any idea where I can get one of those shirts?? I totally dig it!

Merlin1958
06-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Maybe somewhere in Boston, But BOSTON SUCKS!!!!! LOL

tippy4
06-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah....King had his Gilead Gunslingers shirt on.....a step up from the ratty tshirt he had on the night before.

Brice
07-01-2012, 01:42 AM
My friend Nancy Everhart sent me this one today from the ALA event.
http://i46.tinypic.com/210cdub.jpg

I love mine! :D

http://www.redbubble.com/people/losthero/works/8764451-the-nineteenth-inning

stkmw02
07-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Niiice. Thanks for the link! I causally mentioned to my husband how much I enjoy this t-shirt. He's pretty good at picking up on subtle hints like that. lol

Randall Flagg
07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
They were sold on Teefury, but I believe it was a one day shot. I have a new on but it is XXL. Would probably only fit you during your last trimester.

EDIT. Brice hooked you up. My mistake on the teefury.

TwistedNadine
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah....King had his Gilead Gunslingers shirt on.....a step up from the ratty tshirt he had on the night before.

Ha ha. I thought the same thing. What the hell was on that shirt anyway? Butterflies and flowers?

Randall Flagg
07-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Venus fly trap.

stkmw02
07-01-2012, 09:07 AM
RF - Thanks!! I'm planning to wear togas when I'm too large for my regular outfits. ;)

I think the shirt from the first night was venus flytraps? At least that's what it looked like in photos.

TwistedNadine
07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
I think the shirt from the first night was venus flytraps

Oh. Thats a bit more palatable. Still an odd choice of attire tho

sgc1999
07-01-2012, 12:06 PM
:harrier::harrier::harrier::harrier::harrier:

"The boys are back in town, the boys are back in town..."

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/sgc1999/IMG_4780.jpg

stkmw02
07-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Shouldn't this be in Where's the beef? ;)

Is that you in the RedRum shirt? If so, I think you have the same ring as my husband! His is black with a single diamond in it. I know, that's what I notice in this picture?

P.S. You must all be very short men. I know Bill is only about 5'5.

sgc1999
07-01-2012, 02:30 PM
LOL, Hey im 6' even. He is a very large man:)

Randall Flagg
07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
PS. You must all be very short men. I know Bill is only about 5'5.
My camera is "bigger" than those other guys.

Randall Flagg
07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
For the record, Bill is ~6'9", Patrick is ~6'1", SGC1999 is 6', I am 5'10" and EXPLORER is 5"1"-yes he diminutive.:)

sgc1999
07-01-2012, 04:47 PM
PS. You must all be very short men. I know Bill is only about 5'5.
My camera is "bigger" than those other guys.

LOL:)

Merlin1958
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
:harrier::harrier::harrier::harrier::harrier:

"The boys are back in town, the boys are back in town..."

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k599/sgc1999/IMG_4780.jpg

Looks like a pic from the set of "The Hobbit"!!! Even I was surprised!!!

Oh, and the camera adds 20 pds!!! LOL

Merlin1958
07-01-2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmPhJkdTwU

Brice
07-01-2012, 09:36 PM
They were sold on Teefury, but I believe it was a one day shot. I have a new on but it is XXL. Would probably only fit you during your last trimester.

EDIT. Brice hooked you up. My mistake on the teefury.

No, actually you were right, but a lot of those one/two day only shirts on teefury somehow end up on redbubble. :) Good thing to keep in mind if you ever miss a teefury shirt you like.

Patrick
07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
For the record, Bill is ~6'9", Patrick is ~6'1", SGC1999 is 6', I am 5'10" and EXPLORER is 5"1"-yes he diminutive.:)
Good guesses! Simon and I are the same height. I'm 6' even.

By the way, that pen in my shirt pocket is the one King used to sign Jerome's book and my book.

EXPLORER
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
For the record, Bill is ~6'9", Patrick is ~6'1", SGC1999 is 6', I am 5'10" and EXPLORER is 5"1"-yes he diminutive.:) RF, You might want to yank away my inches... HOWEVER, don't call me "diminutive".

sgc1999
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Mutiny amongst the men :panic:

EXPLORER
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
For the record, Bill is ~6'9", Patrick is ~6'1", SGC1999 is 6', I am 5'10" and EXPLORER is 5"1"-yes he diminutive.:) RF, You might want to yank away my inches... HOWEVER, don't call me "diminutive".
or perhaps I should say, "If you yank my inches, you'll see how cumulative I actually am ."

Patrick
07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
:lol:

Merlin1958
07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
or perhaps I should say, "If you yank my inches, you'll see how cumulative I actually am ."

From my standpoint, It takes a Big man to help another!!! Thanks, Jim & Deanna!!!

sgc1999
07-03-2012, 08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FmPhJkdTwU

Sweet!:)

tippy4
07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Just got my signed litho!

sgc1999
07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
:(Im so bummed i didnt get one

biomieg
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Just got my signed litho!

Pics or it didn't happen!

tippy4
07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7227/rbr.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/rbr.png/)

biomieg
07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks, it looks great! Congratulations!

Randall Flagg
07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Congratulations. What is the approximate size of the litho?

EXPLORER
07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
:(Im so bummed i didnt get one
I might still be able to get you one.

tippy4
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I think it is 11 x 17

Roseannebarr
07-03-2012, 03:31 PM
My $300 book package came in from the Rock Bottom Remainder Tour!

1st edition Signed 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Outstanding.
Scott Turow Paperback Innocent 2nd edition
Write that book already Sam Barry (original insight from Stephen King, etc... paperback 1st edition
Greg Iles The devils punchbow. paperback 2nd edition
Dave BArry Lunatics Hardback 1st edition
Amy Tan Paperback Saving Fish from Drowning 19th edition
Mitch Albom have a little faith hardback 1st edition
James McBride the color of water paperback 13th edition
Roy Blount Jr. hail hail euphoria 1st edition paperback
Matt Groenig Bart Simpson Out to lunch with a doodle
and missing Ridley Pearson book missed delivery deadline.

jhanic
07-03-2012, 03:32 PM
My set should be arriving soon!

John

Merlin1958
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Write that book already Sam Barry (original insight from Stephen King, etc... paperback 1st edition

Very Cool!!!! :emot-cthulhu:

Ben Staad
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7227/rbr.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/rbr.png/)

Congrats to both of you! These are very cool and seemed to be a good value as well.

Randall Flagg
07-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I want the lithograph, but the book selection doesn't seem worth $300 to me.

Patrick
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Congrats to you both! Looking forward to my lithograph package arriving in the next day or so. (No signed books for me, but I kind of wish I had ordered the package having now met some of these authors.)

Roseannebarr
07-03-2012, 06:53 PM

I agree. I was hoping for the wind through the keyhole. i was just glad 11/22/63 was a 1st edition. I thought it was worth a try. I even offered them to donate several books for signing but was turned down.

Merlin1958
07-03-2012, 06:58 PM

I agree. I was hoping for the wind through the keyhole. i was just glad 11/22/63 was a 1st edition. I thought it was worth a try. I even offered them to donate several books for signing but was turned down.

They all were signed books, though. Right? I suppose the PB were thrown in cause of the charity nature of the event.

tippy4
07-04-2012, 10:09 AM
So THIS (http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-ON-WRITING-A-Memoir-of-the-Craft-2000-HOW-TO-WRITE-BOOKS-/271010999282?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3f1983abf2#ht_4060wt_1173) GUY goes to the RBR event and brings an ON WRITING to have King sign so he can sell it?!?!

Of all the choices, this was about the worst he could make.

Roseannebarr
07-04-2012, 01:01 PM

They all were signed books, though. Right? I suppose the PB were thrown in cause of the charity nature of the event.

Yes all the books were signed by the Authors.

Randall Flagg
07-04-2012, 01:07 PM
So THIS (http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-ON-WRITING-A-Memoir-of-the-Craft-2000-HOW-TO-WRITE-BOOKS-/271010999282?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3f1983abf2#ht_4060wt_1173) GUY goes to the RBR event and brings an ON WRITING to have King sign so he can sell it?!?!

Perhaps only equaled by Faithful.

Merlin1958
07-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Perhaps only equaled by Faithful.

:emot-flame:

sgc1999
07-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Mr King, Mr King, could you sign this toilet paper ?...

tippy4
07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Can't blame a guy for trying....but this aint gonna happen....

SIGNED RBR BOOK PACKAGE (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-Bottom-Remainders-Signed-Lot-Stephen-King-11-22-63-Matt-Groening-drawing-/221064923899?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item33787f0afb#ht_1094wt_1173)

jhanic
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Agreed!

John

jhanic
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I got my books today. Well worth the price!

John

Randall Flagg
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0395.jpg

Patrick
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Congrats, John!

Jerome, that is clearly not from the recent event, so what is the story behind that signed RBR t-shirt?

Randall Flagg
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
It came with a package I bought a while back. I forgot about it until I was looking through my Collections thread. It's stored somewhere.

Patrick
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
It came with a package I bought a while back. I forgot about it until I was looking through my Collections thread. It's stored somewhere.
Isn't that the old rag you were using to wash your car that day I came over?

Ben Staad
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
I got my books today. Well worth the price!

John

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/IMG_0395.jpg

Very nice items!

stkmw02
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Awesome shirt!

DYBBUKIM
07-08-2012, 11:11 PM
There is a seller on ebay who claims to have gotten an autographed WTTKH in their RBR book package. Did anyone else get this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING-WIND-THROUGH-THE-KEYHOLE-FIRST-EDITION-2ND-PRINTING-/150852938650?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item231f892b9a

Merlin1958
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
There is a seller on ebay who claims to have gotten an autographed WTTKH in their RBR book package. Did anyone else get this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING-WIND-THROUGH-THE-KEYHOLE-FIRST-EDITION-2ND-PRINTING-/150852938650?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item231f892b9a

15 minutes of fame for the site!!! LOL Is he perchance a member?

Patrick
07-08-2012, 11:26 PM
My understanding is that most of the book packages had a signed 11/22/63, but that a very few contained a signed TWTTKH 2nd printing like the one in the linked auction.

Merlin1958
07-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Were the 11/22/63 books second or later printings as well, Patrick? If you know that is.

Patrick
07-08-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't know, Bill, other than that Roseannebarr said upthread that his book package came with a signed 11/22/63 that is a 1st.

p.s. My lithographs have still not arrived. :( I emailed the guy tonight. We'll see what happens.

Merlin1958
07-08-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't know, Bill, other than that Roseannebarr said upthread that his book package came with a signed 11/22/63 that is a 1st.

p.s. My lithographs have still not arrived. :( I emailed the guy tonight. We'll see what happens.

Oh, I thought cause you mentioned TWTTKH copies you knew something more. I guess I should have read more up-thread. My memory lately is like Swiss cheese!!!! LOL LOL

Patrick
07-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Oh, I thought cause you mentioned TWTTKH copies you knew something more. I guess I should have read more up-thread. My memory lately is like Swiss cheese!!!! LOL LOL
I got my info about the TWTTKH book packages from TwistedNadine's most recent post in the Classifieds thread. :D

p.s. I want my damned lithograph!

Merlin1958
07-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I C said the blind man!!!! LOL

jhanic
07-09-2012, 04:21 AM
I got a signed second printing of Wind with my package.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-09-2012, 05:45 AM
My memory lately is like Swiss cheese!!!! LOL LOL

I'm still waiting on that tenner you owe me.

:)

TwistedNadine
07-09-2012, 08:17 AM

Yes thats my auction.
Its a long boring story as to how I got wttkh but in summary there were 30 book packages sold. Of those about 20 were 11/22/63 (dont know how many were 1st printings) and the rest were wttkh but mostly 2nd printings.

Merlin1958
07-09-2012, 11:43 AM
My memory lately is like Swiss cheese!!!! LOL LOL

I'm still waiting on that tenner you owe me.

:)

Oh, I sent that out awhile ago. You never got it?

:biggrin1:

Patrick
07-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I received signed lithograph #169 of 270. It is very nicely done production - higher quality than I expected, actually.

My problem now is that the second lithograph wasn't included. I emailed the guy again.

Patrick
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
In the grand, new, curious tradition of trying to figure out who has what number of stuff...

Of the 270 limitation lithographs:

143 pasiuk

169 Patrick

171 TwistedNadine

? tippy4

? Randall Flagg

Anyone else around here order one or more of these?

Merlin1958
07-09-2012, 12:46 PM
No, not the "Litho's" I figured I got the "real deal" in a sig!!! You guys really impressed me with your enthusiasm!!!! Glad you don't feel as passionate about "Bon Jovi" LOL LOL LOL

Roseannebarr
07-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Yes thats my auction.
Its a long boring story as to how I got wttkh but in summary there were 30 book packages sold. Of those about 20 were 11/22/63 (dont know how many were 1st printings) and the rest were wttkh but mostly 2nd printings.

I would love to know how you got them to get you wttkh. when i asked he said you get what you get! I was able to order another book package tonight and i am getting twthkh!!!!

My 11/22/63 was a first printing first edition signed in my RBR package.

Patrick
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I hope that guy sorts out the issues with incomplete book packages and missing lithographs before he commits to selling additional product at this point.

Anyway, congrats, Roseannebarr. That'll be your second book package, right? Did you order a litho as well?

Roseannebarr
07-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I hope that guy sorts out the issues with incomplete book packages and missing lithographs before he commits to selling additional product at this point.

Anyway, congrats, Roseannebarr. That'll be your second book package, right? Did you order a litho as well?

No lithograph. I was able to convince him, becuz my package was messed up. :)

TwistedNadine
07-09-2012, 06:13 PM

No word back on your missing litho?
My book packages were missing Amy Tan and Greg Ilse books and one of the Sam Berry books wasnt signed.
He said he would have them later in the week...

TwistedNadine
07-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I would love to know how you got them to get you wttkh. when i asked he said you get what you get! I was able to order another book package tonight and i am getting twthkh!!!!

My 11/22/63 was a first printing first edition signed in my RBR package.

Just a matter of timing. I didnt want to buy a package with 11/22/63 and told him if it was wttkh I would buy several. So I got an email that he had gotten some wttkh from the publisher so I bought. Of course I just assumed they would be 1st printings - didnt even cross my mind that it might be a 2nd printing since there are plenty of 1sts still on the shelves...

Brice
07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
So if some people got 11/22/63 and some got TWTTKH, I wonder if everyone got the same books by the other authors.

sgc1999
07-10-2012, 06:23 AM
I got a fist edition signed Carrie in my package, was i the only one???

:lol::lol::lol:

jhanic
07-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Here is the book package that I got (all are signed):

The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King – 2nd printing - hardcover
Have a Little Faith – Mitch Albom – 1st printing – hardcover
Saving Fish from Drowning – Amy Tan – 20th printing – trade paperback
Lunatics – David Barry and Alan Zweibel – 1st printing – hardcover (signed only by Barry)
Innocent – Scott Turow – 3rd printing – trade paperback
The Risk Agent – Ridley Pearson – 1st printing – hardcover
Hail, Hail, Euphoria! Presenting the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup – Roy Blount Jr – 1st printing – trade paperback
Write That Book Already! – Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark – 1st printing trade paperback (only signed by Barry)
The Color of Water – James McBride – 14th printing – trade paperback
The Devil’s Punchbowl – Greg Iles – 3rd printing – trade paperback

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-10-2012, 07:44 AM

I hope it wasn't ruined by King's latest signature!

TwistedNadine
07-10-2012, 07:45 AM
John - didnt you get a book signed and doodled by Matt Groening? You should have. Other than King's book thats the only one worth anything.

My package was a little different.
I didnt get anything from Amy Tan, Greg Isles or Ridley Pearson. Need to follow up with him and get those books.

My Sam Barry book is called How To Play the Harmonica PB first and is mentioned on the front cover that he is the Harmonica player for Rock Bottom Remainders

The rest are the same.

sgc1999
07-10-2012, 08:02 AM

I hope it wasn't ruined by King's latest signature!

right.

jhanic
07-10-2012, 08:12 AM
John - didnt you get a book signed and doodled by Matt Groening? You should have. Other than King's book thats the only one worth anything.

My package was a little different.
I didnt get anything from Amy Tan, Greg Isles or Ridley Pearson. Need to follow up with him and get those books.

My Sam Barry book is called How To Play the Harmonica PB first and is mentioned on the front cover that he is the Harmonica player for Rock Bottom Remainders

The rest are the same.

I guess I'll have to contact him and see about the Groening book.

John

TwistedNadine
07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
John

If I dont hear from him by Thursday I will be emailing and calling him about my other books - let me know if you want me to nag him about yours too.

jhanic
07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
John

If I dont hear from him by Thursday I will be emailing and calling him about my other books - let me know if you want me to nag him about yours too.

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate it.

John

Randall Flagg
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
It sounds like the guy screwed up quite a bit on the orders.

Patrick
07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
It sounds like the guy screwed up quite a bit on the orders.
Agreed.

I am going to stay on him daily until I receive my other prepaid lithograph. It sounds like maybe he'll mail one out on Friday.

tippy4
07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I would not advise emaling him daily....you might end up one that is in less-than-pritine condtion.

Same reason I never piss off my waiter or waitress...don't want to get something I did not order if you know what I mean.

Patrick
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I would not advise emaling him daily....you might end up one that is in less-than-pritine condtion.

Same reason I never piss off my waiter or waitress...don't want to get something I did not order if you know what I mean.
I agree about not wanting to piss him off. I'm polite and easygoing, but I want to keep it on his radar before he runs out of the things. When I get a one-line response, "Hmmm.... I'll look into it." Then I feel that after a day goes by, it's time to inquire again about what he found out.

Randall Flagg
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
I agree with tippy4. This is the guy that rescinded my press pass when he found out I had already purchased a ticket (which I could have sold), then was chirpy about it.
Tread with caution.

EXPLORER
07-10-2012, 01:05 PM

I agree. I am of the "Kill them with Kindness" philosophy... It sometimes turns people (and jerks) around surprisingly and those it does not I often don't know about however Ihave not come to thier annoying level.
I have not recieved my lithos yet as I ordeed them fairly late (after event) however he was very responsive with discounts, messages, etc when available. I'm giving him the benefit of doubt until have reason not to. .................. not sure where I gained patience I once lacked..

Patrick
07-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not losing sleep over this, nor being heavy-handed, I just want to make sure he follows through. I don't think he is ill-intentioned nor a jerk, just kind of scattered and disorganized. I don't want it to fall through the cracks.

Roseannebarr
07-10-2012, 04:21 PM

I agree. I am of the "Kill them with Kindness" philosophy... It sometimes turns people (and jerks) around surprisingly and those it does not I often don't know about however Ihave not come to thier annoying level.
I have not recieved my lithos yet as I ordeed them fairly late (after event) however he was very responsive with discounts, messages, etc when available. I'm giving him the benefit of doubt until have reason not to. .................. not sure where I gained patience I once lacked..

I was sent an email offering the signed Lithos for $160 (including shipping) it looks like a generic email sent to everyone that purchased or attended the concert. . REceived it today.

Roseannebarr
07-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Here is the book package that I got (all are signed):

The Wind Through the Keyhole - Stephen King – 2nd printing - hardcover
Have a Little Faith – Mitch Albom – 1st printing – hardcover
Saving Fish from Drowning – Amy Tan – 20th printing – trade paperback
Lunatics – David Barry and Alan Zweibel – 1st printing – hardcover (signed only by Barry)
Innocent – Scott Turow – 3rd printing – trade paperback
The Risk Agent – Ridley Pearson – 1st printing – hardcover
Hail, Hail, Euphoria! Presenting the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup – Roy Blount Jr – 1st printing – trade paperback
Write That Book Already! – Sam Barry and Kathi Kamen Goldmark – 1st printing trade paperback (only signed by Barry)
The Color of Water – James McBride – 14th printing – trade paperback
The Devil’s Punchbowl – Greg Iles – 3rd printing – trade paperback

John

TwistedNadine
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM

imo he does need frequent emails - though I think pleasant and even jovial is the best way to go. Call them gentle reminders or pleasant nudges but I think if not reminded often it may not get done

TwistedNadine
07-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Neil Gaiman VIP reception in Sept as part of the 2012 Fall for The Book event at George Mason. From what I understand if you did the King reception last year you are already a "Friend" so the cost is 100 for the reception. If you are not already a "friend" there is a minimum donation of 35 plus 100 for the reception (use the drop down to see the options). Not 100% on that but heres the link

http://www.fallforthebook.org/support-the-festival.php

EXPLORER
07-16-2012, 09:44 AM

OKAY>>>> Becoming less patient... I paid for lithos on 7/5/12 and they have not arrived yet. (Todays mail already delivered).
ANYONE KNOW what they use for shipping? UPS, USPS....1st class or media mail?

jhanic
07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
They sent the books from the RBR session via USPS, Media Mail.

John

EXPLORER
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM

John Thanks..... back to waiting..... Emailed Ted inquiring when, if, how .... and got answer, "They will be going out this week. We're shooting for Thursday."

Patrick
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Explorer, I took everyone's advice and did not email him daily. Unless it came today while I'm still at work, my other litho (bought and paid for in advance) has yet to arrive.

Randall Flagg
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM

John Thanks..... back to waiting..... Emailed Ted inquiring when, if, how .... and got answer, "They will be going out this week. We're shooting for Thursday."

Explorer, I took everyone's advice and did not email him daily. Unless it came today while I'm still at work, my other litho (bought and paid for in advance) has yet to arrive.
I recommend you email him and tell him you have already bought one from someone else, why did they get theirs and you don't have yours?
He will probably refund your money and say-"you already have one"......
Just kidding. Obviously I think the guy is an asshole, but people here have my negative experience to consider when dealing with him.
I never got "huffy puffy" with him, but he impresses me as a guy that (unless you are Stephen King), would likely tell you to "go fuck yourself" before he apologized.

TwistedNadine
07-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Picked up the rest of my books today (except Greg Isles). Also picked up Patrick's Litho - and would have grabbed yours too Explorer but didnt hear back on the PM. But he said he should get it out Thurs.
John - he thinks he sent you the missing Groening but wasnt sure. He said if you dont get it in the next few days email him again and he'll send it out.

Anyway, the books:
Amy Tan Hardback Saving Fish from Drowning 1st
Amy Tan PB Bonesetters daughter 10th
Ridley Pearson Hardback 2nd The Risk Agent

Roseannebarr
07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Picked up the rest of my books today (except Greg Isles). Also picked up Patrick's Litho - and would have grabbed yours too Explorer but didnt hear back on the PM. But he said he should get it out Thurs.
John - he thinks he sent you the missing Groening but wasnt sure. He said if you dont get it in the next few days email him again and he'll send it out.

Anyway, the books:
Amy Tan Hardback Saving Fish from Drowning 1st
Amy Tan PB Bonesetters daughter 10th
Ridley Pearson Hardback 2nd The Risk Agent

Did he say if he sent my package with the SK book TWtTHK? :) It should of been mailed late last week.

EXPLORER
07-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Thanks for your offer to intervine TN... my PM apparently did not go through...
After inquiring with Ted Monday I received two responses and an additional one yesterday (likely after you had been there and reminded him).
In that I had paid them for S/H I felt it might make sense to have them follow through.... Also, I felt if there are any issues with them I wil still have option to dispute with my CC. Again, Thanks as it would be nice to know they were in the hands of one who cares & values the collectable. Jim

TwistedNadine
07-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Did he say if he sent my package with the SK book TWtTHK? :) It should of been mailed late last week.

Sorry - I didnt ask about yours. Wasnt on my radar.

jhanic
07-18-2012, 07:37 AM

If I don't have the book by this coming Monday, I'll email him again. My Post Office branch is often notoriously slow in delivering packages.

John

TwistedNadine
07-18-2012, 07:55 AM
After inquiring with Ted Monday I received two responses and an additional one yesterday (likely after you had been there and reminded him).
In that I had paid them for S/H I felt it might make sense to have them follow through.... Also, I felt if there are any issues with them I wil still have option to dispute with my CC. Again, Thanks as it would be nice to know they were in the hands of one who cares & values the collectable. Jim

You know I do not believe there is a "them". From what I gathered it sounds like he's not just running the show but IS the show - one man band. It would also seem that the logistics of shipping and keeping track of the filled versus unfilled orders is not his forte.
Keeping that in mind I still think pleasant, non abrasive email reminders are probably the most effective.

Patrick
07-18-2012, 01:09 PM
I am less than impressed with the guy. I'll leave it at that.

Thank you, TwistedNadine, for obtaining my litho. I feel much better knowing it's in your hands now instead of his.

TwistedNadine
07-19-2012, 08:07 AM
I am less than impressed with the guy. I'll leave it at that.

Perhaps more will / should be said after everyone receives their merchandise.

Roseannebarr
07-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Sorry - I didnt ask about yours. Wasnt on my radar.

I was just teasing you. :) it is awful nice of you to take care of things the way you did! Did you ask if he had any more stephen king books? He said he was shipping mine tomorrow!

tippy4
07-19-2012, 08:34 PM
So the frame shop calls me today to tell me my RBR litho is ready for pick up.

I get there and it looks great....and then I notice an issue with the lower right hand corner....the rough edge of the print appears to be poking out from the mat a bit.

Looks like they either misaligned the mat, or they ordered one that is a hair too large.

Hoping they can fix it without ordering a new set of mats.

TwistedNadine
07-20-2012, 08:38 AM

I get there and it looks great....and then I notice an issue with the lower right hand corner....the rough edge of the print appears to be poking out from the mat a bit.

Looks like they either misaligned the mat, or they ordered one that is a hair too large.

You did a front matte covering the frayed edges? I liked the frayed edge effect and wanted to show that off so used a floating frame

TwistedNadine
07-20-2012, 08:41 AM
I was just teasing you. :) it is awful nice of you to take care of things the way you did! Did you ask if he had any more stephen king books? He said he was shipping mine tomorrow!

Sometimes you just gotta "take one for the team"
Of course I asked if he had more signed King books! He said no.
Glad yours is shipping out and hope Explorers was shipped out too

tippy4
07-20-2012, 11:13 AM

You did a front matte covering the frayed edges? I liked the frayed edge effect and wanted to show that off so used a floating frame

I did...I like the matted look...and the "frayed edge" aspect was not that interesting to me.

Also...I always use "preservation mounts", and I do not think you can do a "preservation mount" with a floating frame.

EDIT
Got the call from the frame shop...it is ready for pick up....will post pictures soon!

tippy4
07-20-2012, 04:40 PM
http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/3334/rbr1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/rbr1.jpg/)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9919/rbr2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/rbr2.jpg/)

A one-inch black diamond-plate mat (hard to see the pattern in this picture) followed by a eighth-inch red filet, and followed by a three-inch grey felt mat.

Merlin1958
07-20-2012, 04:59 PM
http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/3334/rbr1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/rbr1.jpg/)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9919/rbr2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/rbr2.jpg/)

A one-inch black diamond plate mat (hard to see the pattern) followed by a quarter-inch red filet, and followed by a three-inch grey felt mat.

Very, very handsome, Rick!!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Ben Staad
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Tippy! That is a wonderful frame job. I love everything about it. Congrats!

Stockerlone
07-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Looks NICE Congrats !!!!!

Cook
07-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Tippy! That is a wonderful frame job. I love everything about it. Congrats!

What he said :thumbsup: Excellent !

Patrick
07-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Looks great, Rick!

EXPLORER
07-23-2012, 09:31 AM

You know I do not believe there is a "them". From what I gathered it sounds like he's not just running the show but IS the show - one man band. It would also seem that the logistics of shipping and keeping track of the filled versus unfilled orders is not his forte.
Keeping that in mind I still think pleasant, non abrasive email reminders are probably the most effective.

I agree likely just him (Ted) rather than them...... and likely overwhelmed & unprepared, however I also agree, "pleasant, non abrasive email reminders are probably the most effective" at least until they have proven to have failed to get results. .
TED DID COME THROUGH... My two (2) lithographs arrived well protected in mailing tube today. #'s 205 & 206 are in my hands.
I also like seeing the two next to one another and clearly seeing each sigs variations.
Had not thought to ask if anyone knew who the charactor artist was.
Also find it interesting there is no title on these lithographs as compared to previous RBR posters typically do.

again Thanks TwistedNadine for you efforts & offers for assistance on behalf of others.

Ben Staad
07-23-2012, 09:54 AM
TED DID COME THROUGH... My two (2) lithographs arrived well protected in mailing tube today. #'s 205 & 206 are in my hands.

Glad you finally received the litho's!

TwistedNadine
07-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Had not thought to ask if anyone knew who the charactor artist was.
Also find it interesting there is no title on these lithographs as compared to previous RBR posters typically do.

Oh good! Glad they arrived safe.
Ted told me that the reason the band title is not on the litho is because the plan was to have the artist sign and BY HAND write in the band name on each litho.
Apparently a lot of work so the idea was dropped
The name of the artist is in the catalog blurb - dont remember it tho so as RF is fond of saying - refer to the catalog....

TwistedNadine
07-23-2012, 03:58 PM
John - did you get your Groening?

Roseannebarr
07-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Waiting on my Ridley Person book and my second set of books. :)

TwistedNadine
07-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Waiting on my Ridley Person book and my second set of books. :)

My Pearson ended up all 2nd printings but I think John got a first.
Looks like an interesting read

jhanic
07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Mine is a first.

I just got my Groening book today. It's a graphic novel, Bart Simpson Out to Lunch. It's a first printing large paperback, signed and remarqued (doodled?) by Groening.

John

TwistedNadine
07-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Glad it showed up John!

sgc1999
07-23-2012, 07:29 PM
got my lithographs today:) sweet!

Patrick
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Glad to hear you guys are receiving your items.

Thanks again to TN!

TwistedNadine
07-30-2012, 09:36 AM
got my lithographs today:) sweet!

Whats your numbers?

sgc1999
07-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Good question. I forgot to look..........(some time goes by).... im back, i have #225 and 226. :)

TwistedNadine
07-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Good question. I forgot to look..........(some time goes by).... im back, i have #225 and 226. :)

I think its cool that yours and explorers are in sequence.

sgc1999
07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
not a bad deal for $100 a piece i guess.

TwistedNadine
07-31-2012, 05:57 PM

Will be interesting to see where this goes. Perhaps will set the market

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-Matt-Groening-Rare-Signed-A-14X17-Lithograph-Rock-Bottom-Remainders-/280932491927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168e1a297

Merlin1958
08-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Will be interesting to see where this goes. Perhaps will set the market

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King-Matt-Groening-Rare-Signed-A-14X17-Lithograph-Rock-Bottom-Remainders-/280932491927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168e1a297

Can't help but wonder if that was one of the "Professional guys" outside the theater before and after the show. Remember? LOL LOL

Thelangoleer
08-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I'll be honest here and tell everyone I bid that up - the guy has two for sale - one for 750 bucks and one for a reserve price which is probably just as high.

TwistedNadine
08-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Can't help but wonder if that was one of the "Professional guys" outside the theater before and after the show. Remember? LOL LOL

I dont think so Merlin. Ted had mentioned to me that someone back east had ordered 10 lithos so Im guessing this is him. Quite a markup on his BINs but maybe his reserve auction will set a more realistic price

Roseannebarr
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM

I dont think so Merlin. Ted had mentioned to me that someone back east had ordered 10 lithos so Im guessing this is him. Quite a markup on his BINs but maybe his reserve auction will set a more realistic price

Still waiting on my book set. I emailed him each friday for two weeks. :( Are you sure you didnt pick up my SK book Twisted Nadine? :)

EXPLORER
08-04-2012, 08:57 AM

I would agree with TN.... there were not any lithographs available at the event (I inquired with Ted at The ElRey). The people waiting outside prior to the event did not have a chance to get that many signatures. Mr King was the only bandmember to venture outside the van when it first pulled up out back and only signed a couple dozen or so items (many movie posters & misc. items). When the vans pulled around up front and unloaded the majority of the band quickly entered the theatre. Groenig was the primary exception and spent quite a bit of time drawing & signing before going in. There were few guys who came with small canvases which he filled with sketches and signed.

Merlin1958
08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
I stand humbly corrected. Thanks, folks!!!!

tippy4
08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
The signed litho that is on open auction ends shorty...will be interesting to see final value.

LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/280932491927?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1188)

I am guessing between $200 and $300....but closer to $200.

TwistedNadine
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
RB - Guess Im Busted. From the profit I retired and now spend all day pool floating and drinking pina coladas
Explorer - I think a lot of orders were actually made prior to the event
Tippy - Id be surprised if it went to 200. Maybe if it wasnt a reserve auction...

Randall Flagg
08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
$172.50 and reserve not met. I am surprised it was even bid to that.

tippy4
08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm not surprised...I think that is not too far from my guess of just over $200.

Not many of these have shown up on ebay.....I bet a relist with a BIN of $200 would sell.

Patrick
08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
The quantity of lithographs available seemed sufficient to meet current demand. It will be interesting to see how these sell 6-12 months from now when they may be perceived as a more unique, collectible item.

TwistedNadine
08-08-2012, 07:19 AM
$172.50 and reserve not met. I am surprised it was even bid to that.

I think I saw a post where one of the members here was bidding it up but dont remember who that was

I would have to agree - I think 175-200 is about right but in 6-12 months it might be perceived as scarce and go for much more. imho the fact the band title is not on the litho hurts the value

namelessnpoor
08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
it has been relisted for starting bid of $300, but it now $350

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280937166638?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

tippy4
08-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Went to The Hope Solo book signing last night in Los Angeles at B&N.

She would not sign anything but the book she was promoting, but she was really good about posing for pictures.

Waited in line for about three hours total, and then hung around another 45 minutes to try and get a soccer ball signed....and actually got the signature.

It was not as much fun as the RBR events two months back...but fun nonetheless.

Patrick
08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Cool, Rick, take any pictures?

tippy4
08-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Went to The Hope Solo book signing last night in Los Angeles at B&N.

She would not sign anything but the book she was promoting, but she was really good about posing for pictures.

Waited in line for about three hours total, and then hung around another 45 minutes to try and get a soccer ball signed....and actually got the signature.

It was not as much fun as the RBR events two months back...but fun nonetheless.

Cool, Rick, take any pictures?

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6766/hope8.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/hope8.jpg/)

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9743/hope9.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/hope9.jpg/)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3043/hope6y.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/hope6y.jpg/)

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4050/hope2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/hope2.jpg/)

Patrick
08-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Very nice!

TwistedNadine
08-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Waiting Waiting Waiting

http://enterthepassage.com/tour/

Ricky
08-22-2012, 02:00 PM
You and me both, TN! I know the NYC and Philly venues, but they said info., etc. probably won't be released until a month before the event date. That doesn't keep me from checking the site every day, though!

TwistedNadine
08-22-2012, 02:04 PM
I tried calling the phone number too, got a voice mail and left a message. Figured it couldn't hurt. Would like to figure out which venue Im going to and book my flight.
God bless frequent flyer miles.

Ricky
08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
The publicity number on the site? I haven't tried that; figured I wouldn't get anywhere. I keep checking Justin's Facebook for updates, though. Every once in awhile there's a tidbit of info.

TwistedNadine
08-22-2012, 02:26 PM
The publicity number on the site? I haven't tried that; figured I wouldn't get anywhere. I keep checking Justin's Facebook for updates, though. Every once in awhile there's a tidbit of info.

Yep - Mr. David Moench. You're right - I didnt get anywhere but who knows, maybe he'll call back with venues, dates and times.
Though even if he did I wouldnt plan the trip until it was officially posted - things can change last minute - but it would at least be a start

Ricky
08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
I guess that would be smart, waiting until info. is officially posted. What state(s) were you hoping for?

Randall Flagg
08-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Waiting Waiting Waiting

I tried calling the phone number too, got a voice mail and left a message. Figured it couldn't hurt. Would like to figure out which venue Im going to and book my flight.

Yep - Mr. David Moench. You're right - I didnt get anywhere but who knows, maybe he'll call back with venues, dates and times.
Though even if he did I wouldnt plan the trip until it was officially posted - things can change last minute - but it would at least be a start
Don't bother "bothering" the publicity person. It isn't his fault, but they are not really set up for 100's+ of voice-mail from "fans".
Rest assured (90% certainty) he will do a 2 stop in California-NC and SoCal.

Merlin1958
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Waiting Waiting Waiting

Don't bother "bothering" the publicity person. It isn't his fault, but they are not really set up for 100's+ of voice-mail from "fans".

In which case you'll be "hooking an AZ buddy up, right"? I finally managed to get an ARC so I can send that to you, if you please, please, please!!! LOL

TwistedNadine
08-23-2012, 06:33 AM
I guess that would be smart, waiting until info. is officially posted. What state(s) were you hoping for?

If there's no signings here in the west Id love to get back to NY
Looks like Murder by the Book in TX is for sure on the tour though no set date yet.

TwistedNadine
08-23-2012, 06:35 AM

But I like bugging publicity people.
But good point - we dont want 100s of interested parties blowing up his phone.
I hope your right and he includes CA in the tour!

Bev Vincent
08-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Murder by the Book is my favorite bookstore -- I don't get to it often enough, but I'm going to make a point of going for Cronin.

I got my galley of The Twelve a few days ago. It's second in my TBR queue after the new Dennis Lehane.

Ricky
08-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Publicity people are the best people to bug. :)

But the less people interested in the signings, the better. More chances for us. :D

Merlin1958
08-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Publicity people are the best people to bug. :)

But the less people interested in the signings, the better. More chances for us. :D

Good point!!!!

Oh. and "The Dark Knight" is not dead. He's living "La Vida Loca"!!!! LOL LOL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47fEXGabaY

thegunslinger41
08-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Will have to check out Cronins tour sites...Murder by the Book is just down the street from me! I"ll be there.

-G

TwistedNadine
08-24-2012, 08:13 AM
HA!!

Just got a call back from the Solicitor and Cronin is confirmed to tour Los Angeles and San Diego in October!!

BUT - nothing firm for Northern CAL yet (sorry RF). That may change tho - they're working on it. Said all tour dates will be posted on Cronins site (and facebook) two to four weeks before book release (which is Oct 16)...

Bev Vincent
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
He told me: " I'm doing a joint event with Murder and Brazos. Not sure of the date off hand but it's in the last week of October, right around Texas Book Festival, which I'll also be doing."

Ricky
08-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Alright, Nadine! :clap:

Two to four weeks before the release? It might be just me, but I really don't think that's enough time.

pmtarantino
08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
I am in some kind of "trouble" in here.

I am a Harry Potter book collector from Argentina, I used to have a popular website in Spanish (she even sent me a signed book and a letter "as a mark of my grattitude" for what I've done, but I never met her.

J.k. Rowling is going to publish hew new book and do a signing in London on 27 september. Luckily, I get a ticket for that event, where she will be reading and signing a copy of the book per person.

The problem is I just visited Europe (and London) this last march, and coming back just for this event is something really expensive. I would be spending almost 1600 USD, when my monthly payment is 500 USD. I contacted her agents to see if there was a chance of a little meeting with her, in the backstage maybe, because i travel from far away, but they said it was impossible.

So, if I travel, I will only be present in the reading and after that, only a few seconds while she signs my book (maybe I can tell her who I am or from where I come), but nothing else.

I want to ask you, that have been in a lot of book signings and appearances and readings, is it worthly? Is it something great and unique and etc? Should I go?

PS: If I don't travel, i would get the dedicated book anyway, cause a friend of mine who lives in London will attend with my ticket and say my name in the signing moment. :)

ELazansky
08-24-2012, 10:37 AM
You and me both, TN! I know the NYC and Philly venues, but they said info., etc. probably won't be released until a month before the event date. That doesn't keep me from checking the site every day, though!

The Free Library of Philadelphia has the event posted on their website for October 20. It is free, but no mention if it is a signing or just a lecture.

Roseannebarr
08-24-2012, 10:54 AM

I am a Harry Potter book collector from Argentina, I used to have a popular website in Spanish (she even sent me a signed book and a letter "as a mark of my grattitude" for what I've done, but I never met her.

J.k. Rowling is going to publish hew new book and do a signing in London on 27 september. Luckily, I get a ticket for that event, where she will be reading and signing a copy of the book per person.

The problem is I just visited Europe (and London) this last march, and coming back just for this event is something really expensive. I would be spending almost 1600 USD, when my monthly payment is 500 USD. I contacted her agents to see if there was a chance of a little meeting with her, in the backstage maybe, because i travel from far away, but they said it was impossible.

So, if I travel, I will only be present in the reading and after that, only a few seconds while she signs my book (maybe I can tell her who I am or from where I come), but nothing else.

I want to ask you, that have been in a lot of book signings and appearances and readings, is it worthly? Is it something great and unique and etc? Should I go?

PS: If I don't travel, i would get the dedicated book anyway, cause a friend of mine who lives in London will attend with my ticket and say my name in the signing moment. :)

The only author I travel to see is Stephen King. So my opinion is biased. I say no.

Randall Flagg
08-24-2012, 11:14 AM

I wouldn't spend 3 times my monthly mortgage to see any author-not even King.

divemaster
08-24-2012, 11:35 AM
If you will be getting the signed book anyway, I'd say skip traveling for the event. However, if you are really crushed on her, who could tell you not to go? If I had the chance to meet Maggie Cheung, I'd try to go just to have my heart go pitter-pat.

But maybe that's just me.

Ricky
08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
The Free Library of Philadelphia has the event posted on their website for October 20. It is free, but no mention if it is a signing or just a lecture.

I saw that, but haven't called them yet. If info. will really be posted on Cronin's site only 2-4 weeks before the tour starts, I might call them just to get some more details and be on the safe side.

I think I did see somewhere on their site, though, where it says a typical author event is a 30 min. reading, 30 min. Q&A, and a book signing.